Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

Question Wax for Red Car?

Well, while I'm here loitering around the Detail Forum I might as well ask. Haven't waxed the car since I bought it last July. I know, I should be flogged and hung out to dry. Just been busy at the Job and haven't really had the time. . . .(Lame Excuse I know)

What opinions do you detail guru's have for good wax for a Red car that needs waxing badly! Live in Florida, near the East Coast, so need something that will hold up good in Sun, heat, torrential downpours, and salt air.

Probably need a good cleaner wax for starters to bring the dull spots back and still give a really deep shine.

I used to use Maguires, and Mothers back in the day when I was really anal about detailing my cars.

BLACK ONYX
    2000 CAMARO SS

Thumbs up

I Tried A Lot Of Wax But My Favorite Is Liquid Luster. I Purchased It At The Chicago Auto Show And If You Want Any Its $21.00 For Two Bottles The Telephone # Is 1 866 458 7873. Good Luck!!!

1 of 396 T/A Conv 2001 Wayah-bird's Avatar

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

Meguiars fan

Good morning, Meguiar's cleaner wax should start you off OK. Just do it slow and easy the first time, preferably by hand. Then when you are hapy with that, apply Meguiars Gold. It won't last long in the FL summers so you will need to apply every 3rd month at least! I lived in FL most of my life and had a '96 Formula which always looked great using the Meguiar's products. I also showed a 1975 Bricklin, winning several awards, using the same wax. The whole key is applying regularly. If you don't wax it during a brutal FL summer, expect fading BIG TIME, especially red. FL is unique when it comes to car care. The sun is brutal as you know. Good luck with it! And yes, shame on you for waiting so long.

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Wayah-bird
    Good morning, Meguiar's cleaner wax should start you off OK. Just do it slow and easy the first time, preferably by hand. Then when you are Happy with that, apply Meguiar's Gold. It won't last long in the FL summers so you will need to apply every 3rd month at least! I lived in FL most of my life and had a '96 Formula which always looked great using the Meguiar's products. I also showed a 1975 Bricklin, winning several awards, using the same wax. The whole key is applying regularly. If you don't wax it during a brutal FL summer, expect fading BIG TIME, especially red. FL is unique when it comes to car care. The sun is brutal as you know. Good luck with it! And yes, shame on you for waiting so long.
    Yea, that's what I thought I would go back to using. Used to use both the Meguiar's cleaner wax and the Meguiar's Gold Class. Used to use Mothers on my old 78 T/A back in the day (before Clear-coat).

Yea, shame on me for waiting. But had a lot on my plate, working killer O/T last Summer and fall with Launching OV-103 Discovery (STS-114), and getting OV-104 Atlantis STS-121 ready for Sept launch. Well (STS-121) didn't happen, and other issues popped up to occupy my free time..

We are well on track now for a May launch of OV-103 Discovery (STS-121), this spring. If all goes well, were looking at OV-104 Atlantis (STS-115), late August and possibility of OV-105 Endeavour (STS-116) in October. Here's a Pic for ya.

One of the things I find funny is how often news agencies and other articles on the Shuttle program that I have read. . .people keep misspelling "Endeavour"

Ha Ha, Sorry, bit off topic, well nuf for now, thanx for the Wax opinion!

redls1bird
    lol cool, we've got a rocket scientist in our midst....

Moo cow f**k milk Demon_Speeding's Avatar

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

I've always used Liquid Glass. Used it on my '86 IROC, S-10, Metro, Stratus, Cavalier, Protege...Now I use it on the Z28 and my Impala. I was in Guam for 2 years, in case you don't know it's a tropical island. The sun is strong as hell and it rains a shit load. It always held up there. I had my S-10 and Stratus there. The Stratus was dark gray and the S-10 was black.

1 of 396 T/A Conv 2001 Wayah-bird's Avatar

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

Thumbs up OK, you're excused

Geez, now I feel bad. I guess you were a bit pre-occupied. Good luck with everything! Next picture we want to see is your newly waxed car.

i have a red 97 SS, i usually use the meguires 3 step every other month. It works well enough for a garaged car that deals with the kansas summers

drewser
    I always used Meguires prior to early this month, but had my car professionally detailed and they used Meguires to take the 'rough edges' if you'd call them that off the paintwork and then swissol wax which he said was a step up from Meguires gold.. others would argue different, but it looks liquid finish now. He guarentees it for 6 months, but said when I go back in August to have it checked, he expects that I would get another 3 to 6 months out of it. I plan to have it reapplied at 9 months.. and this is in 30 - 40 degress celcius temps (not farenheit). You'd never know the car was 4 years old, the paintwork looks better than the new Holdens. Gotta be happy with that!

Drew.

Thread Information