Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

white
    1997 dodge dakota

Question What sandpaper to use??

The paint is peeling bad on my trucks roof i just wanna rough it up and paint it rustoleom gloss white whats the best grade to use???

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

40 grit

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    40 grit
    That's mean but appropos...

Gray/ White

Such a shock to hear of a Chrysler product with bad paint. Even late 90s

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Mike97dakota View Post
    The paint is peeling bad on my trucks roof i just wanna rough it up and paint it rustoleom gloss white whats the best grade to use???
    Get the muti pack of sandpaper with different grits so you can start with a lower grit then go with a higher grit to finish up before primer. You can get the exact color of your trucks paint-made by duplicolor -in cans. White is the easiest color to touch up with.

9.62/140

40 grit
    God for your azz

Blue
    2002 WS-6

Use a 400 wet / dry, use a bucket and put a little Dawn dish soap in the water . this will help lube the sand paper and clean the area your sanding

Bill

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

If you have chunks missing hit it with a DA sander with 80 grit sand paper to feather it out. If it's not then use 400 grit sandpaper like stated above. I would recomend some primer first. Then sand the primer with some 600 grit, wet. And top it off with the color.

White
    1998 Trans Am

If you have a DA use 180 or 220 the you can use SEM primer filler in white. 3 or 4 coats since it's a can not a gun. then wet sand with 600 then paint it.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Lol i just did the same thing to my 97 Ram this past weekend, the roof was peeling, start with a low grit like stated above then work your way up. I also used a primer and some rattle can white. Get the color code off your door and match it with a can of duplicolor. Mine matched perfect and it was also white..
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Bright Red
    2001 Camaro

Wink

Such a shock to hear of a Chrysler product with bad paint. Even late 90s
    Ever heard that old saying, don't throw stones in glass houses. I've had at least three GM cars/trucks w/the same issues.....

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Lots of suggestions... some good, some really bad! I would start with 220 wet and then go to 400 wet. Use a sanding block of some sort to keep things fairly flat. Paint is all in the prep work. After everything is sanded out, rinse it down with clean water and dry it.

You should then use some sort of chemical wash, either a wax and grease remover or something like denatured alcohol, and then wipe it down with a tack cloth just before shooting it. I understand you are doing a rattle can job, but prepped right it can still look good.

P.S. Nice to see you post something legitimate.

Gray/ White

Quote Originally Posted by Superwoody View Post
    Ever heard that old saying, don't throw stones in glass houses. I've had at least three GM cars/trucks w/the same issues.....
    Oh I know GM had the problems too. Just saying Chrysler's problem out lasted everyone's

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

primer fills in no less then 320
    color fills in no less then 600
    Chris

2000 Camaro SS - ported BBK throttle body, ls6 intake, granatelli MAF, yank 3,500 stall torque converter, Texas Speed Torquer 3 cam, hedmann headers and y-pipe, slp intake lid, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, gasket matched heads, dyno tuned, built trans, UMI 3-point SFC. 11.58sec

Bright Red
    2001 Camaro

Oh I know GM had the problems too. Just saying Chrysler's problem out lasted everyone's
    Probably not the longevity they are looking for.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Actually the SEM primer surfacer fills 220 fine. That cheap dupicolor crap I'm not sure about. Actally I sand with 800 before laying down silver or any heavy metallic paint, 600 can cause stripe marks where the flake will build more in some spots. Just like with white I have wetsanded my bumper with 400 and 3 coats of white and then 3 clear, quick wet sand and buff to get out any dust in the clear and looked like new again. With rattle can paint as long as you use good primer a quick block with 600 wet will give you a good finish. May wanna sand with 320 or 400 before primer if you use that duplicolor primer dice it's thin. The SEM is closer to a gun 2k primer filler. Lays down nice and heavy to give you a falt surface to wetsand with 600 or 800 b4 paint.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    Actually the SEM primer surfacer fills 220 fine. That cheap dupicolor crap I'm not sure about. Actally I sand with 800 before laying down silver or any heavy metallic paint, 600 can cause stripe marks where the flake will build more in some spots. Just like with white I have wetsanded my bumper with 400 and 3 coats of white and then 3 clear, quick wet sand and buff to get out any dust in the clear and looked like new again. With rattle can paint as long as you use good primer a quick block with 600 wet will give you a good finish. May wanna sand with 320 or 400 before primer if you use that duplicolor primer dice it's thin. The SEM is closer to a gun 2k primer filler. Lays down nice and heavy to give you a falt surface to wetsand with 600 or 800 b4 paint.
    i was just going off ppg products, which wouldn't help him if he is rattle canning it.

White
    1998 Trans Am

If you use a ppg primer surfacer it will also fill in 220 and finer scratches. I used to use PPG at my old job. I don't use it at my shop because of price. Dupont chroma base is just as good as PPG Deltron and alot less money. I saved $36 on a 1/2 pint of red paint Oma Accord I was spraying the 1/4 panel on after I pulled and bondoed it. I use Nason line 2k primer since it does the same job as the Dupont line but for less money. I use dupont chroma basecoat paint and Nason clear. Same thing as dupont but costs less. I don't like the PPG shopline clear it stays tacky longer so you end up with more dust in the clear. I also tried BASF their clear is pretty good as well as their blender but the paint match falls short on some color and I went to the shop next door and used there machine and mixed the same color in Chroma base and it match up great. I do like the PPG global bc for the fact it's a thicker paint so you can reduce the normal 1:1 and it covers up 400 or 600 great or reduce it 1:1.5 and it'll still cover 600 and 800 fine.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS #1469

If its just the clear coat peeling, Just use very fine sandpaper just to get the clear off (not the paint) And re clear coat it. Thats what I did on my cavaliers roof last summer.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Mike, how about you just

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information