Yellow
    2002 Trans Am CETA

How do you get rid of smoky, gasy, old car smell?

How do you get rid of smoky, gasy, old car smell? The T/A we just got had been in and out of a workshop/warehouse full of other cars being worked on all the time and the guy also drove it alot and he smoked real heavy in the car. We sprayed febreeze, lysol, a box of dryer sheets, and left really strong strong candles (unlit) stay in the car for a couple of days with not to much luck. It seems to be in the carpet and seats pretty good. Any good tips?

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

Spray some heavy duty carpet cleaner on the carpet and then drive it to a detail shop and have tham shampoo the carpet (should be around 50$). That should help a lot, i bet a lot of the smell is old ashes rubbed into the carpet......also get a bucket with some soap and water and scrub down the seats (actually all the interior you can) with a sponge, dont be afraid to get the leather a little wet, just make sure you dry it really good and preferably condition it afterwards.......good luck to ya....i just picked up a 99' z28 and im doing just about everything i mentioned to you, I clean the heck out of every new/used car i get. Its a lot of work but once your done you'll notice a big difference and everytime you get into your car you will appreciate the cleaning you did.

Black
    1999 WS6

If you can find a product called "Spray Nine" buy it and try it on the carpets, seats, everything you can spray it on. I'd remove the seats and do a thorough cleaning.

I had my 75 Formula 400 in the shop "after" I had the interior done first...stupid ass mistake on my part.
    That helped me. Good Luck.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Replace the carpets and padding throughout, + mats.. Steam clean the seats..imho.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Cut a slit in a new bag of charcoal and let it sit in there with the doors closed. Gets cigarette stank out atleast for me

Thread Information