2002 Arctic White T/A Ws6islife's Avatar

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

Idiot who painted my car...

Painted it with the parts on the car. What can I do to fix the orange peel on the paint? And how to remove pain out of the fenderwells and off the windshield wipers?

NBM
    99 Z28

Well, your definitly not picking your car up without an aggresive argument !!
    99 NBM Z/28 M6
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=72678&dateline=130557  0961

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

No sure didn't he did not want to fix the issue so I only paid him for the paint. Brought it hone and I'm going to fix her up myself.

NBM
    99 Z28

Well I used Kerosene to clean up a lot of suff but could you post a few pic's to figure out the amount of damage we are talking about ?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

for overspray, you'll want to use an aggressive clay bar-they are puple colored. To remove the orange peel, you'll need to wetsand and buff.

Black
    1987 Trans Am GTA

My 1st Question would be did he use a single stage finish or a Base Coat / Clear Coat Finish? Sanding and Polishing into someone elses Paint work can be a scary or even disasterous operation. You have no idea how many coats that person actually applied thus meaning you could burn or sand thru the paint very quickly then needing to be repainted. Try a small out of the way area 1st to see what you have to work with.

As far as the wipers? Depending on how bad they are it might be easier to just glass bead them and recoat them with some semi flat black. They are easily removed and can be done quickly, easily and cheaply.

Rear Fender wells? Are your Fender wells Undercoated? If they are simply Pull the wheels, Clean the Wheel Wells and Re-Spray a thin coat of 3M Undercoating on them. Just take time to tape off the sides of the car and Shocks and whatnot under there.

Front Fender Liners? If they are undercoated you can do the same as on the rear. If they are not undercoated then remove the fender liners and simply clean them with Laquer Thinner. Remember that prolonged exposure to the thinner will however soften the plastic so take your time there. If that doesnt do it you could always clean em and paint em with your left over semi-flat black from the wipers or simply replace em.
    Thanks Joe
    Top of Texas Trans Am Club of Amarillo ( 2012 President )

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

Thanks for all the feed back. What grit sandpaper would you guys recommend to wet sand and buff??
    Yea I realized that aftermarket fenders are crap also. It sucks that I wrecked. She don't look like she used to.

$ 25,000 panty dropper VENOMOUS's Avatar

2005 Ram SRT-10 QC 8.3l
    1999 FRC Black

Quote Originally Posted by Ws6islife View Post
    Thanks for all the feed back. What grit sandpaper would you guys recommend to wet sand and buff??
    Yea I realized that aftermarket fenders are crap also. It sucks that I wrecked. She don't look like she used to.
    Depends on the amount of Orange Peel we are talking, it could take anywhere from 1500 to 3000 grit.

Where did you find aftermarket T/A fenders for a 98+ F-Bod? Didn't think they existed? Maybe he just needs to align everything still or you have more structure damage beneath the plastic fenders?

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

Brake fluid removes new paint. The reason I say that is because I had a fender on my car repainted and after the body shop was done with it I checked the brake fluid and it was a little low so I added a little and accidentley dribbled a few drops on the freshly painted fender and it sat on the fender about 15 minutes before I noticed it, after I washed it off there were little holes in the paint where the brake fluid drops were.

If you want to try it on the overspray, thats up to you.

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

now im kinda scared to lol. i might just remove them and repaint them with some spray paint. I mean im really ticked off that this happend but like i said, i did not pay him but the money for the paint and clear coat. I asked the guy if he painted with the parts on or off, for that same reason. The hood is not even lined up right and the new light does not open or close for that same reason.

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

i can not get my hood jams to match up or my headlights to open up while my hood is closed. very irritating.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

The overspray on the wipers and in the fenderwells shouldn't be too much trouble for you to do, just a bit of work.
    However, You might want to take it to another bodyshop to have the panels aligned.
    If the panels aren't right, nothing on the car will look right.

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

Yea aftermarket fenders do not work. I know next time to go oem. It's so frustrating. It's probably my core support also.

Thread Information