Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

I followed the directions on a touch up and f*ed up my paint

Hey, I need some help desperately over here. I've had two really bad marks on my car, one was a looong scratch on the body kit side peice and in the end a chunk is missing. On my fender, there is a series of scraches kinda deep. I bought a touch-up kit and clayed the body kit, then used the touch up paint. It looks fine unless you get near it, then you can see almost a bubble texture where the touch-up paint is. I'm relatively happy with how it looks unless there's a way to perfect it, because at a glimpse you wouldn't notice there was a chunk missing. On the fender, I used touch up paint and then a layer of clear-coat. The directions said to wet-sand (with the sandpaper given) the area until it is relatively smooth. I don't think I over-sanded the area, but it looks terrible. Around the scratches the paint is now dull with fine scratches from the sandpaper and the damn touch-up paint didn't even blend in-it is still bubbly! It looks exactly like how my headlights looked when I wet-sanded them with 2000 grit. Somebody help!

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Hmm, I would call the manufacturer of the touch up paint or kit you used to find out if you did something wrong or if there product was just garbage. I'm sure they can point ya in the right direction.
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

it was some well-known touch up kit they sell everywhere. im unsure as to what the name is. i still have the marks and ill try to buff it out someday. i already tried to use wax and polish but failed.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i'd say take the ground effect off, and have it painted by a pro. couldn't cost more than 75 or so to do it and it'll look smooth.

Silver
    2002 SS

http://www.paintscratch.com/spraycan.htm

I have had good luck with small repairs and paint match with paintscratch.com. Above link is instructions for spray can.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

First thing I would like to know was how long was it allowed to dry before it was sanded? Paint always needs 24 hours drying time before you do anything.
    Second, what grit sand paper did you use? I wouldn't touch a car after I painted it with anything coarser then 1500 grit, then finish with 2000 grit.
    Third, you will have to use a electric or air powered buffer with a wool pad and buffing compound to buff it out. Then come back with some machine polish. After working at a bodyshop for over five years, I've gotten a lot of practice and can make chips pretty much disappear.

Fairies Drive Imports camaro_five0's Avatar

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

hmm, good help. i think if i cant buff it out, ill probably buy a used painted fender to replace mine and learn how to touch-up with my extra fender for future use.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

i don't think ill bother with the ground effects. you really cant see the chunk/scratch mark anymore unless you get on your knees. it just looks a little rigid if you can find where it was damaged.

Thread Information