Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Filters

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Water Filters

I was watching an episode of Two Guys Garage the other day and they had a quick blip on one of their featured products -- a water filter system for washing cars. It appears to be a set of canisters that have replaceable filter elements designed to remove the impurities that result in spotting. It actually looks a whole heck of a lot like the "whole house water filters" you can buy at any home store. We have real hard well water and you simply cannot dry a black car fast enough on a warn day to avoid spotting. Any one ever use a system like this or build one from scratch?

Here is a link to the product featured on the TGG episode: CRSpotless.com - Wash, Rinse, and Walk Away

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I was watching an episode of Two Guys Garage the other day and they had a quick blip on one of their featured products -- a water filter system for washing cars. It appears to be a set of canisters that have replaceable filter elements designed to remove the impurities that result in spotting. It actually looks a whole heck of a lot like the "whole house water filters" you can buy at any home store. We have real hard well water and you simply cannot dry a black car fast enough on a warn day to avoid spotting. Any one ever use a system like this or build one from scratch?

Here is a link to the product featured on the TGG episode: CRSpotless.com - Wash, Rinse, and Walk Away
    Wow that is pretty cool. I would be really interested in seeing how well that works. I have really hard water where I live too and I have to wax my car every time I wash it to avoid the spots., very irritating.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Wow you guys read my mind. I saw that and looked it up online only to find out its made in my town!

I will be planning a day which I can go to wash my car and film it to show the forums how it works and if its a good investiment

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds like a plan. I am also wondering if one can be made from a household filter setup? If so, it can probably be done for far less than the $400 sale price.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Sounds like a plan. I am also wondering if one can be made from a household filter setup? If so, it can probably be done for far less than the $400 sale price.
    I am sure it can be done. I might research this, would definitely be a cool project.

red
    2000 trans am ws6

if you have an RO system in your house is all you need..
    i fill up afew gallon jugs or RO water before i wash my car and on final rinse i use the RO water in a bucket to rinse car.. works great and costs me nothing extra and i have great water in my house too!!! LOL
    eibach sportline springs,kyb shocks and struts,adj. panhard,LCAs with relocation brackets,strut tower brace, sub-frame connectors,poly motor mounts, LT headers,magnaflo catback,ORY pipe, SLP lid w/K&N, ram air mod,egr delete,PP TB,1000CFM MAF housing, LS6 intake,160 T-stat, tune by frost

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Sounds cheesy but a few years back i used one of the Mr.Clean ''Auto-dry'' hand held things that i got @ Auto Store It comes with canisters with a sandy sort of material that you have to periodically change and special soap it requires..I thought it was BS but it really did cut down on the drying time! You still need to wipe it dry although it cuts the dry time about 75%..I just got tired of buying the canisters! The harder your water is the more you`ll have to buy new canisters. Also just a side note: When rinsing a car dont use a high pressure nozzle or your finger over the hose-end...Just let the water ''cascade'' naturally out of the hose and across the body other wise splashing causes more beading and dots!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

RO system? What's that?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

RO system? What's that?
    Reverse Osmosis. Its a high quality filtering process used for purifying drinking water.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I've got an RODI system but the pressure wouldn't be adequate for the washing or rinsing of my cars. I think it might be pretty simple to modify it with hoses that have more volume to take care of that for the most part though. That may be something to look into. We have horribly hard water out here too.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

I'm interested in this myself. Would love to cut down on some water spots on those warmer days

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Reading up a bit on these, it appears that the Spotless system only has a filter life of around 300 gallons and that the replacement cartridges run $120, or just the filter media is $90. We have 7 cars that are washed on a regular basis, so things could get expensive fast. I wonder if washing the cars with tap water and then engaging the filters for the final rinse would achieve a good result?

I would think so. Your washing off the bad water that leaves the spots.

I have a few methods to avoid spots that work great. Don't wash the soap off till every panel is soaped up. Soap will not allow spots to settle. Then next once soap is off spray your favorite spray wax or detailer. Wipe it off when dry! No spots on my cars

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Ouch, a bit pricey
    I've been using a jelly blade to get the majority of the water off the car and then going over and hand drying it. Really cuts down on the drying time

Own one and love it. No joke try an electric leaf blower to clean it better and all the cracks

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Ouch, a bit pricey
    I've been using a jelly blade to get the majority of the water off the car and then going over and hand drying it. Really cuts down on the drying time
    I have never owned a jelly blade. I use an Absorber which seems to work best on hot days.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

I've been wanting to try one of those. For now I use the jelly blade, then an air compressor for the tight areas, then go over with a microfiber cloth to finish off. This water filtration system has me interested but at that price like you said, it can get expensive fast

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Next trip to Lowe's I'll be looking into their filter setups to see if that may be a better option.

red
    2000 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I've got an RODI system but the pressure wouldn't be adequate for the washing or rinsing of my cars. I think it might be pretty simple to modify it with hoses that have more volume to take care of that for the most part though. That may be something to look into. We have horribly hard water out here too.
    yes, that's why i put it in buckets then use it for final rinse by basically pooring it over whole car

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by nathanWS6 View Post
    yes, that's why i put it in buckets then use it for final rinse by basically pooring it over whole car
    You know, I have two 44 gallon brute cans that I use to mix saltwater in and I have plenty of pumps... I probably should have thought of that on my own

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information