Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caliper Paint??

last of the breed... urstolendesire's Avatar

Red
    2002 Transam

Caliper Paint??

Arright so I do still have the stock brakes on my T/A and stock chrome wheels but I've been thinking about painting the calipers red...What kind of feedback can I get here. lol, I've had people tell me that because their stock it just wouldent be right or some people say it would look good...Iunno? Anyone have a red T/A with pics??

Red
    2001 ws6

i dont have any pictures.....i did it on my GTP and it looked sexi, on these cars i dont like it IMO looks tacki

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

i used to have a red 02 ta and i used masey furgesen red farm paint from the parts store comes in a little spray can matched great and never chipped. it really made the car pop and i loved driving another car while my wife drove the ta while going down the highway thats when you really see the difference.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

i think red would be tacky. . i painted mine with satin black high heat. cleans em up but doesn't look tacky

pewter
    00 TA m6 vert

IMO it depends on your exterior. I painted my Navy Blue Metallic T/A's calipers chevy orange... and I thought it looked awesome, so I painted my pewter T/a's too.... but ended up spraying those black after about week because it looked so tacky. Play around with a few diferent colors, you'll find something you like.

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I think you should paint them red. I have my calipers red and the brackets silver to match my color scheme. i think that painted calipers look good.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

I did black and the brackets shiny silver and am very happy.

Bright Red
    99 Z28 M6, 03 Gixxer 1000

I did my calipers and brackets in black. Seen many cars with aftermarket red that didn't look good. My .02

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28 vert

I had my painted silver on my black car but when ythe paint started to chip i thought whats diffrent. I endded up polishing mine, very tedious but well worth the couple hours it takes.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I would probably go with black or polished on a red T/A. Check the pic of mine below. Do your rotors too while your in there. FANTASTIC!

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

My stock calipers. I like 'em.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

i painted mine red and it didnt look tacky it looked hot.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size
    that looks pretty good !!. . . if you go with red, i think the decals/badges are a must!!

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size
    Sweet! I was just about to ask what someone thought that would look like red on a pewter F-body. Now I know! Reason I was gonna ask is because my dad just painted his red on his white '02 SSEi when he changed his rotors and has a can of red with some left in it, and a whole NEW can of red, and a new can of clear. Changing my rotors in a week or so too so I figured I would give it a shot on my Pewter WS6 (I can always change it later to something else if I don't like it, and I'm not out any money on the paint this time). I had painted red ones on a red car once and loved them.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Just make sure you properly prep them before putting down the enamel. It took me and a friend about 9 hours in the garage to do mine. Took off the calipers, covered the car twice over with plastic, set the calipers on blocks (didn't disconnect them so we wouldn't have to bleed the brakes) and removed the brackets. We sanded down the machine seams with a rotary tool and took a soft brush to the surface to smooth everything out. Cleaned off any dirt with Simple Green. Then once everything was prepped, put down two coats of clear adhesive primer, then three coats of the base (red for the calipers, black for the brackets). Once all was dry, slapped on the decals then put down three coats of clear coat, let dry and installed them back on the car. I've had them done for several years now and they've held up nicely (those pictures I posted were taken a few months ago). I used the Duplicolor high temp engine enamel as well but had to settle for their Ford Red color option as the Chevrolet red they had at the time was more orange in color.

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Thumbs up

Just make sure you properly prep them before putting down the enamel. It took me and a friend about 9 hours in the garage to do mine. Took off the calipers, covered the car twice over with plastic, set the calipers on blocks (didn't disconnect them so we wouldn't have to bleed the brakes) and removed the brackets. We sanded down the machine seams with a rotary tool and took a soft brush to the surface to smooth everything out. Cleaned off any dirt with Simple Green. Then once everything was prepped, put down two coats of clear adhesive primer, then three coats of the base (red for the calipers, black for the brackets). Once all was dry, slapped on the decals then put down three coats of clear coat, let dry and installed them back on the car. I've had them done for several years now and they've held up nicely (those pictures I posted were taken a few months ago). I used the Duplicolor high temp engine enamel as well but had to settle for their Ford Red color option as the Chevrolet red they had at the time was more orange in color.
    Thanks man! I ordered the Trans Am decals for mine. Last time I did caliper painting I used Naptha to clean them. That's the same brand of paint that I've got to use (the Duplicolor high temp engine enamel). I'll take your advice on the number of coats as I want this to last. Thanks for the advice.

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by fluke View Post
    Thanks man! I ordered the Trans Am decals for mine. Last time I did caliper painting I used Naptha to clean them. That's the same brand of paint that I've got to use (the Duplicolor high temp engine enamel). I'll take your advice on the number of coats as I want this to last. Thanks for the advice.
    I put the trans am decals on mine too. silver on red. looks nice. it adds a nice touch to the car.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

You're welcome. Just remember, as with polishing/waxing, proper prep makes a huge difference.

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

did you just use normal clear coat? and how many cans of the actual color? i think im goin to do this here soon...

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Yes, Duplicolor makes a clear coat enamel. I believe I put down overall, two cans of red/black base coat.

Quote Originally Posted by gable2000ta View Post
    did you just use normal clear coat? and how many cans of the actual color? i think im goin to do this here soon...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information