Thread: Undercoating

Black
    99 Trans Am WS6

Undercoating

My car is pretty clean underneath but the other day I noticed a small area of surface rust starting on the floor board. I'd like two sand it down and undercoat the whole car before it spreads since the car is not coated at all. For me and any others who live up in New England knows how fast car cancer spreads. The roads and air aren't the best for cars. So with that being said I was thinking of getting 3d rubber undercoat. What do you guys think would be the best?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I think you should do the floors and trunk panel with POR15. It works great and you never have to worry about rust again. Check with Eastwood.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black
    99 Trans Am WS6

Alright thanks I'll look into it

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

+1 for using POR-15. I use it on all our restorations and it holds up very well. "POR" stands for "Paint Over Rust" and you can simply wirebrush and degrease any rusty spots before applying it. Unfortunately, it does not adhere well to clean bare metal or painted surfaces. Clean metal can be chemically etched or roughed up, but unless you strip off the paint and do this it will not adhere to the rest of your underbody. Therefore, you may wish to use POR-15 for spot repairs and then topcoat these areas with something else that will work on the painted underbody. I have also used the 3M product you posted and it does work and hold up well. I generally apply it to rear wheel wells after stripping off all the old coating.

Thread Information