Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

white kinda fading clear coat

Ok so I believe the paint on my TA is still factory. On my rear right panel the clear coat is starting to fade white. it almost looks like the clear coat is dry and doesn't have the shiny look. If I wax the area it goes back to clear and shines real good for a few weeks if I don't wash the car. If I wash the car I notice the fading in about 2 days. Is there a product that will make this last longer or is it that my paint is reaching the end of it's lifetime?

I try to wax my car every 2 months. Twice a year I do a 3 step wax. I use meguiars cleaner wax and buff it out, then I use meguiars deep gloss polish and buff it out and finally meguiars techwax. I have been slacking this year and I have not done the 3 step process. I'm wondering if that is the reason of the fading or it's just the paint getting old. Thanks.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    Ok so I believe the paint on my TA is still factory. On my rear right panel the clear coat is starting to fade white. it almost looks like the clear coat is dry and doesn't have the shiny look. If I wax the area it goes back to clear and shines real good for a few weeks if I don't wash the car. If I wash the car I notice the fading in about 2 days. Is there a product that will make this last longer or is it that my paint is reaching the end of it's lifetime?

I try to wax my car every 2 months. Twice a year I do a 3 step wax. I use meguiars cleaner wax and buff it out, then I use meguiars deep gloss polish and buff it out and finally meguiars techwax. I have been slacking this year and I have not done the 3 step process. I'm wondering if that is the reason of the fading or it's just the paint getting old. Thanks.
    Mine turned white from oxidation and I used meguiars ultimate compound on it to bring it back to life...yours could be a different issue tho because my clear coat was not peeling or anything so I know my clear coat was in good shape. you could try it on a very small spot and see if it brings it back to life or not.

Here's a picture of what mine looked like...the right side of the picture is what the clear coat looked like before the rubbing compound was used. It was hazy, white, and splotchy in some areas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1010663_10151497577946430_654264451_n.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	25338
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 07-25-2013 at 05:47 AM.

If the clear isn't lifting, then it could be as easy as a simple buffing session to remove the oxidation.

I'd start with a mild polish like a swirl remover and set the buffer to a slow speed, work a small area and see what you get.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Yeah it might oxidation but why is it fine once I put some wax on and then goes back to same issue after I wash the car? I'm sorry for the questions but paint is not one of my strong areas.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Have the car machine polished by a professional to remove the oxidation (there are plenty in Florida!). Have them apply a durable sealant or glaze and wax. Only wash with car approved soaps that particularly say "does not remove wax."

Black / White

Yeah it might oxidation but why is it fine once I put some wax on and then goes back to same issue after I wash the car? I'm sorry for the questions but paint is not one of my strong areas.
    you are covering up the oxidized spots when you wax/polish it and after you wash it you are removing particles of wax which is allowing the oxidation to show through again. Until you have the oxidation taken care of "which is pretty easy" it'll keep doing the same thing over and over again. What kind of soap are you using to wash it?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    Have the car machine polished by a professional to remove the oxidation (there are plenty in Florida!). Have them apply a durable sealant or glaze and wax. Only wash with car approved soaps that particularly say "does not remove wax."
    no, I haven't done it professionally. As much they are good detailers there is a bunch that I won't trust. I guess I just haven't found the right one. I always use good soap. I will do my seasonal wax cleaning and see how it goes after that. It's kinda of hard now days with all the rain we get.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    you are covering up the oxidized spots when you wax/polish it and after you wash it you are removing particles of wax which is allowing the oxidation to show through again. Until you have the oxidation taken care of "which is pretty easy" it'll keep doing the same thing over and over again. What kind of soap are you using to wash it?
    this last bottle of soap was from turtle wax. It came in a gift basket my wife gave me. Any soap suggestions?

Black / White

this last bottle of soap was from turtle wax. It came in a gift basket my wife gave me. Any soap suggestions?
    I've used just about everything under the sun...meguiars, zaino, turtle, etc etc etc. Currently im using a soap from turtle wax also and I really like it. My TA is black like yours and it glosses the hell out of my car all by itself. Throw wax/polish on it and its like a giant black mirror. I will admit that zaino has a a slightly deeper shine than anything I have ever used before, but I like walking into auto-parts stores and buying stuff and I cant always get my hands on zaino without ordering it...

This is the one I'm using right now...it does not remove wax when you use it.

ICE Car Wash - Turtle Wax
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 07-26-2013 at 04:34 AM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I might get me some cleaner wax from meguiars. I used before as a first step and it gave me great results. I have a 6 inch sander with adjustable rpm and got the foam pad. maybe is time to bring it out.

That's what you'll need to do to rid the issue completely, it needs buffed if it's oxidized.

Black shows everything, and over time even the fine scratches from just wiping the car down will give it a hazy appearance, even with spray detailer and micro fiber towels. Every black car I've had usually needs a good buffing session every 2-3 years to keep it perfect. The joys of owning a black car

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I have to send my nose piece to a shop. The clear has come off in 3 places plus the damn bugs that form walls in this state have eaten it off. I was quoted $250 to fix the bug damage and repaint & clear.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I have to send my nose piece to a shop. The clear has come off in 3 places plus the damn bugs that form walls in this state have eaten it off. I was quoted $250 to fix the bug damage and repaint & clear.
    I dont drive my car at night because of that exact issue...I drive my $30,000 truck instead

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    that's reallllllly low...scary low.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

no, I haven't done it professionally. As much they are good detailers there is a bunch that I won't trust. I guess I just haven't found the right one. I always use good soap. I will do my seasonal wax cleaning and see how it goes after that. It's kinda of hard now days with all the rain we get.
    Look for someone through autopia.org-they have a detailer locator and its typically all high quality service

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    Look for someone through autopia.org-they have a detailer locator and its typically all high quality service
    ok thx I will check.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That's what you'll need to do to rid the issue completely, it needs buffed if it's oxidized.

Black shows everything, and over time even the fine scratches from just wiping the car down will give it a hazy appearance, even with spray detailer and micro fiber towels. Every black car I've had usually needs a good buffing session every 2-3 years to keep it perfect. The joys of owning a black car
    I see. I will buff it out next time. I will also check on that site TSS posted.

I see. I will buff it out next time. I will also check on that site TSS posted.
    Probably a good place to check. I paint for a living and don't advertise on such places, so there may be other reputable shops in and around town as well that you don't hear about. Florida should have a pretty big car cruise scene. That's a great place to meet and greet on a Fri/Sat night and ask around and actually see the cars first hand and judge for yourself. When you hear a name often enough from various people, that's a good sign.
    That's where most all of my work comes from and it keeps me busier than I want to be.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

yeah I will ask around. I just don't go out and hang out on the scene like I used to. I want to keep the paint as nice as possible since there is a possibility I might sell my car in October. I need a more roomier car and more comfortable.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Ok so I finally polished the paint again. I bought new 3M polishing pads and I used my 7" adjustable speed grinder. First coat I used meguairs cleaner wax, second coat was meguairs deep polish and last coat was Meguairs NTX wax. I spend like 4 hrs doing this taking my time. The paint looks amazing now so I guess it was over due. So far the problem area looks great but I haven't washed the car yet or drove it much. I will update in the future weeks.

No matter how hard I kept buffing and waxing the cloud stains will not come off!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information