Inferno Orange
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99

Meguiar's DA Power tool

Hey guys! I got some water spots and surface scratches I need to take care of on my new car. I just ordered this...

Meguiar's DA Power System Tool & PowerPak Polish, Wax and Compound Accessories Bundle - Walmart.com

It has really good reviews. I was wondering if anyone here has tried this. If so, do you have any tips about using it. Just don't want to mess up my paint.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

I've got one and use it all of the time. Just make sure you use the right pad for the right product. Are you going to use ultimate compound or polish to get rid of them?
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Inferno Orange
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99

Well I bought the combo pack that comes with everything, so I was planning on using all 3 in order. Starting with the compound, then polish, then wax.

Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

It's a good tool. As stated using the proper pad with the proper liquid will get you good results. It is recommended to use a corded drill as a cordless doesn't have enough juice.

Ultimate Compound is pretty versatile. You can try it with the yellow pad first and see if that works. If you need to get more aggressive you can use it with the burgundy pad.

But try a test spot with the yellow pad and ultimate polish. This may be all you need. Are you planning to remove swirls as well?

Also the paint on f-bodies is typically on the hard side.

Inferno Orange
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99

Meguiar's DA Power tool

Well I do have a brand new 20V Dewalt cordless I just picked up for xmas. It's pretty strong. I was more concerned with it being too strong.

Not much swirls but does have some surface scratches from being rubbed up against. It also looks like the previous owner had a habit of putting stuff on the roof above the driver door.
    Last edited by zr1chris; 02-08-2015 at 05:30 PM.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

DA systems are great for beginners in detailing. They are designed to keep you from burning up the paint. Just keep it moving and you should be fine. GM clear is hard. Tape off some test spots on panels that aren't highly visible to test it out and see which you need to use to get the results you want.
    Last edited by raynor139; 02-08-2015 at 05:36 PM.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Inferno Orange
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99

What should I do about the stripes? Can I treat them like the rest of the paint? Don't want to ruin them or get any wax build up on the edges.

I really wish car companies would paint this type of stuff on instead of using decals. Everything is about cost I guess

Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

If they are vinyl then tape of the edges. Save yourself the hassle of cleaning that mess. You could use some Meguiar's Quik Wax on the vinyls. That will add some protection to them. Other than that I would not use anything on them like a polish or compound with abrasives in it. If you have ultimate wax, the liquid version will not stain trim.

Inferno Orange
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99

Meguiar's DA Power tool

Thanks Guz. I've been doing some research on them and it seems like there is no good way of polishing them so I'll probably just stick to car wash soap and water for the stripes. They still look new so I'm not too worried about them atm.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by zr1chris View Post
    Well I do have a brand new 20V Dewalt cordless I just picked up for xmas. It's pretty strong. I was more concerned with it being too strong.

Not much swirls but does have some surface scratches from being rubbed up against. It also looks like the previous owner had a habit of putting stuff on the roof above the driver door.
    Take a good look at the water spots.
    They tend to etch into the paint.
    Try rubbing it by hand first with a polish and an applicator. It's not going to remove it completely, what you're looking for is to see after it's cleaned up if you can tell how much the water spots have etched in. Look at them at eye level, you would appreciate it better

If they are etched-in, no buffer will ever remove it, because it's eaten thru the clear, you can assess how much. In most cases it may have just started to eat into the paint.
    The right way of doing it is using a 2000 grit wet sandpaper and go over it ever so slightly applying light to medium pressure and then buff away.
    If you're not expirienced in wet sanding, then this is not the time to learn, a body shop may be your best option.
    Again, what determines what to do, is the level of damage the water spot has inflicted onto your paint. I've see some very superficial ones that you can see, but cannot feel with your hands, in other words, you don't feel it's textured yet, those may buff out.
    If they're superficial or "fresh", then buffing it may do the job, if they won't buff out after few tries, then stop. It's not going to do you much good at this point.
    Last edited by Z06-Goose; 04-05-2015 at 09:52 PM.

Thread Information