Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Change speedometer light color?

I have the stock yellowish color for the 96Z gauges, I want to change them to light blue or white or somthing. I was told all I needed to do is go buy an LED color from like autozone and take out the steering wheel and replace the light somwhere (well thats how it was done on a probe) would it be any different with the camaro?

NBM
    98 trans am

I Dont Knowww!!

NBM
    98 trans am

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

you arite bud?

NBM
    98 trans am

i like to take long walks on the beach

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

check the sticky in this section called appearance museum. this is in it along with the rest of the red leds in the car.

The Devil You Know!! TooFastT/A's Avatar

Arctic White
    1998 Trans Am WS7

Ok...don't go the Auto Zone route...Changing just the light bulbs in your gauge cluster will sometimes work, but you also got to remember...the back of the stock gauge overlay has strips of colored vinyl on it and is a PITA to get off! By changing to a different colored bulb, it will come out like partially that colored bulb combined with the colors of the strips on the back of the gauge! Here's a site you might want to check out:
    http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

They are cheaper than going to an auto parts store and payin like $3 for a single LED and these are Bright as Shit! Trust me, thats what I have on my interior!:

-Justin

1998 WS7 T/A M6| SLP:Lid,Line Lock,LM Exhaust w/ORY,Skip Shift| Pacesetter LT| 80mm BBK TB| Centerforce LS6 Clutch| Eaton Detroit TrueTrac Differential| MAC Diff.Carrier Girdle| 3:73 Gears| Spohn Cntrl Arms| Hotchkis Adj PHB| H&R Lowering Sp.Springs| NX 150 Shot Direct Port|More Mods... FQuick Page

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by TooFastT/A View Post
    Ok...don't go the Auto Zone route...Changing just the light bulbs in your gauge cluster will sometimes work, but you also got to remember...the back of the stock gauge overlay has strips of colored vinyl on it and is a PITA to get off! By changing to a different colored bulb, it will come out like partially that colored bulb combined with the colors of the strips on the back of the gauge! Here's a site you might want to check out:

They are cheaper than going to an auto parts store and payin like $3 for a single LED and these are Bright as Shit! Trust me, thats what I have on my interior!:

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

-Justin

So did you just replace the stock bubls with one of those super bright ones?

Arctic White
    1998 Trans Am WS7

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    So did you just replace the stock bubls with one of those super bright ones?
    Yes, except for the gauge cluster...which is a Silver Faced Reverse EL Glow Gauge. All of my interior lighting ie: Headlight Switch Panel, HVAC, Doors, Map/Dome, Glovebox, Center Console...all changed out with LED's from that place.

Again, my gauge is a different matter, before I got the EL Glow Gauge, I replaced the bulbs in the cluster with LED's, and the result was poor! It was really dim and I couldn't even see the RPM or Speed #'s!

I then got my Reverse EL Glow Gauge, and the difference is night and day....since it lights up utilizing it's own light "strips" on the back!

Here's a pic of what the Gauge looks like during the day, and as you can see, it is not the stock gauge face:

-Justin

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Where did you get that reverse gauge or whatever its called. I just want to change the lighting somhow lol

Arctic White
    1998 Trans Am WS7

Where did you get that reverse gauge or whatever its called. I just want to change the lighting somhow lol
    Well, I got it from this place http://www.procarparts.com/advanced_...eb1e70&x=0&y=0

Though they don't carry the one that I got for my car anymore, but you have a maro, so
    you should be able to find the one for you. If not, just google "Reverse EL Glow Gauge" and
    you should find some good places.

Let me know

-Justin
    Last edited by TooFastT/A; 06-22-2008 at 12:21 AM.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Well, I got it from this place http://www.procarparts.com/advanced_...eb1e70&x=0&y=0

Though they don't carry the one that I got for my car anymore, but you have a maro, so
    you should be able to find the one for you. If not, just google "Reverse EL Glow Gauge" and
    you should find some good places.

Let me know

-Justin

So if i order the guages do I still need to get new bulbs?

Arctic White
    1998 Trans Am WS7

So if i order the guages do I still need to get new bulbs?
    NO, not for the Gauge! The EL Glow gauge has it's own lighting source via the Electroluminescent Light "strips" on the back. It has 2 wires (red=power, black=ground) that attaches to the Headlight Switch Panel.
    Your old bulbs will have nothing to do with the EL Glow Gauge, except for the bulbs that illuminate the needles, and the mileage.

-Justin

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

-Justin
    Quick question, when you ordered the LEDs from the site, which bulbs did you use for the HVAC and the for the area to turn on the headlights? Along with that small light next to the door handle? Thx in advance

Arctic White
    1998 Trans Am WS7

Quick question, when you ordered the LEDs from the site, which bulbs did you use for the HVAC and the for the area to turn on the headlights? Along with that small light next to the door handle? Thx in advance
    You'll need 5 total #74 Wedge Base Bulbs in your choice of color on this page http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b....14604&next=50

2 for HVAC, 2 for the Doors, and 1 for the Headlight Switch Panel.
    The Headlight Switch LED your gonna have to solder it in.....if you need help once you get there, I can walk you through it and provide some write-ups!

Hope this helps

-Justin

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

You'll need 5 total #74 Wedge Base Bulbs in your choice of color on this page http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b....14604&next=50

2 for HVAC, 2 for the Doors, and 1 for the Headlight Switch Panel.
    The Headlight Switch LED your gonna have to solder it in.....if you need help once you get there, I can walk you through it and provide some write-ups!

Hope this helps

-Justin

Yea I went ahead and ordered the reverse glow, I heard its super bright but we will see, if I dont like it then I will just sell it or somthing. As for the other lights, if you can provide a write up that would be great because im not soo good at that kind of stuff and I will probably end up getting either blue lights like urs or white.

Thread Information