Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    02 Z06

Theres snow on my car. I'm putting it in storage tomorrow. question.

Ok. I know . I know. I let it snow on my car. I've just been really busy lately and I'm finally able to put it instorage tomorrow afternoon. I was wondering what I should do before I put it into storage? Take it and get it washed so the undercarage gets all the salt off before I put it away or just put it in there as is? I really want advice. I'm super pissed i have to drive it around. But the roads are pretty dry.

Thanks.

Black
    97 Firebird

Things to do before storage:
    - make sure your car is really clean before storage (like you said get rid of salt ect..)
    - change your oil
    - put a full tank of gas in it and add fuel stabilizer. This will stop your gas tank from getting any rust in it, and the stabilizer will stop your gas from going bad over the winter.
    - remove your battery, and do not store it on cement, put it on wood until spring when you need to put it back in your car.
    Hope that helps!
    Last edited by dreaded_hope; 12-08-2005 at 03:16 AM.
    1997 Firebird 3.8L
    A4,WS6 Ram Air Hood, Edelbrock Catback, SLP CAI, 85 Dry Shot
    1981 Firebird Trans Am
    http://members.cardomain.com/dreaded_hope

Black
    02 Z06

I was planning on starting it up every once and awhile. like once every two or three weeks. So it'll still be fine without removing the battery and what not right?

So things I need to do.

I appreiate the help. So I'll defintely take it to a car wash now.

Member Since Aug 2000 LS1 Eddie's Avatar
    I do everything that is mentioned except remove my battery. I go and start it up about once a month and it's always fine. You should be able to do the same.
    1995 Camaro Z-28
    Black/Neutral|A4 GU5
    Modifications:
    Borla, MAC Mid's, SLP Level 1 Suspension with Prokit, SLP STB, SLP CAI, 1LE Elbow,Phillips HID, Advanced Induction 180cc Heads/224 Cam,Built 355, Yank 3200

Black
    02 Z06

I should still put fuel stabilzer in it?

quicky06
    yes put it in your tank then fill it up and drive around a lil or just let it run(if the snows to bad its nasty here) this way you will get it in your engine and injectore and prevent them from gumming up

Black
    02 Z06

Whats a good brand to go with? I really appareiate all the help guys.

quicky06
    i prefer stablil, its been around and it works in everything else i have.( i drive my baby year around nothin else is for the streets) you can get it at any hardware store. go to ACE cuz thats where i work lol

Yea I do all that & start mine up once a month & let it run & warm up a bit.
    2008 Lincoln MKZ - AWD
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT - Wifes car
    2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP - Sold
    2004 Pontiac GTO M6 - Sold

Black
    02 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by quicky06
    i prefer stablil, its been around and it works in everything else i have.( i drive my baby year around nothin else is for the streets) you can get it at any hardware store. go to ACE cuz thats where i work lol
    Yeah I'll tell them you set me. just floatin' a little comission your way man

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

wish i saw this about a month ago...

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

hey, here's the reverse question:

what do you do when you're gonna take it back out in the spring?

Black
    02 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    hey, here's the reverse question:

what do you do when you're gonna take it back out in the spring?
    Drive it? haha .

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Check the tire pressures & fluids in the spring. When you first run it, let it warm up until it reaches full operating temps. before you drive it to make sure all the fluids are circulating properly. Back the car up to see if there are any fluid stains on the garage floor. On the first drive listen carefully for any new or unusual noises, and don't jump on the throttle right off the bat. As for winter storage, don't take out the battery if you want to drive on some of those rare winter days when the roads are clear and dry. Go to Wal-mart and buy a Black & Decker battery maintenance charger. It has up to 1 amp output, only charges the battery just enough to keep it fully charged, and you have a number of ways to connect it to the car. It's only about $20. Spring is a long time to wait for an F-body fix.

slo98ss
    yah, my battery is out, gas is in the tank with stabil, and the insurance is coming off for the winter, im just puting storage insurance on it. should save me some $$

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I don't mean to sound stupid, but what's bad about getting snow on the car? Is the main point the salt that is on the road? Does the salt really eat stuff that bad?

and finally, I wax my car usually like 3 times in november usually and once in December if I can. Is this enough protection for my paint?

Black
    99 SS

the salt will eat away at the rims on the car man, so keep them with polish on them or something like that.

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar
    im guessin there are people who drive their cars in the winter. any tips on cleaning the undercarraige or what to look for under there after winter. im going to buy an fbody and sell my truck but im goin to keep it till spring so i dotn have to drive my fbody. so hopefully ill have a winter beater for next winter. mustang probably

for cleaning the undercarriage get mr clean auto dry or rain X, something you can shoot soaopy water underneath the car att. Salt will start to tear up things immediatly, if you have to drive in the salt a lot check for rust on the exhaust consistanlty or welds from subframe connectors ect...

As for storing the car, why would you want a full tank of gas? most places including your insurance wont let you store or protect the vehicle if its stored with gas. It must be drained and what's left in there should have stabil added. in 99 the tanks were switched to plastic, which last time i checked, didnt rust

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    for cleaning the undercarriage get mr clean auto dry or rain X, something you can shoot soaopy water underneath the car att. Salt will start to tear up things immediatly, if you have to drive in the salt a lot check for rust on the exhaust consistanlty or welds from subframe connectors ect...

As for storing the car, why would you want a full tank of gas? most places including your insurance wont let you store or protect the vehicle if its stored with gas. It must be drained and what's left in there should have stabil added. in 99 the tanks were switched to plastic, which last time i checked, didnt rust
    Prevents moisture in the air from condensing into the gas. It's not a real big problem if the car's garaged. Engines don't like water, though. BTW, "drygas" doesn't actually REMOVE the water from your fuel. It's known as a co-solvent, which lets small amounts of water mix into/dissolve in the gas which can then safely burn off as you drive. Also, water in the fuel contributes to sludge and acid formation in your engine when it mixes with sulfur residues in the gas. A self-service car wash with a spray-it-yourself wand is a good way to wash out road crap and especially salt from the wheelwells and undercarriage if you have a car wash like that near you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information