Thread: Help!!

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Help!!

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and thought you guys might be able to give me some advice. I have a black trans am and I have somehow gotten white paint specks (LOTS of them) on the front end and the hood. I assume I was behind someone who ran through wet lines on the road and it splattered back onto my car. Needless to say, it has dried!! I actually thought it was nicks in the paint, but there were too many and then I figured out it was PAINT. How can I get it off without damaging the paint or clearcoat? I just had it painted last September after it got scratched up in a tornado!! I have no luck with this black car. Please help if you can.

Much thanks, in advance :-)

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and thought you guys might be able to give me some advice. I have a black trans am and I have somehow gotten white paint specks (LOTS of them) on the front end and the hood. I assume I was behind someone who ran through wet lines on the road and it splattered back onto my car. Needless to say, it has dried!! I actually thought it was nicks in the paint, but there were too many and then I figured out it was PAINT. How can I get it off without damaging the paint or clearcoat? I just had it painted last September after it got scratched up in a tornado!! I have no luck with this black car. Please help if you can.

Much thanks, in advance :-)
    The only thing that would safely remove that is a claybar
    You can buy them at your local car parts store.
    If you get to buy it, let me know, and I can post here how to use it and what to do, or PM me if you wish...

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I do already have a clay bar. I will give that a try this weekend. Any special tips, other than how it's normally used?

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

I do already have a clay bar. I will give that a try this weekend. Any special tips, other than how it's normally used?
    Just a lot of elbow grease, if you already know how to use it. Be patient, use plenty lube...
    I had to do a black Monte Carlo that got oversprayed badly by a neighbor painting his house. The car was parked on the driveway. No fun

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Thanks goose. Believe it or not, clay bar didn't touch it. I tried fine cut rubbing compound also, no luck. I broke down (was afraid to try) and used laquer thinner, and to my amazement, it came right off!!! Of course, I didn't rub too hard. Thanks for you help. I will post some pics as soon as I can. My T/A looks pretty damn good for being 9 years old and a daily driver. With only me detailing it!!!

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Thanks goose. Believe it or not, clay bar didn't touch it. I tried fine cut rubbing compound also, no luck. I broke down (was afraid to try) and used laquer thinner, and to my amazement, it came right off!!! Of course, I didn't rub too hard. Thanks for you help. I will post some pics as soon as I can. My T/A looks pretty damn good for being 9 years old and a daily driver. With only me detailing it!!!
    Well, I'm glad you resolved your issue. I'm surprised the claybar didn't work for you, though it would've require some effort, I must admit..

Now, what you should do is apply some cleaner wax to get rid of any lacquer thinner residual and wax your car to protect it against the element...
    Good luck...

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Speed addict (a member here) had this happen but alot of paint got on his car-a gallon of paint fell out of a truck he was driving behind.

He used some special stuff for it that worked awsome- I cannot remember the name.

I pm'ed him to find out.

(I just wanted to find out what he used to add it to this thread to help others)
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 07-19-2009 at 04:23 PM.

Thread Information