Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

cleaning up my engine bay a bit...

I decided since my TA is down until at least Thursday waiting for the steering rack (damn you shop for sending me the wrong one!), I decided it would be a good time to : relocate the wires in my engine (thank you museum stickies!!), paint my intake/valve covers/lid/bumper brace and basically detail my engine bay. I believe I’m doing glossy black on both the intake/brace but can’t decide between white or black on my lid (it’s real dirty white and cracked paint right now) & red or black with my valve covers.
    My question is, any special precautions to take as I am taking these apart, painting, putting back on? And I’m not sure if the gaskets are rubber or not … should I go ahead and get new gasket kits for these if they are not rubber? Any other pointers or heads up would be awesome

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Just make sure you tape off the runners and any area that will be sealed to prevent overspray. Also make sure you sand them real good and use a high temp paint. Start with 200 grit and work your way up to a 2000 grit.
    Dont re-use the gaskets, get a new set.
    It took me three times to find the color i liked..
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

I bought new gaskets from GM-they are the only black ones I could find. $45 just so that I could have black friggin gaskets...only an enthusiast would appreciate that.

On a white car, that red will stick out, so make sure you have some other minor red things in there that will help unify everything.

Custom Car Emblems
    from third_shift|studios
    Pittsburgh Car Detailing & Paint Protection from ts|s detailing
    jaison tortorea

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

My thinking is i want very few things red (ie: the exterior is white with black accents and red calipers) ... My engine bay is mostly stock minus a white (painted) k&n lid ... I dont want all black in there, but i dont want white valve covers bc they will get all grimey so im wanting to do those parts before i start the pretty dressing up (which btw, i love the stuff TSS offers) ... ill try and get a pic tomorrow to show what im working with here

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Thank you for the compliment! the more i think of it, the more the red valve covers sound really rad to me. Especially if they are the only thing red, then do your manifold in gloss black and get a white dress up kit from us. If you get me a good shot of the engine from straight on, i'll photoshop you some color combos etc.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Sounds badass to me, I'll take one after I lower the engine back in tonight!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by tep98ws6 View Post
    I decided since my TA is down until at least Thursday waiting for the steering rack (damn you shop for sending me the wrong one!)
    same damned thing happened to me this week!!!

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    same damned thing happened to me this week!!!
    Its aggravating as hell!!! Ive had to wait three weeks for the right rack and Ive told them part numbers and arrggh its annoying. I took pics, showed them the differences and its like WTF just listen to meeee!!!! But at least its a fairly easy install

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Its aggravating as hell!!! Ive had to wait three weeks for the right rack and Ive told them part numbers and arrggh its annoying. I took pics, showed them the differences and its like WTF just listen to meeee!!!! But at least its a fairly easy install

i thought i could get away with the odd angle on the rack but i couldn't... headers were in hte way... so hopefull my correct one will be in this week and i'll have my car together again over the week end... then i just have to get a front end alignment done...

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    i thought i could get away with the odd angle on the rack but i couldn't... headers were in hte way... so hopefull my correct one will be in this week and i'll have my car together again over the week end... then i just have to get a front end alignment done...
    same here but mine wouldn't go over the steering knuckle. it was so close but i don't want to F it up. they look so similar minus where the I shaft connects (it's a slightly different angle). i'm hoping to have mine finished tomorrow night and aligned by friday *fingers crossed*

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    Thank you for the compliment! the more i think of it, the more the red valve covers sound really rad to me. Especially if they are the only thing red, then do your manifold in gloss black and get a white dress up kit from us. If you get me a good shot of the engine from straight on, i'll photoshop you some color combos etc.

What do you think? Work your magic

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Dang girl you been busy...

I would go red on the valve covers. Then again, I am partial to the color red

I hope you get the correct steering rack soon!!!

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Dang girl you been busy...

I would go red on the valve covers. Then again, I am partial to the color red

I hope you get the correct steering rack soon!!!
    yes, yes i have! haha. i FINALLY got the rack in tonight ... gonna mount the eng back in and put the alt back in tomorrow and i should be all set im so excited, i've been trans am-less for two weeks now!

i like red... i only have a tiny bit of red on the car and thats my calipers so i think it should be fitting

thank you for the feedback!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Awesome! I know how you feel. When I got my last mods installed, I didn't have my car for 3 weeks. I thought I was going to die! I am painting my calipers red this winter. I'm sure you'll keep us posted on your progress with everything.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

i hope so ... unless my untrustworthy jack drops it on me when im under it haha

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

i hope so ... unless my untrustworthy jack drops it on me when im under it haha
    Damn lol. Better get you some jack stands lol.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

yes, yes i have! haha. i FINALLY got the rack in tonight ... gonna mount the eng back in and put the alt back in tomorrow and i should be all set im so excited, i've been trans am-less for two weeks now!

i like red... i only have a tiny bit of red on the car and thats my calipers so i think it should be fitting

thank you for the feedback!
    I'm going on 3 months now.

Thread Information