Pewter
    99 Firehawk convertable

Under hood mirrors

I need some help, I bought some mirrors for the under side of my hood, the mirrors have a paper backing on them to protect the adhesive material. Once you peel the paper off, your suppose to press them in place and they stick to the hood. The problem is after the engine has ran for 30 to 45 min they fall off. I've tried the 3m double sided tape on top of the factory adhesive, but again after about 45min the tape gets soft from the heat, and they start to come off again. I have ran out of Ideas you can not use a glue because it will eat thru the adhesive and damage the mirror material. Has anyone had this problem? Any Ideas would be appreciated. Thanks for taking time to read this post.

Silver
    2002 Z28

I do believe I have a fairly decent solution: Go get yourself some industrial Velcro. I've seen a few people do it at shows, that way you just wrap the mirrors in tissue paper and throw them in a bag in the hatch, then when you're showing the car, it'll only take a minute to stick 'em on there. That way there's a heck of a lot less fading, and if they're the typical plexi mirrors, if they're always on there the heat from the engine will eventually warp them. Good luck!
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

NBM
    2000 WS6

You then run the risk of the Velcro's backing not sticking. Might have the same problem..........

Make sure the underside of your hood is wiped down good with a solvent based cleaner before you try to stick anything to it.

Pewter
    99 Firehawk convertable

Thumbs up Mirrors

Thanks for the replies. I called the 3m company and got the answer I was looking for, they recommended using their high temp spray on adhesive,they said it will withstand up to 400 degrees and is also water proof,and will not damage the hood or mirrors over a long period of time.If anyone is interested it is called 3m super trim adhesive part #08090. SO far so good I drove the hawk for about 3hrs today

Black
    2001 Pontiac

Hmmm, ..., interesting, ...
    (Hello Rare99.)

Bright Silver Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

My mirrors have been on my car for 3 years with velcro and they have never fallen off.

Collector Yellow (54U)
    2002 Trans Am CE

I have had acrylic mirrors on my car attached with 3M automotive grade mounting tape for over 4 years now with no problems. They still look as new as the day I got them.

I think the key is prepping the surface properly for adhesion. All I did was wipe down the area the mirrors were going to be applied with some rubbing alcohol.
    Last edited by BANDITCAR; 04-15-2007 at 05:01 PM.
    2002 Trans Am Collector Edition WS6 ASC# 619
    Coupe | Collector Yellow on Ebony Leather | A4 | TCS | #126 of 510 T-Top w/A4 made
    CETA 619 "The Falcon"

Collector Edition Owner Site: www.collectorfbody.com

Pewter
    99 Firehawk convertable

Hood mirrors

Well I haven't reinstalled the mirrors yet, I'm waiting for the place I bought them from to replace 4 of the smaller mirrors due to being defective. But as soon as they arrive I will reinstall them, with the 3m adhesive and hope they stay secure. Did yours have a sticky backing on them under the paper? I prepped the hood with alcohol good peeled the paper backing off & used the red double sided tape on top of the mirror adhesive installed them and after about 45 min of driving several came loose and the tape & the adhesive were like gum just hanging. I assumed it was due to the heat in the engine compartment.

Collector Yellow (54U)
    2002 Trans Am CE

Mine didn't have a fully adhesive back. Just the 3M mounting tape with the red colored peel away backing. Three 2-inch pieces on each mirror and they have been holding just fine. Heat has never been an issue.

Pewter
    99 Firehawk convertable

Hood mirrors

This is starting to piss................ me off! The only other thing I can think of would be that the adhesive backing on these mirrors was old, one thing for sure is I'm glad to see no one else is having this problem. I've had nothing but problems not to mention 4 of the mirrors were defective and I'm waiting for the person to ship me 4 new ones. I'm beginning to think their was a problem with the whole set.

Thread Information