Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quoted $350??

black
    2000 camaro ss

quoted $350??

okay there is a car show coming into town this saturday.. i need to get my camaro cleaned up for it.. i got a number from a guy that works on my car.. he said the guy says he is the king of detailing black cars, well he was going on and on about what he does to the car.. the final price came between 300-350.. and thats just the outside... he said other people yea it will look good but after you wash it once it looks the same.. he said he actually takkes a small amouth of the paint off.. anyway.. does this price sound reasonable?

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

depending on how bad your car is and how much needs to be done and if there's gonna be any paint correction/etc. done, that's not too much. I know some guys who do some awesome work and they just start off at about $150 and go up from there and usually end up pretty high; but with a super grin on the owners face

Awaiting Activation superman4evr's Avatar

Red Jewell Tintcoat
    2008 Grand Prix GXP

Black is and always will be a pain in the ass to detail. But once it's done, it's the most gorgeous color on a car. I'd say thats steep on the price. But I'll bet the guy is prepping the car, taping stuff off and probably putting in about 7 to 9 hours of time on it. I've got a good idea what he would be using. I'm sure your shine would last a long long time too.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

350 I think is to much..
    I have a blk car too. I took it to 3 diferent places and the highest price I found was 250
    Inside. And out side puls the engine bay.
    Or 150 just for the out side
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

That's a little bit on the high side.
    I'd expect that kind of prices in states like, NY, California, Florida, etc...
    I'm suroprise that he can charge that in KY.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I paid $200 to have the 98 detailed but that was inside and out for $165. The extra $35 was for polishing up the headlight covers which were hazed so bad the lights barely lit up the road. They (and the car) look good now...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

black
    1998 trans am

all depends on what he does to it. some shops take a reading to see how thick the paint is with some type of tool, they then do a strip and remove all/most of the imperfections.

there is a video of someone on youtube doing some high end cars like Lambos and others for over $1800 ea.

so $350 is high for a detail yes, but $350 might not be to high for a resto to the showroom shine.

also I am in no way saying go for as I have no idea as to who the detailer is just putting out some thoughts of mine.

Thanks,
    Mark

KYSpeed.com | FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING | PRICE MATCH | EMAIL

Kook's | American Racing Headers | Vararam | HallTech | Textralia | SPEC | McLeod | Raptor | Trick Flow | AFR | ECS
    | FAST | APS | TTi | Procharger | RPM Transmission | Comp | DMH | HP Tuners | PFADT | SLP | STS

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Well then if you don't want to pay $350, buy everything you will need and do it yourself. You will have more than $350 invested when it is all said and done. But you will have a ll the equipment and products for next time.
    I do detail work and $350 sounds a tad high, but, if you want the best you pay for it. If I was paying that money it better be perfect when it is finished.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

@ $350

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

$350? Detail it yourself.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I charge $350 if the car needs to be completely wet sanded with 2000 then buffed and I use a servant instead of wax and I will vacuum and do the interior as well as degreeese the motor for $400.
    Just to compound,polish, and seal the outside I charge $150 to $200 so that price is a little high unless it needs to be wet sanded 1st because of deeper scratches or oxidation

Black

Shit I got offered 500 to do mine

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrider02 View Post
    Shit I got offered 500 to do mine
    WOW all of these prices i've seen on here are cheap for a detail, by me it's like 1k min and can get up as high as 2k well unless they are just washing and waxing but a real detail on the outside is definately a min of 1k but then again I live near DC so prices are outrageous on that crap.

Professional Detailer GoFast908Z's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

Too all those saying its too high, how do you know? There is no mention of what is being done and that makes a HUGE difference. To those quoting other numbers, you aren't listing what all is included, so you can't really compare anything.

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    350 I think is to much..
    I have a blk car too. I took it to 3 diferent places and the highest price I found was 250
    Inside. And out side puls the engine bay.
    Or 150 just for the out side
    Its not high if you want paint correction done. It is high if there is no correction being done.

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    That's a little bit on the high side.
    I'd expect that kind of prices in states like, NY, California, Florida, etc...
    I'm suroprise that he can charge that in KY.
    Yeah for the area it may be high, but thats pretty typical in CA (at least if they aren't hacks).

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I paid $200 to have the 98 detailed but that was inside and out for $165. The extra $35 was for polishing up the headlight covers which were hazed so bad the lights barely lit up the road. They (and the car) look good now...
    Again, probably not paint correction I'm guessing, thus the big difference in price.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Chops View Post
    Well then if you don't want to pay $350, buy everything you will need and do it yourself. You will have more than $350 invested when it is all said and done. But you will have a ll the equipment and products for next time.
    I do detail work and $350 sounds a tad high, but, if you want the best you pay for it. If I was paying that money it better be perfect when it is finished.
    You can do it yourself, but remember you are also paying for their experience. You'd be going into it blind. Not saying you can't....just that a pro will do it much better. And $350 won't get anywhere near perfect lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    I charge $350 if the car needs to be completely wet sanded with 2000 then buffed and I use a servant instead of wax and I will vacuum and do the interior as well as degreeese the motor for $400.
    Just to compound,polish, and seal the outside I charge $150 to $200 so that price is a little high unless it needs to be wet sanded 1st because of deeper scratches or oxidation
    I'm assuming you work/run a body shop? A body shop doing a wetsand and buff is very different from a detailer doing it. Body shops don't finish down to the same quality that is demanded of detailers. Some do, but they are very rare. If someone told me that tiny amount to wetsand my car I'd run for the hills, wayyyy too low. Every car I've seen that's had that done has had numerous patches of sanding missed, compound in every crevice, and burned edges throughout. The time it takes to make sure these things don't happen immediately put it out of that price range.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

dont mean to sound ...ignorant... but what do they do when they do "paint correction"

Silver
    02 Pontiac

shit for $350 I'll do it for ya that's freakin' way to expensive!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Maro SS View Post
    dont mean to sound ...ignorant... but what do they do when they do "paint correction"
    Paint correction is the correct term for removing swirls and light scratches. It is often confused with buffing which can mean the same thing but is equally used to describe removing a wax by hand, which is nowhere near the same thing. Detailing terminology among the average joe is very misused. Let me grab a pic to show you...

Quote Originally Posted by 02silverbird View Post
    shit for $350 I'll do it for ya that's freakin' way to expensive!
    Well not everyone wants to pay for quality work...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

Left side uncorrected. Right side corrected. Doing this takes time and this is where detailing reaches its potential to make your car look amazing, not just 'good'. So when you spend the kind of money the OP was asking about, you start to get results like this.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by GoFast908Z View Post
    Left side uncorrected. Right side corrected. Doing this takes time and this is where detailing reaches its potential to make your car look amazing, not just 'good'. So when you spend the kind of money the OP was asking about, you start to get results like this.

Click for full size
    holy moly. lol so what kinda questions would one ask to make sure they are getting those type of results?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Maro SS View Post
    holy moly. lol so what kinda questions would one ask to make sure they are getting those type of results?
    Are they polishing the car, with what kind of buffer (cheap Sears POS, Random Orbital DA like the Porter Cable, or a rotary), what products they consider polishes (cleaner waxes don't qualify here), how long does it take to do one pass (go over the car one time with the buffer)...heres a hint if it takes less than an hour thats too fast. 2-3 hours per pass is about right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information