Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AVS tail light blackouts

Anyone here have AVS tail light blackouts for their 4th gen Firebird? How do they mount on, just snap in place or do you have to use 2 way tape?

Black
    2001 Pontiac

Snap in place, ...
    But be careful, they are known to fall off at highway speed, & get stolen.
    Known to melt the Camaro taillights, but not the Firebird.
    AutoVentShade #33041, available from your local auto supply store, but they usually have to order them in.
    You'll get mixed reviews, some people like them, some hate them, ...

Thanks for the quick reply. Well, since we don't see as many fbodies on the roads these days, at least there will be less of a demand to steal them. It's good to hear they snap in place, that's nice for being able to take them off and on without some messy adhesive or velcro being on the tail light. But if I do get them, I'll have to be careful at the higher speeds like you said. So are we talking highway speeds like 55mph, or 130+ mph??

Yeah I heard something about the melting too, thats too bad they do that on the Camaros.

1999 Chevy Camaro

If were talking about the same thing,... I know some people use 150mph automotive velcro to keep them on. Just an idea.

Rob
    Last edited by graphicsgod; 05-08-2006 at 04:32 AM.

red
    04 pontiac gto

word of advise take them off before going through a car wash.i went into a touchless car wash(one where you pull in and park your car) and my passenger side blew right off.good thing after the cylce was done i got out and pick it up .

thanks graphicgod im gonna try the velcro

NOIRtist. //
    I used Nite Shades to black my tails out, I think its the way to go personally. Light shows through great and theres no worries of the covers like them melting or falling off or getting stolen. I'll post up pics in a minute.

NOIRtist. //

red
    04 pontiac gto

looks good.but i like the ability to take them off when needed.i only had one problem with my taillight covers and thats because the blower from the car wash was directly on them when it blew off.i actually used nightshade but for my 3rd brake light.i made a logo masked it off and sprayed over with the night shade.that stuff does work awesome.i also notice you did you side markers.how many coats did you apply?

NOIRtist. //
    only a few.. so they arent as black as the tails and 3rd brake light. we ran out of the stuff. maybe like 3-5 coats i think.

Looks real good Saint. I still like to be able to take them off at will though, but still I am surprised at those results. Its sort of a pain to have to do the spray on though isn't it? Ideally, you would have to remove the tail light fixtures to do a clean job -- I don't know if I can be bothered with that level of work and to know I can't just remove the blackout as easily as a lens.

black
    1996 mark VIII

Quote Originally Posted by saint
    Click for full size

Click for full size

Where's a guy go about getting some of that?

You just tell the cops it's factory when they harass you or?

Do your reflectors still function at night?

Is it durable?

User friendly?

That's sexy!

Thanks!

red
    04 pontiac gto

Quote Originally Posted by low_dreams

Is it durable?

User friendly?

That's sexy!

Thanks!
    i have used it .it seems very durable and user friendly .as for the cops thats my worry on doing the side markers.i also changed out my reg oem bulbs with leds to make it shine brighter on my 3rd brake.

NOIRtist. //
    Quote Originally Posted by apache
    Looks real good Saint. I still like to be able to take them off at will though, but still I am surprised at those results. Its sort of a pain to have to do the spray on though isn't it? Ideally, you would have to remove the tail light fixtures to do a clean job -- I don't know if I can be bothered with that level of work and to know I can't just remove the blackout as easily as a lens.
    I'd never want to take them off, lol which is why I opted for the spray. It was a little time consuming, I actually did a writeup on ls1tech its a sticky in the appearance hall of fame: click here to see the thread. And taking the tails off is real easy, their are only a few little plastic screws holding them on.

Quote Originally Posted by low_dreams

Is it durable?

User friendly?

That's sexy!

Thanks!
    You can find it online, like Summit and what not.

I've never had a cop bother me about it, 5 months going. Here in NJ or on my vacation in FL. The light shines through pretty well, better than youd think. You can see the honey comb in direct sunlight and at night without a problem. It looks lightly smoked at night, not blacked out. And the sidemarkers too.

So far its been pretty durable, just follow that write up i posted and slap some clear coat over it. It may fade down the road, but you could probably just wet sand it off and redo it. (years from now)

Again, lol yeah pretty easy. Just give the write up a read. The only thing you gotta becareful is doing VERY thin coats and letting it get tacky before going back at it. We were running out so we threw what was left in the can on them during our last coat, and it built up and ran a tiny little bit on the left tail. Its hardly noticable, but it bugs the crap out of me... lol

Good luck. Got any other questions, feel free to ask.

Santino. // Fail2Fall.com

Saint thanks for the info. I guess following the nightshades route is good if you don't really plan to go back to the normal lights. Considering the steps in your sticky, it seems somewhat of a permanent appearance change. Sure you can remove the nightshades, but at this point you have sanded down and altered your stock tail lights. I am still going to go with AVS blackout lenses. I don't really like the idea of sanding my tail lights and doing all this work, especially when because my tastes change sometimes and I may want to remove lenses and see the normal tail lights. But good work though, you did a fantastic job on your vehicle.

NOIRtist. //
    Thanks a bunch man. I totally understand where youre comin from. My pal down in FL has a 93 bird with the AVS covers, he throws em on whenever he's feelin the blackout look. lol So i totally understand, good luck with them, they look bad ass.

black
    1996 mark VIII

Thanks Saint!

Apache- if you can accomplish putting that stuff on you can accomplish getting rid of it pretty easy.. Wetsanding is very fine and after a wetsand you can either buff it just like you buff your car, or simply put a coat of clear coat over it and it would be back to factory quality! With the clearcoat it might be a bit more shiny though.

I've just never run across the stuff before but I've thought to myself that it should exist! Lol.

Saint, if you were to spray that lightly, then clear over it on a set of chrome wheels, do you think it would be like 'black chrome', and look consistant if done properly.. or is it too runny for 'that even' of an application?

NOIRtist. //
    Theoretically, since its a translucent black paint, it should allow you to get some sort of smoked chrome look. However, dont think it would stick to the surface. You have to scuff the plastic first before you spray it, id imagine you'd have to do the same to your chrome. But hey, give it a shot, test it on like a cheap exhaust tip or something.

black
    1996 mark VIII

Red Scotch brite will work great. Won't be able to see the scratches after anything's sprayed over it..

I think I'll try it, when I get around to it I'll post back.

If It works great I'll probably do tips/wheels/everything else that's chrome. Just lightly though.

Thx!

NOIRtist. //
    Sounds good, let us know. It might be worth it for some nice black/chrome tips. I cant find any so making them might be a good way to go. Hell i can even try it on the stainless steel tips i have now.

white
    2000 transam ram air WS6

where do you buy the paint to black out youre taillights ??? thankss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information