Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Minor scratches, Turtle polishing compound ok?

I got some scratches on the top of the car where the black paint is. Looks like someone set something up there and drug it down the side.

The scratches can't be felt and don't look too deep, but very noticeable. Should I use some of this turtle polishing compound I got? Should I do it by hand or wait till i visit my dad and use his electric buffer?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I have used with great success a swirl/scratch remover like NuFinish Scratch Remover...top it off with a polish then wax.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I have used with great success a swirl/scratch remover like NuFinish Scratch Remover...top it off with a polish then wax.
    I've seen that stuff...orange bottle right?

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Is there a trick to that stuff? Ive used it before, followed the directions on the bottle and it didn't do shit. Also tried Meguiars Scratch-X with the same result.

I don't have a polisher, so I have to do everything the hard way

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Best thing is do it with a buffer, by hand will be tough, the clearcoat on the fbodies is tough as nails
    Contact Chris (forum vendor) he can recommend a good polish to get rid of the swirls
    A good product that you can get locally is the 3M 39002 Rubbing Compound (Napa carries it). You can get good results by machine

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

I've used Meguiars Scratch-X on several occasions & IMHO it does a wonderful job. I haven't used a buffer, applied it & buffed all by hand...the Meguiars, NuFinish, and 3M compounds can all be found at Walmart-so save some $$ & pick it up there!

Once done with the scratch remover, polish & wax your car for the best results...

Still Too Young To Care

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Yea I have used the Nu Finish Scratch remover, the key is to wax your car after you use it. I do it all by hand with no buffer.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by jujofields View Post
    I've used Meguiars Scratch-X on several occasions & IMHO it does a wonderful job. I haven't used a buffer, applied it & buffed all by hand...the Meguiars, NuFinish, and 3M compounds can all be found at Walmart-so save some $$ & pick it up there!

Once done with the scratch remover, polish & wax your car for the best results...
    I was gonna try the scratch-x but i've heard that it's more of a filler. I definitely don't want that, i want to take a little clear coat up and get rid of these scratches for good.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

It's definitely not a filler; it has permanently removed some nasty scratches from my other fbody-a black '00....especially being black, I'd notice if the scratches showed back up after a few weeks....but it's been months on many of the former scratches & they're still gone...

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

If you're handbuffing, as with any scratch removal product, make sure to thoroughly work in the Scratch-X and, depending how deep the scratches are, use more than one application if need be...

Blue
    04 Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by jujofields View Post
    If you're handbuffing, as with any scratch removal product, make sure to thoroughly work in the Scratch-X and, depending how deep the scratches are, use more than one application if need be...
    yep stuff does work,has cleaning agents in it and some abrasives.just takes a lot of pressure and movement a lot.and usually will take anywhere to 2-4 apps,to get some results.work it in until almost clear.there is a video on youtube with Mike Phillips from Meguiars doing a demo of scratch x.

Thread Information