Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Need tips on brake dust removal

I am so sick of cleaning the brake dust off my wheels. Especially deep inside the wheel. I have the 10 spoke SS wheels. Whats a good spray that wont harm the wheels ? or how do some of u guys clean your wheels ?

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by rrgray8 View Post
    I am so sick of cleaning the brake dust off my wheels. Especially deep inside the wheel. I have the 10 spoke SS wheels. Whats a good spray that wont harm the wheels ? or how do some of u guys clean your wheels ?
    For OTC products, you can't go wrong with Meguiars and Mothers. There are a few wheel cleaners that are safe that can be picked up locally. I would recommend switching to ceramic brake pads. My Z06 front brakes dust like crazy, and it's driving me nuts. I bought a set of ceramic brake pads that I haven't had a chance to install yet due to the weather. Ceramic brake pads will give you some relieve from dust
    ACDelco Dura Stop Ceramic Brake Pads is what I've got.

NBM
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    For OTC products, you can't go wrong with Meguiars and Mothers. There are a few wheel cleaners that are safe that can be picked up locally. I would recommend switching to ceramic brake pads. My Z06 front brakes dust like crazy, and it's driving me nuts. I bought a set of ceramic brake pads that I haven't had a chance to install yet due to the weather. Ceramic brake pads will give you some relieve from dust
    This guy offers good advice.........
    2000 NBM WS6

/oo_________oo\
    |==_/_ws6_\_==|

><(((º>´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Good advice, but I prefer Eagle 1 All Wheel and Tire Cleaner personally. It works great, sprays as a foam, and just letting it set on the wheels will remove the majority of the dust. Its safe for all wheels, painted, aluminum, chrome, whatever.

As for the brake pads, its highly reccommended that you change the rotors if you're going to switch to ceramic pads. If you use the same rotors, it is likely that they will squeak and possibly not wear evenly, so its worth it to buy new rotors. Perfect opportunity to buy some aftermarket high performance rotors to go with your new ceramic pads

mothers does the job but meguirs tops it

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

2 probs with ceramic brake pads.....
    1. Dont slow u down as fast
    2. They tend to squeak especially if u accidentally get on em on accident
    (lol like it did) during warm up period

I accidentally got on mine once on the way back from gettin em put on cuz some dumb ass pulled out into the HWY right in front of me. Ever since then they squeaked to high heave all the time.....drove me crazy

TSP Rumbler, LT's, TSP Tqr2, PRC 921 Springs, Comp Lifters, Chromoly 7.4" Pushrods, Titanium Retainers/Seats/Seals, ARP head bolts, BMR full Rear suspension

"I could break a bowling ball with a plastic hammer in a sandbox"

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

You probably glazed the pads from the sudden stop before they were broken in! Supposedly, once the brakes are warmed up several moderately hard stops from 60 - 70 MPH should remove the glaze from the pads. If not, you're going to need new pads. Did you put the anti-squeak compound on the back of the pads before you installed them? Several companies make the stuff, you can get it from Pep Boys, Auto Zone etc. but normally you put on before you install the pads.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

also wax your wheels after you get them clean. it will make getting the dust off easier.

silver
    2002 Mustang GT

keep up on cleaning the wheels helps also, if you let the break dust build up it gets harder to clean.

Hot Wheels from Mequiars. They make it for polished and chrome.

We use Flitz around our shop and it does a great job for keeping wheels clean and also is a sealer. You can mix there polish and liquid wax and buff with that for a great sealer.

Also there are products like Zoop Seal, but it is time consuming to apply.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Frankthetank View Post
    2 probs with ceramic brake pads.....
    1. Dont slow u down as fast
    2. They tend to squeak especially if u accidentally get on em on accident
    (lol like it did) during warm up period

I accidentally got on mine once on the way back from gettin em put on cuz some dumb ass pulled out into the HWY right in front of me. Ever since then they squeaked to high heave all the time.....drove me crazy
    I do believe ceramic pads stop better than semi-metallic. Hence they cost more.

dust removal

Hey man best advice i can give,Try and find a local detail shop they get this special typ acid shit in 55 gal drums that they delute with water i forget the name of it but this shit works so quick by the time you came back to the first tire, just hose off,no getting on youre neas scrubing, he said the stuffs pretty strong and he woudnt recomend on bare, non cleared rims like FISKYS or etc.

Thread Information