Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SOM
    2002 SS

32% Tint BEFORE vs 22% Tint AFTER 01 Z28 ! PICS !!

Well After 2 weeks of staring at my car with 22% and letting it drive me nuts I took it back this morning for a re-tint. I went from 22% to 32%.

The 22% was just too dark. Dark enough that even in bright sunlight you couldn't even see inside the car. The semi-polarized effect of the dark tint was also more pronounced in cloudy weather or bright sunlight meaning it was mirror-like and impossible to see anything inside. From the Inside it was great. No Issues with visibility whatsoever even at night. From inside it was hard to even tell there was a tint on it.

The 32% is just perfect. Personally I like a 'clean' and 'oem-like- tint. Obviously OEM is restricted by the laws so they're probably from 35% and up. I always liked that they were dark but you could see through it. I'm not against the all black midnight tint at all I had it on my vette at one point ( I did tint my vette 5x in 2 weeks ) it just looks great on some cars and not so great on others to me. From some angles the 32% is just as dark as 22%. From the front especially though it makes almost all the windows incl the windshield appear more the same. That's what killed it for me with the 22% (when looking from the front the windshield was clear and the rest was pitch black- ugh).

ANyways here's the Details. Tint was done in Mississauga by Tint Master. These guys are awesome and always cut perfectly and leave no bubbles or marks. Always cut the rear glass in 1 piece (even harder on my c4 vette back window).
    The Film is SolarGuard Charcoal. I would have went with the NR 35% which is what I have on my vette but the NR has a 3 yr warranty and since it's a dye it will turn purple or fade after a few years. Since my vette stays in the garage alot and only comes out at night it wasn't a problem. Since my Z is 'supposed' to be a daily driver I felt the Charcoal with a lifetime warranty was the way to go.

Before ANy Tint (and mods)

After 22% was done

Shot of 22% at the tint shoppe this morning. Hate how the windshield doesnt match at all with the rest of the windows

This is after tint a few hours later 32%

kneeling down to see all windows thru the windshield

Now I'm at peace. I love it !! The car is obscenely dirty we just had rain for 2 weeks so I'll get some sharp pics of here tomorrow when i can clean her up real nice !

NBM
    2000 WS6

Either looks good. But you could be right as the 32 may look a little better.

Something I always wondered though is if all manufacturer's level of tint shade were all the same. Should be but is it ??
    2000 NBM WS6

/oo_________oo\
    |==_/_ws6_\_==|

><(((º>´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Looks good. I am envious -- quickest way to get pulled over and ticketed in my area (next to speeding) is to tint your windows. For some reason the cops are really adament about enforcing our state's bullshit tint laws.

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Looks good. I am envious -- quickest way to get pulled over and ticketed in my area (next to speeding) is to tint your windows. For some reason the cops are really adament about enforcing our state's bullshit tint laws.
    That sucks.

I've had 20% on my car for over 2 years now and never got stopped for them.

I even got pulled over at night and the cop jumped out of his car before I even got a chance to put the window down so he tapped on the glass and I put it down.

Not once did he even mention my tints and thats the most extreme scenario. So after that I think I'll be ok in my area but it really does depend on the particular cop.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

If I am in my car 9/10 the windows are down, doesn't matter what tint i have when i do that

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

In my area and im sure many who live in my area will agree tints on your car if they are too dark will be atleast a fix it ticket. The worse for me was im driving down a one lane road and both drivers and passenger side windows were down as i always did just in case and the cop goes through on coming traffic to get passed the cars behind me risking his life. Pulls me over and says roll up your windows, so i did and asked me do you know why im pulling you over, i said i know its not speeding, he said your windows are tinted and you dont have a front plate, lol. They should make vidz on america's dumbest cops not criminals. I would never ever risk my life to go through on coming traffic to pass up several cars just to get to someone for a fix it ticket which is what i got in the end driving to work.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Did you tint the front window? It looks like it from the front view. If not, wow those are some seriously tinted windows...

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    In my area and im sure many who live in my area will agree tints on your car if they are too dark will be atleast a fix it ticket. The worse for me was im driving down a one lane road and both drivers and passenger side windows were down as i always did just in case and the cop goes through on coming traffic to get passed the cars behind me risking his life. Pulls me over and says roll up your windows, so i did and asked me do you know why im pulling you over, i said i know its not speeding, he said your windows are tinted and you dont have a front plate, lol. They should make vidz on america's dumbest cops not criminals. I would never ever risk my life to go through on coming traffic to pass up several cars just to get to someone for a fix it ticket which is what i got in the end driving to work.
    10 yrs ago I was visiting my parents, my car registered in AL, no tint laws back then, so my rear was limo tint, and the sides where 20%, County Sheriff Deputy pulls me over, reads me the riot act about not having front plate, windows are tinted to much, blah, blah, blah. I told him I am station in AL, vehicle is register in AL, and AL has no front plate or tint laws. Still gives me ticket to fix. I go on Monday to the Sheriff office, talk with the Sheriff himself about how much one of his deputy is being a tool. He took ticket back and said have a nice visit and he'll have a word with him.

Silver
    00 Formula Firehawk

I used to have 3% tint on my Firebird and I got a ticket for that. The cop gave me shit about the legal limit being 32% and that the 2.8% was not going to work(the digital readout on his box said 2.8%). I am thinking about redoing the windows on my Camaro in some 20%. I kinda like the darker tint.

Black
    1968 Mustang LS6

3%? Might as well just spray them with black rustoleum... I have trouble seeing out of my 35% at night. Guess I'm getting old.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I have a real hard time seeing out of mine at night too...3% would never work for me

Silver
    00 Formula Firehawk

You get used to it after a week or so. I usually rolled down the windows if I had to back up at night.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Well my neck doesn't stick out very far like Jim Carrey can..i can't see out the back window when it's dark and mine is no darker than 20% so i'd be screwed

pewter
    1999 camaro ss #4288

great post! im jonesing to get my windows tinted but couldnt decide on 20% or 35%. i got a ticket on a previous car with 15%, but since the 32% looks good on your car, i think i will do the same.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

i need to get mine redone...theres several layers on my back glass, the 3rd peeled off last summer, the second is starting to ripple, about to peel it off. my fronts are starting to peel at the top. everyone around here wants an obscene amount to tint my car...like $350 or $400

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

btw...i think the 22 looks good, but your right, it looks funny compared to the front.

i think the 32 looks better on the white car

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    i need to get mine redone...theres several layers on my back glass, the 3rd peeled off last summer, the second is starting to ripple, about to peel it off. my fronts are starting to peel at the top. everyone around here wants an obscene amount to tint my car...like $350 or $400
    WOW thats robbery

Mine only cost $160 for the back and sides. The back is also one piece.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

yeah...i think the best i found around here was 85 for the sides and either 235 or 275 for the back alone

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    yeah...i think the best i found around here was 85 for the sides and either 235 or 275 for the back alone
    For that price it's cheaper for you to drive over here and get it done...

Black
    2001 Z28

Nice Looking tint on the car. I had limo all the way around and other than being less than legal in my state it completed the car black on black.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information