Thread: conversion

minorthreat360

conversion

im going to start buying stuff for a 98+ front end conversion for my 96 firebird, there ways a guy that did it to his trans am and he had a realy good write up on it, he had every thing u need an all the parts numbers and pics from him doing it, does any one have the link to his site?? it ways a blue/green trans am and he was from this site. its was about a year ago he did the write up.

BlackHawk T/A
    Why?

minorthreat360
    because i need a new hood left fender, head light.
    so i might as well do the 98+ conversion,
    i always loved the 98+ body style

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

good luck i made my 84 monte look like an 87, 88 ss had t tops put in, spoiler trunk deck, front clip, and changed back bumper and light, if you like it, do it good luck show as some before and after shots thanks jeremy

Impounded

Pewter
    2000 Firehawk #506 A4

I'm doing the same thing with my 96 Camaro. From the research I've done, it all pretty much bolts on. I've seen more Trans Am conversions than Camaro conversions and I think I recall seeing something about changing the headlight harness on the T/A's. I know that you have to change the fender mounts on the Camaro, not sure about the T/A. Anyhoo...

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

It should be all bolt ons. Good luck.

Impounded

Pewter
    2000 Firehawk #506 A4

I JUST FOUND THIS, IT SHOULD HELP...

I've recieved probably close to 100 pms and emails from all over the world on how to do this.. There used to be a great site but it's no longer active. I"m working on maybe putting a site together but for now i'm working on a write up. I'll be presenting plenty of pictures and part numbers. Even the site I used it was missing many part numbers. I have found each and every part number and will be posting them here. If you have questiosn please continue to pm or email me at Davidnewman3@hotmail.com and I will continue to help Thanks David.

While i'm getting part numbers let me just make a common list.
    98+hood
    98+headlights (these are on back order and I recommend ebay and plan to take this in the butt)
    98+fenders
    98+bumper cover
    98+reinforcement (foam under bumper)
    if you are upgrading to a T/A
    93+ T/A hatch will work
    93+ T/A rear bumper
    93+ T/A Side Skirts

Also you will want to get the 98+ fbody windshield wipers. These aren't required for the conversion to fit however it does complete the look.

FYI I've also upgraded the interior from graphite to ebony which is found in the 00-02 fbodys. everything is a direct fit except the dashs and consoles. the dashes on the 97+ yes 97+ are different and the consoles are different..I'll give more detail to what. If you want to swap dashes and consoles please go ahead and buy it. If you have a question you may email or pm me.

Something to think about if you have a formula or firebird and decide to use a 98+ t/a front bumber it will look weird with out the side skirts and then the sideskirts will look weird without the t/a rear bumper... A thought to keep in mind if you choose to change styles as well.

I had a 95 formula. It's not 00-02 T/A in and out minus the engine/wireharness.

Recommendation. IF you have the headlights go ahead and buy a brass gear rebuild kit. Your motor will eventually give out. IF you rebuild it now it will probably last as long as you have the car if not forever and it will save you $100 in the long run. Also because you are using expoxy I suggest doing it now so your not in a rush to get your motor working again like i did

minorthreat360
    thanks for the help when i start it i will email u

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Good luck man!!! Take your time and make it nice!!

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by p_funk22
    I JUST FOUND THIS, IT SHOULD HELP...

I've recieved probably close to 100 pms and emails from all over the world on how to do this.. There used to be a great site but it's no longer active. I"m working on maybe putting a site together but for now i'm working on a write up. I'll be presenting plenty of pictures and part numbers. Even the site I used it was missing many part numbers. I have found each and every part number and will be posting them here. If you have questiosn please continue to pm or email me at Davidnewman3@hotmail.com and I will continue to help Thanks David.

While i'm getting part numbers let me just make a common list.
    98+hood
    98+headlights (these are on back order and I recommend ebay and plan to take this in the butt)
    98+fenders
    98+bumper cover
    98+reinforcement (foam under bumper)
    if you are upgrading to a T/A
    93+ T/A hatch will work
    93+ T/A rear bumper
    93+ T/A Side Skirts

Also you will want to get the 98+ fbody windshield wipers. These aren't required for the conversion to fit however it does complete the look.

FYI I've also upgraded the interior from graphite to ebony which is found in the 00-02 fbodys. everything is a direct fit except the dashs and consoles. the dashes on the 97+ yes 97+ are different and the consoles are different..I'll give more detail to what. If you want to swap dashes and consoles please go ahead and buy it. If you have a question you may email or pm me.

Something to think about if you have a formula or firebird and decide to use a 98+ t/a front bumber it will look weird with out the side skirts and then the sideskirts will look weird without the t/a rear bumper... A thought to keep in mind if you choose to change styles as well.

I had a 95 formula. It's not 00-02 T/A in and out minus the engine/wireharness.

Recommendation. IF you have the headlights go ahead and buy a brass gear rebuild kit. Your motor will eventually give out. IF you rebuild it now it will probably last as long as you have the car if not forever and it will save you $100 in the long run. Also because you are using expoxy I suggest doing it now so your not in a rush to get your motor working again like i did
    is this you or sombody you found???

Impounded

Pewter
    2000 Firehawk #506 A4

somebody i found

Impounded

Pewter
    2000 Firehawk #506 A4

216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:LnRKcPXHaXUJ:64.65.219.6/greenmonster/conv.htm+&hl=en

Impounded

Pewter
    2000 Firehawk #506 A4

don't forget the http colon forward slash forward slash in front. sorry they won't let me post url's yet so i have to spell it out.

I'm doing the same thing with my 96 Camaro. From the research I've done, it all pretty much bolts on. I've seen more Trans Am conversions than Camaro conversions and I think I recall seeing something about changing the headlight harness on the T/A's. I know that you have to change the fender mounts on the Camaro, not sure about the T/A. Anyhoo...
    how involved is changing the camaro over. i got a 95 and i wanna do the same thing. can the 98+ air box be used on the LT1. im planin on transplanting an LS6 or LS2 in when i get some funds so i wanna get as much done as possible. what all has to be done to make it a 98 +. and did you change the dash? how hard was that?

Impounded

Pewter
    2000 Firehawk #506 A4

i'm still collecting body parts right now. my wife won't let me get everything and just do it, so i have to do it over time, but i didn't plan on changing the dash. the only interior changes i thought about were the center console and maybe getting leather seats and door panels. i don't know if the airbox will fit, sorry. i have the K&N cold air intake and i was told that the fog light hole on the 98+ bumper goes right to where my filter is located so it acts kinda like a ram air. i'll try to look around for people that have used the stock airbox. so far i've only found 2 people that have done the camaro conversion and like 5 that have done the trans am. i have a list of parts you will need for the conversion at work, i will post when i go in on monday. the most expensive parts are the hood & rims. i have the salad shooter 16's now and i want to get some zr-1 17's. that'll be expensive and ss hoods are about $450. anyway, good luck.

i'm still collecting body parts right now. my wife won't let me get everything and just do it, so i have to do it over time, but i didn't plan on changing the dash. the only interior changes i thought about were the center console and maybe getting leather seats and door panels. i don't know if the airbox will fit, sorry. i have the K&N cold air intake and i was told that the fog light hole on the 98+ bumper goes right to where my filter is located so it acts kinda like a ram air. i'll try to look around for people that have used the stock airbox. so far i've only found 2 people that have done the camaro conversion and like 5 that have done the trans am. i have a list of parts you will need for the conversion at work, i will post when i go in on monday. the most expensive parts are the hood & rims. i have the salad shooter 16's now and i want to get some zr-1 17's. that'll be expensive and ss hoods are about $450. anyway, good luck.
    thats would be great. i think im goin with the lim-eds 2002 ss wheels. and paint it black. that would look sick. but thanks for your help!

Impounded

Pewter
    2000 Firehawk #506 A4

CAMARO FRONT END CONVERSION

Hood
    Fenders
    Nose
    Under-nose plastic paneling
    Bumper Reinforcement
    Impact bumper (foam piece that sits behind the nose)
    Headlights
    Headlight brackets
    Front Bumper Center Support
    Fog lamp brackets
    Fog lamps / these of course are optional
    Lower fender brackets
    Upper fender brackets

Despite what many say - it's not necessary to change the intake to an LS-1 style lid. The Lt-1 style off to the right works fine if not better since if you have a CAI the fog lamp opening on the newer nose tends to work like a ram air. Just something to think about.

The conversion is almost a straight bolt up but be patient. The adjustment to make it look just right takes time. Those headlights are a bitch. It's going to take a lot of bolting down, checking, unbolting, adjust, bolt down to make it look just right. I still haven't got everything just right. So good luck but I think it's worth it.

thanks dude. ill let you know how things go. good luck!

Thread Information