Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washing or not

Red
    2002 Z28 35 Anniversary

Washing or not

I read some where that some guys never use water on their cars to keep them clean. I understand the idea of using spray detailer and micro fiber, but I am sure there are some subtle tips that make it work with out messing up the paint. Is it Common not to use water and just what technique is used??

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

Also search You Tube for Optimum No Rinse

FWIW- my car is a garage queen and might go out 12 times a year max, so most of the time a light dust off of the bugs and that is, if its really dusty, I might go to the spray car wash and just rinse it off, dry down and back to the garage. But as far as a full fledged car wash with a hose and bucket, it just doesn't ever get that dirty anymore since I hardly drive it. Daily drivers I can see.
    Last edited by 99'CajunFirehawk157; 07-11-2009 at 11:41 AM.
    Regards,
    Todd

#cajunhotrodder on instagram

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

^Same for me
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    ^Same for me
    Admit it... your car is kept in a plastic bubble and the pics are all photoshopped backgrounds. It is way too clean to be driven -- does my jealousy show?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Admit it... your car is kept in a plastic bubble and the pics are all photoshopped backgrounds. It is way too clean to be driven -- does my jealousy show?

I actually drove it to work yesterday

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post

I actually drove it to work yesterday
    I would love to be able to drive mine to work to park next to those "vett guys" but since I have Haggerty (!cheap!) they frown on that and my luck would be....well ya know.

Medium Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A-7.0L-6spd

mine's a daily driver. i work at a body shop in the paint dept. i wash it 1-3 times a week with water and soap. nothing wrong with it, its not goin to ruin the paint unless the water has a high mineral deposit. like well water and some other souces

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Here are a few tips on how to wash and dry your car in order to reduce swirls-

1) Implement the two bucket system- one bucket has car wash and the other is clean water. After washing a body panel always rinse the wash mitt in the clean bucket of water before dipping the mitt back into the car wash soap bucket. This prevents dirt/grit from marring the paint. You will be amazed at how dirty the clean bucket of water gets during a wash.

2) Pre soak the entire vehicle with a foam gun and rinse. This removes heavier dirt/grit before it can be scrubbed into the paint.

A foam gun can also be used while washing and prevents swirls by always having a layer of suds on the surface.

3) Use a quality car wash that has essential oils and lubricants that greatly reduce swirls. These types of car washes prevent grit from marring the paint.

4) Use a grit gaurd- it is a grate that fits in the bottom of your bucket-both wash and rinse- that helps prevent reintroducing grit back onto the surface of your car. Grit will settle under this grate. Many people rub their mitt against the grit gaurd to clean the mittt of any debris.

5) Use a quality microfiber wash mitt,sea sponge or boars hair brush when washing your vehicle. The microfiber mitt and sponge have pores so grit will not always be on the surface which reduces swirls.

6) When drying use a quality waffle weave microfiber cloth. The speacial weave keeps grit away from the surface while drying.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Mine is a DD. I use a wash mitt and I start off from the top of the car and work my way down the sides, front, and back. After I wash a panel, I hose off the wash mitt and relather for another panel. I rinse the car off twice before I lather, and twice after.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

All very good pointers. Follow these and you will be golden.

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    Here are a few tips on how to wash and dry your car in order to reduce swirls-

1) Implement the two bucket system- one bucket has car wash and the other is clean water. After washing a body panel always rinse the wash mitt in the clean bucket of water before dipping the mitt back into the car wash soap bucket. This prevents dirt/grit from marring the paint. You will be amazed at how dirty the clean bucket of water gets during a wash.

2) Pre soak the entire vehicle with a foam gun and rinse. This removes heavier dirt/grit before it can be scrubbed into the paint.

A foam gun can also be used while washing and prevents swirls by always having a layer of suds on the surface.

3) Use a quality car wash that has essential oils and lubricants that greatly reduce swirls. These types of car washes prevent grit from marring the paint.

4) Use a grit gaurd- it is a grate that fits in the bottom of your bucket-both wash and rinse- that helps prevent reintroducing grit back onto the surface of your car. Grit will settle under this grate. Many people rub their mitt against the grit gaurd to clean the mittt of any debris.

5) Use a quality microfiber wash mitt,sea sponge or boars hair brush when washing your vehicle. The microfiber mitt and sponge have pores so grit will not always be on the surface which reduces swirls.

6) When drying use a quality waffle weave microfiber cloth. The speacial weave keeps grit away from the surface while drying.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by coolz28 View Post
    I read some where that some guys never use water on their cars to keep them clean. I understand the idea of using spray detailer and micro fiber, but I am sure there are some subtle tips that make it work with out messing up the paint. Is it Common not to use water and just what technique is used??
    You can use the ONR mixed with water.
    You can either spray and wipe, or use a compressed air sprayer for continuos spray. The way you do it with this pump is that you fill it up with ONR and water, and drench the car from top to bottom of the section you're cleaning. This way the mixture will encapsulate the dirt/dust and rinse it off your car. You can then wipe dry

This is the type of pump I'm talking about, or anything similar to it will work as well...
    Compressed Air Pump

PS: I'm still old-fashion when it comes down to washing cars like LethalxLS1 suggested...
    Last edited by Z06-Goose; 07-11-2009 at 06:43 PM.

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

and behind door #3.....DO NOT use a wash mitt.

There are better things to use. #1 choice is a grout sponge, found at Home Depot or similar. they have large pores. And then take a razor blade and cut it crossways (crisscrossing pattern). this allows the sponge to roll around edges/get into spots with much greater ease...and allows for even better trapping of dirt particles and keeping them off your paint....oh and cheap too!

Just some knowledge i picked up from one of the best car detailers on the planet.
    Last edited by bryceslu; 07-12-2009 at 06:36 PM.

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

DD just hit 86,XXX and she gets a bath atleast every sat but usually she'll get 2 or 3 a week my gf thinks I have OCD or something but I just love to keep my stuff looking good! Or try to keep up with the Pewter God Y2K! But im broke and all I got is a cat back but come get your fill on shes smooth as glass...... Im playing dont touch my shit!

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

hmmm

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I use a sheepskin mitt and a bucket.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I use a sheepskin mitt and a bucket.
    yeah..but your car looks horrible so your practices dont count

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    Thanks for that laugh!!! Really needed it on this Monday.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

I only wash mine when i have to , other then that i wipe it down with this (daily)

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by doberman 152 View Post
    I only wash mine when i have to , other then that i wipe it down with this (daily)
    Click for full size
    I use that at shows to get rid of the water spots left behind after washes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information