Black
    1998 Trans Am, 2007 TB SS

Love Bugs ... what the hell?

Anyone else suffer with these little nymphos or are they "indingenous" (good word, huh?) to the South. They serve no purpose whatsoever. I have to wash my car like 3 times a week now, because their blood will actually take your paint off if left on too long. I have to clean my filter like every two weeks now because there's usually about 30 or 40 just jammed in there. Anyone else going through this?

navy blue metallic
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by SR71 View Post
    Anyone else suffer with these little nymphos or are they "indingenous" (good word, huh?) to the South. They serve no purpose whatsoever. I have to wash my car like 3 times a week now, because their blood will actually take your paint off if left on too long. I have to clean my filter like every two weeks now because there's usually about 30 or 40 just jammed in there. Anyone else going through this?
    In south fl. we had loads of those little buggers,but i hav'ent seen one for about three years.Iknow your pain.

rique71

white
    1998 z28

there were alot here in tampa a few months ago but havent seen them lately i hate those damn things

Yeah, get them here in Jax every year, some years are worse than others. They're so darn acidic nothing will eat them - but the little critters will gladly eat your paint if you leave them on there.

SUNSET ORANGE
    2001 PONTIAC TRANS AM WS6

just keep them off the paint and they wont destroy it. I never had to take them off my air fillter.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

They are a royal PITA!

white
    2004 corvette

love buggs suck...and to think the goverment brought them here to eat mosquitos... what a pain...sebring fl...

Artic White
    01 WS6

the goverment brought them here to eat mosquitos
    Ive heard rumors like this and about UF but its false.

hxxx://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovebugs

Yep, they suck!

Black
    2005 GTO

Yeah was dealing with them a few weeks ago but they let up now. One of those f'ers got splatered real good on my drivers door and has left a nasty mark behind. The paints not gone but it just look like something is still stuck on the paint after washing it several times. I really need to get out and try claybaring it to see if that will remove it or if it really f'ed the paint up.

You're doing the right thing by washing your car immediately. One of the things I've found helps is to really cover the areas with bugs with a soft stream of water for a few minutes and then a few minutes later hit them again with a stronger stream. Getting the bugs soaked with water helps to get them off. You can then do your regular wash with a good soap. If that doesn't work, I have the old Turtle Wax "bug and tar remover" on standby and occasionally I have to use it to get the tougher stains out - not very often though. You're right about those stupid love bugs. They serve no purpose and they're terrible in the South in May and Sept-Oct. Good luck.

Black
    1998 Trans Am, 2007 TB SS

A girl at work told me about fabric softener/dryer sheet. Get a used one from the dryer and it will take them right off. New ones don't work as good. Just wet it with soap and water and they will come right off, and since they're so soft, you won't have to worry about jacking up your paint. They come off so easy like that.

navy blue metallic
    2000 camaro ss

Took a ride to the beau rivage in Biloxi mi.in my van.I got loaded with love bugs and lost o lot of paint. Splatters everywhere.After katrina you cant even find a gas station,never mind a car wash.

6 Speed / Spice Red

Spice Red
    06 GTO

One Word... Zaino

I live in Central Florida and know exactly what you mean. Hate to say it again, but Zaino is the ticket (a sponsor here).

I keep a couple extra coats of Z5/Z6 along the leading edges of the car (front grill and mirror) and those love bugs drop off like meat off rib bones that have been cooking for 8 hours... like a steak off a buttered, teflon pan.

Short of that, try some Clay Magic. http://www.claymagic.net available at I think Auto Zone and online. (Zaino also sells a very good clay bar). That stuff gets anything off of paint. It's not failed me yet.

What's posted above is true. If you allow those bug guts to sit on the paint, it will eat into your clear coat and the paint. Wash right away. I like Zaino because it protects the paint and gives me a few days to wash the bugs off.
    Tom 06 GTO
    Spice Red 6 Speed 18" Wheels

Used to Be... Tom 02 Z28 - 6/01 to 8/06
    My 02 Z28 - Sold 8/27/06

Used to Be... Tom 99 SS - Gathering 3 & 4 Days
    My 99 SS - Still on Sal's Website

Thread Information