Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Hand wax or buffer ?

Which do you do, hand wax or use a buffer ? Pros and cons ?

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Waxes are meant to be applied by hand. There's really not pros and cons. I've used it both ways. By machine it's obviously faster, but you're really not gaining anything in terms of final looks one over the other
    -Goose

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    Waxes are meant to be applied by hand. There's really not pros and cons. I've used it both ways. By machine it's obviously faster, but you're really not gaining anything in terms of final looks one over the other
    -Goose
    can a buffer damage your paint ?

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by rrgray8 View Post
    can a buffer damage your paint ?
    Depends on which one. A PC (Porter Cable) is the safest one to use. It ocsillate (sp?!) on its axis. It goes by orbits per minutes
    A rotary buffer rotates and it's measured in rpm and can really damage your paint if you're not careful, or have no experience using it. It generates a lot more heat than a PC

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Depends on which one. A PC (Porter Cable) is the safest one to use. It ocsillate (sp?!) on its axis. It goes by orbits per minutes
    A rotary buffer rotates and it's measured in rpm and can really damage your paint if you're not careful, or have no experience using it. It generates a lot more heat than a PC
    how much does a PC cost ?

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

A buffer can damage, burn ,and badly swirl the paint if a person applies too much pressure, or stays on the edges too long. The edges are most prone to having burn throughs. Also when you use a wool or foam pad with buffing compound (which is usually coarser) you are actually removing some of the clear coat. If there isn't any real deep scratches, with buffing you will be just spending time doing something that doesn't need to be done. Also you'll be making more work for yourself with the added clean up that is needed. Just some of my experiances after working at a bodyshop and detailing cars for over 5 years. My car had 60,000 miles of washes, so it was faded and had alot for swirl marks on it. So I buffed it out. Now 2 years later it still looks great and alls I have to do is wax it by hand three times a year before the big car shows.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z-28 SS

I hand wax my car. I guess I am just to afraid of possibly f'n up my clear coat or something.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by rrgray8 View Post
    how much does a PC cost ?
    A good kit costs about $189.00 or so. It comes with all the pads you'll need, backing plate. I bought mine HERE
    The 189.99 is the one I would recommend. It has all the pads you need. The Orange pad is for more deeper swirls and some scratches to be used with a compound. The white pad is a polishing pad that can also be used to remove light swirl marks with a mild compound. The black pad is the finishing pad used to apply sealants, waxes, polishers, and what not. The blue pad is the finesse pad, also used to apply the final polish, or wax that are meant to enhance gloss on the paint

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

A good kit costs about $189.00 or so. It comes with all the pads you'll need, backing plate. I bought mine HERE
    The 189.99 is the one I would recommend. It has all the pads you need. The Orange pad is for more deeper swirls and some scratches to be used with a compound. The white pad is a polishing pad that can also be used to remove light swirl marks with a mild compound. The black pad is the finishing pad used to apply sealants, waxes, polishers, and what not. The blue pad is the finesse pad, also used to apply the final polish, or wax that are meant to enhance gloss on the paint
    thanks man always good info

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

You should only apply a wax/polish by hand. If you are using a fine cut rubbing compound or other mild abrasive, a buffer will yield you better results.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

I always apply the wax, sealant, whatever by hand, but I use a WaxMaster style random orbit buffer with a microfiber pad to remove the haze. Seems to work fine, saves a lot of effort. Gotta be careful about changing pads frequently, though: you don't want a lot of build-up on the pad. 2 more months before I can start using it again: it's still a bit chilly here.....

Black
    98 Z/28

I am not sure one is better than the other... But I myself prefer to do it by hand.
    Just an old fart in a Z/28

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I got mine for 120 shipped and it came with one pad. I then bought a backing plate and cutting pad for 25 just because I didnt need all the pads and my money was kinda tight at the time. The kit for 180 is great if you need all those pads otherwise go with what you need and buy other pads later if you need them.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

You will get better results using a buffer when using a fine cut rubbing compound or mildly abrasive swirl mark remover product. I only apply the polish and hand glaze by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
    I am not sure one is better than the other... But I myself prefer to do it by hand.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
    It really is a matter of preference. As a matter of fact, there are some nice and very expensive waxes rith now in the Zymol line that it's recommended you apply by hand. An by hand they mean your bare hands, no towel, no applicator
    There are also some waxes that by the nature of them, they need to be applied real thin. I find the PC perfect for even distribution of these type of waxes
    Goose

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

It really is a matter of preference. As a matter of fact, there are some nice and very expensive waxes rith now in the Zymol line that it's recommended you apply by hand. An by hand they mean your bare hands, no towel, no applicator
    There are also some waxes that by the nature of them, they need to be applied real thin. I find the PC perfect for even distribution of these type of waxes
    Goose
    What is your background with detailing Goose? I am not questioning your knowledge, I know you know your stuff, was just curious how you got so knowledgeable about it?

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    What is your background with detailing Goose? I am not questioning your knowledge, I know you know your stuff, was just curious how you got so knowledgeable about it?
    I'm just do detailing as a hobby. I've been doing it for a while, and learning by experience. I also frequent some internet boards that are for detailing only. I've learned a lot from them as well. Lots of professional detailers hang out on those forums
    After a while, you know what works, and what doesn't in terms of products and such. If you wanted to learn a bit more about detailing, there's a forum called www.autopia.org it's in my opinion the best forum out there.
    I mostly go to another forum in England, just because those guys use a lot of sophisticated waxes, and the way they explain the techniques used is very thorough.
    Nowadays, there are a lot of videos on the internet about proper paint care. One of those sites that have such videos is http://www.adamspolishes.com/ lookup the "Instructional Videos" on the right side of the page, and click on any topic you want to watch. Though they use only Adam's products, the same principle apply to any product you use.

I'm also the type of guy who likes to experiment with an array of different products. The detail crowd is different from the "mod" crowd. While some parts will give you good hp, others will not get the same. With detailing, everything works pretty much the same way for everybody

When you have the inside knowledge by benefiting from going to forums like that, it works in the same way when somebody new to fbodies asks you what mods can he start with on his fbody? You know is CAI, exhaust, headers, etc... same thing with care care
    Goose
    Last edited by Z06-Goose; 03-09-2007 at 02:22 PM.

NBM
    2000 WS6

Come on Goose............

You learned everything over here........The guys that know everything.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10
    Last edited by 4get gto; 03-09-2007 at 04:22 PM. Reason: busting your ass
    2000 NBM WS6

/oo_________oo\
    |==_/_ws6_\_==|

><(((º>´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by 4get gto View Post
    Come on Goose............

You learned everything over here........The guys that know everything.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10
    For specific corvette paint care, I've learned few things from there too, but as far as overall detailing techniques, there are other boards that have professional detailers in there. The Corvette Forum is more geared towards the weekend detailer who wants their rides to look good, for more deep detailing education, there are boards like autopia, detailcity and such where a wider range of products are used
    Goose

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I use a Porter Cable to apply Pinnacle Liquid Soverign Wax. Remove it by hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information