silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

Washing an engine

With an LS1 engine there's a lot of wires and stuff take should not get wet, so what this the correct way of washing an LS1 engine? (a video would be nice).

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I should have video'd myself as I just did this. Should be good for a year now . Just avoid the battery, and the intake manifold. Everything else can be sprayed wet. On a cold block, in my garage, I used an APC ( all purpose cleaner ) not a engine block degreaser as painted and plastics may suffer. Agitate surfaces with a soft bristle brush and rinse it in a bucket of clear water. Then rinse the under-hood and the places you cleaned. I blow dryed the engine bay with my stihl leaf blower, focused real good on the intake manifold as water puddles formed around the injectors, let it sit the rest of the day hood up in the garage. After dinner I went out and hit it all up with a trim dressing to get the plastics looking slick and new.

Next day car started up no issues or aromas at all.
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, QTP Longtube headers ORY, LS6 intake, EGR/A.I.R delete.
    Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays
    YouTube.com/DarrenWS6

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

Thanks!
    2002 Firebird Formula - 5.7 Liter - "Last of the Breed"

BLACK
    1998 WS6, ASC BUILD #206

Cool

I just cleaned my engine bay last week for the first time in years.

First I need to say I have no leaks of any kind so I didn't have that issue to deal with.
    Just years of normal road and rain build up.

I did start with a light cleaning using a pressure washer. I seriously didn't like the idea but kept it
    back enough to not mess things up. Then I took a bucket with soapy water and bit the bullet.
    Hand washed everything I could get to. Don't ask how many cuts and scrapes I have on both hands and arms. (grin)
    I would spray away soap and soil every few minutes. Once it all looked clean I used my air compressor to get all the water I could manage out, off OR away from everything. It worked well. No issues with cranking at all.

This took me ALL DAY to do. Well, almost. Started about 10 am until dark thirty.

The next day I used back to black on all hoses, wires, plastic etc I could get to and spray waxed all else under the hood. That took almost another day. I would hate to do this for a living. However, all the time and labor was / is well worth it.
    It looks great.
    Good luck with yours.

Just had my engine washed in a local car wash. I just noticed that the guy who did the cleaning applied an oil that smelled like kerosene on the surface of the engine.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

he trying to burn it down?

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

My engine bay gets diluted Spray Nine, or the sort, and the rinses withal a spray bottle of water.

The engine gets brake cleaner in really dirty, or hard to reach spots.

No more hoses/pressure cleanings after I drowned out my knock sensors just before Carlisle 2017.
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    L76 6.0L block, PRC Ported 243 heads, Texas Speed 224R cam.
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Sway Bar
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    UMI Welded-on Two Piece Subframe Connectors
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact Sports all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    415 rwhp

Haven't tried washing my car's engine. I'm too afraid that something that will go wrong.

My brother in law used kerosene to clean the engine. It scared me as hell. Lol.

I use CG Orange Degreaser diluted at 5:1 ratio.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I wash the engine bays in all of our cars. Quick spray down with Simple Green and then a careful wash with a soaped up mitt or soft bristle brush followed by a low pressure rinse. I then towel dry and use the air compressor to blow dry everything, catching the spray with the towel. Once hand dry I then immediately start the engine and allow things to come up to temp and evaporate out the remaining water. Been doing it this way forever and have had zero issues.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

I washed my engine bay once, ended up having to replace the knock sensors and wiring harness form them.

I know clean my engine bay, using a spray bottle to do the wetting/rinsing now.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I wash the engine bays in all of our cars. Quick spray down with Simple Green and then a careful wash with a soaped up mitt or soft bristle brush followed by a low pressure rinse. I then towel dry and use the air compressor to blow dry everything, catching the spray with the towel. Once hand dry I then immediately start the engine and allow things to come up to temp and evaporate out the remaining water. Been doing it this way forever and have had zero issues.
    Air blow and running the engine really make sure there's no water left around the engine bay.

Quote Originally Posted by cebrable View Post
    Haven't tried washing my car's engine. I'm too afraid that something that will go wrong.

I feel the same way. I don't trust myself when it comes to cleaning the engine. Lol.

Red
    2003 GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by slumbrie View Post
    I feel the same way. I don't trust myself when it comes to cleaning the engine. Lol.
    Same, I feel like I will mess up something if I do it.

Just want to add to this thread.

There are 2 ways of cleaning your engine. Engine wash - First one is the low pressure wash, basically you have to cover the important electrical parts with plastic to protect it from water. Usually, it is the alternator, computer box, ignition coil and distributor (for old cars). You need an engine degreaser (diluted 60/40), a detailing brush or just tooth brush, and microfiber/terry towel. Just spray degreaser and agitate the parts, you can start from the outer part and one section at a time. The rinse with power wash or just with your hose will do. You don't have to do this if you are not confident. This is a faster way but risky.

The second is Engine Detail, not to use the power wash, you just need to have a blower, degreaser, microfiber/terry towel, detailing/toothbrush and a water bucket to rinse towel every now and then. Use the blower to remove dust, spray degreaser and start one section at a time. wipe with damp towel and blow dry. Just continue the same process until you complete it. This is safer way and outcome is decent for a DIYer.

You can apply plastic/rubber conditioner/protector and you can apply wax for protection in the areas where paint is visible. And don't forget to clean the under bonnet as well.

Duration: Max 4 hours.

*Just use damp microfiber towels for maintenance.

Hope this helps.

Thread Information