stangkillerta99

cant find this hood

looking for this hood

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/305716/3

let me know if you know anything

1966 Corvette Coupe

its a mecham hood....

thats bout all i can tell you.... although i think ive read that the quality really isnt there, but someone will chime in a straighten me out...

It is a Mecham and I have also heard they dont fit well. you can see the huge gaps in some of the pics. I also dont like how it meets the nose of the car. Looks weird!

1966 Corvette Coupe

i always thought that those vents on a ws6 hood would be WICKED!!!!!, alas... not having money to blow buying a hood to just cut apart... prolly never get to find out for myself...

Beast
    http://www.lmperformance.com/3092/1.html

Or you can google "firebird heat extractor hood" and you should be able to see some different ones.

1999 Chevy Camaro

Yeah thats a sweet hood! I'm thinking of getting the Camaro ver. Lionel, has the one I'm thinking of going with.

Rob

Maroon
    2000 a4 z28

If you get one be sure to remove the hood struts, or get ones that require less force to close to avoid cracking on the edges. Notorious on the TA hoods. The Camaro ones don't crack , but stress marks will appear on the top where the struts mount underneath. As far as fit, i only had to shave an 1/8 of an inch or so along one edge in several spots to make the seam look right. I have worked with fiberglass for years, so i was expecting a nightmare when i ordered it. Turned out to be a better piece of work then i expected, and involved less prep then i thought it would. I've preped and painted two of the Ta hoods. No problems to this date.
    Last edited by FloridaZ; 11-17-2005 at 01:52 PM.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    01 Super Sexy SS

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZ
    If you get one be sure to remove the hood struts, or get ones that require less force to close to avoid cracking on the edges. Notorious on the TA hoods. The Camaro ones don't crack , but stress marks will appear on the top where the struts mount underneath. As far as fit, i only had to shave an 1/8 of an inch or so along one edge in several spots to make the seam look right. I have worked with fiberglass for years, so i was expecting a nightmare when i ordered it. Turned out to be a better piece of work then i expected, and involved less prep then i thought it would. I've preped and painted two of the Ta hoods. No problems to this date.
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!
    SWEET Ride...

1999 Chevy Camaro

Yeah Florida has the same hood as Lionel. I want to get that hood. I was kinda leaning toward the huge cowl, but after seeing it inside and out. I think thats the hood for me .

Rob

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

so i was expecting a nightmare when i ordered it
    So what you're saying is that the consumer should expect to pay $1000 only to receive a POS product that has to be modified to fit correctly, can no longer use stock hood struts, and has to be careful how they close it so as to not crack it?

Sorry, I just don't see it I like the looks of the Mecham hood and would have been happy to spend the money if it was a quality piece. It might be OK for you since you have alot of extensive experience with fiberglass - but the normal consumer does not and ain't gonna be happy when it doesn't fit.

Hell, if GM can make the stock WS6 hood to fit - then anyone should be able to...

Maroon
    2000 a4 z28

I hear ya. For the price you would think you could get somthing that fits like a glove. Then again i've always expected anything fiberglass to be a pain in the ass.

thx Wicked
    Last edited by FloridaZ; 11-18-2005 at 02:54 AM.

1999 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6
    So what you're saying is that the consumer should expect to pay $1000 only to receive a POS product that has to be modified to fit correctly, can no longer use stock hood struts, and has to be careful how they close it so as to not crack it?

Sorry, I just don't see it I like the looks of the Mecham hood and would have been happy to spend the money if it was a quality piece. It might be OK for you since you have alot of extensive experience with fiberglass - but the normal consumer does not and ain't gonna be happy when it doesn't fit.

Hell, if GM can make the stock WS6 hood to fit - then anyone should be able to...
    Yeah thats what I'm afraid of as well! Hate to spend the money on something, to find out it needs major work or doesn't fit at all. I mean how hard can it be?

Rob

Maroon
    2000 a4 z28

Honestly nobody would ever notice if the lines were a little off. Very few will spot it or even look for it. Even if your going to be showing it, the lines wont matter, the hood will be up anyway. If you hang with a car club, some of them might spot it. Outside of that, chances of anyone catching it are pretty slim. Esspecially imo if the car is nice overall. People are to busy looking at everything else to even care. Just have whoever paints it, use a high build primer, get some weaker struts (or leave them off), and you'll be set.

Thread Information