Black
    2001 Trans Am

Thumbs down 2001 T/A Paint Problem

The paint on my '01 T/A has started bubbling on the roof panel behind the TTops. They are small bubbles and when the first one appeared, it tooked like a drop of tree sap, it wasn't. Now I have about 15 of them. The rest of the car finish is fine. It seems to me that the material used to make the roof panel is not the same as the rest of the car, when I tap on it, it has a different sound. This car has been garaged most of its life (99%) and only has 9500 miles on it.

Has anyone else had this type of problem? I am guessing a repaint is the only solution to fixing the problem, but I need to know if there is any special type of primer I need to use on this roof panel to prevent it from happening again.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

I know on the Camaros that have the black panel behind the t-tops has a recall on it.

Black
    2001 Pontiac

Roof Bubble TSB
    03-08-98-001A

Replacement Part # 10254708

Need to replace the whole panel. It's the glue that GM used that's causing it. Repaint & it will just come back again.

Some dealers will work with ya, some won't, ...

Check this thread over on LS1Tech, ...
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...of+bubbles+tsb

There's link to a pdf file there on the first page.
    Print it & take it to your dealer.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Had the same problem with my 01TA. Dealerships didn't care cause my 3 year-36,000 warranty was up. This issue costs about $700-$900 to have done out of your own pocket. I called a Pontiac 800# and worked with this woman on the phone. I told her the service bulletin number and she got GM to pay for it for me under the 6 year corrosion warranty the cars come with. If I still had her name and exstension # I'd give it to you.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by PontiacFan
    Roof Bubble TSB
    03-08-98-001A

Replacement Part # 10254708

Need to replace the whole panel. It's the glue that GM used that's causing it. Repaint & it will just come back again.

Some dealers will work with ya, some won't, ...

Check this thread over on LS1Tech, ...
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...of+bubbles+tsb

There's link to a pdf file there on the first page.
    Print it & take it to your dealer.

I knew there was something one it.

Black
    2001 Trans Am

Cool

Whooa ! I had no idea this problem was so widespread. I want to thank you all for the info. The LS1Tech site has a lot of informaton. I have printed a copy of the service bulletin and plan on waving it in front of my dealer. I wonder why they didnt notify us.(hehe).

1999 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by scooley
    Whooa ! I had no idea this problem was so widespread. I want to thank you all for the info. The LS1Tech site has a lot of informaton. I have printed a copy of the service bulletin and plan on waving it in front of my dealer. I wonder why they didnt notify us.(hehe).
    Yeah that and the mechanical problems (power windows, stereos, and headlight motors...). The f-bodies were made as cheap as possible to allow them to charge 20-30 Tho. for em. ...Oh and GM doesn't care .

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Quote Originally Posted by scooley
    Ya I could just see Chevy admitting a problem like that and it not being safety related.

Black
    2001 Trans Am

Smile Major Update

I just called my dealer about the sail panel paint problem and informed him about the Service Bulletin. he told me "NO PROBLEM, LET'S GET IT FIXED RIGHT AWAY."

He had me fax him a copy of the SB that I got from LS1Tech. He called back and said that everything would be taken care of.

I'm not used to that type of service anymore. It was almost shocking. I gotta brag on Garlyn Shelton Motors.

Again, I want to thank you for the directions and support in helping me get this resolved.

Now, all I have to worry about is future windnoise.

RED
    2001 TRANS AM WS6 6SPD

Bubbles in paint

I Too Have Bubbles In The Paint On The Roof/pillars. After Looking At Various Sites This Is What I Came Up With.
    Service Bulletin # 03-08-98-001 Feb 1,2003
    Nhtsa # 10001120
    Change Of Service # 03-08-98-001a April 2, 2003
    Gm Service # 1283933
    Part # 10254708 ( Which Comes As A Kit) Do You Think Gm Knew Something?
    Gm # 1-800-222-1020
    Repaired Under 6 Yr Corrosion Warranty
    Glue Outgassing Causing The Bubbles Which Is A Latent Defect.
    Apparently Some People Have Not Had Any Trouble Getting Repaired For Free While Others Have Met Resistance Or Denial Due To 3yr/36000 Mile Warranty ( Which Reportedly Does Not Apply In This Case). May Need To Call Gm First. Hope This Helps

RED
    2001 TRANS AM WS6 6SPD

bubbles

Also it seems as though finding a dealer that is willing to do the repair under the 6yr paint warranty is the problem, they try to stick to original warranty work only. GM put out a statement in 1993 stating that paint is covered for 6 years. site is at auto safety.org
    Other owners recommend we print out all info we can and take to dealer with us, call gm before or after. sometimes gm will ok the work before you even talk with a dealer. Some of the owners were second owners, or over 50000 miles and still got repirs for free. It appears that we must stand our ground unless we are lucky enough to find a dealer close to home willing to perform the needed work. I hope this has offered some help. I am soooooo glad someone voiced a concern over this bubble problem, I thought I was the only one.

Thread Information