Thread: sunburn

blackk
    1996 camaro z28

sunburn

so i purchased my car after it was sitting in a lot for about 5 year. No cover no anything. the result was a complete sunburn. the nose has peeling clear coat only but the top has light and darker white spots and some clear coat peeling.. besides that the body is in good condition. is there anything i can do to it besides going to get a new paint job?

another question, is washing, clay baring, and then waxing a good process to go with? i just want a simple process that doesnt require major tools. thanks

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

your Z sat on the lot that long? wow

blackk
    1996 camaro z28

yeah thats why it only had 86k when i picked it up, sure enough it was moved around the lot and little test drives here and there kept it from getting any internal damage from not driving it..

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Wow. Wonder why it sat there for 5 years?

blackk
    1996 camaro z28

the lot was in a town called el cerrito near oakland, ca. its basically a small town near to a huge hill thats in the middle of flat ground. guess no one looked there. AND living in CA no one wants a car that sucks gas and hauls ass. that and traffic is horrible so stick isnt worth it for some CA folks

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Try some polishes. It would be a great time to practice when your paint isn't in good condition, almost have nothing to lose. Goose would know which products to try.

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

if your clearcoat is peeling your pretty much done for. as far as treatment the best way to go is washing,claybar,good polishing, then waxing. but i dont think it is gonna do anything for you if your clear coat is shot.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Unfortunately, once this "oxidation" process has started, there's no way to reverse it or to stop it.
    You may try polishing it out to improve its cosmetic looks, but you have to understand that in some areas the clear is gone and the other whitey spots you're seeing, are also beyond repair. Not even wetsanding would fix it.

That's just the cruel reality.

The good news is you can repaint the bumper nose, and the top where the other damage's started to occur.

Look around and seek the opinion of several body-shops. They can give you a better idea what options you've got.

At the same time, the body-shop can give your whole car a complete cut and buff job to match everything else...
    Last edited by Z06-Goose; 05-02-2010 at 04:34 PM.

Thread Information