Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bright Rally Red
    2002 SS Camaro vert

First time fears!

Hello everybody!
    This is my first post but I've read just about the entire site and the info provided here is awesome. Just picked up my 2002 SS Camaro Convertible 6 spd in Long Island on 1/31/09 and drove her back to central NY and parked her for the winter. The car only has 20,000 one owner miles and was well cared for, but never super babied. It has some light swirl marks that I'd like to take care of. I want to try (for the first time) using a pc buffer. I'm not an idiot, and I've done a lot of hand detailing. That being said, would you recommend the porter cable system for a first timer. The car is bright rally red! Thanks a ton in advance! I'll post some pics asap!

Red
    98 Trans Am Ws6

I would use the dual action porter cable over a rotary if it is your first time. A dual action polisher is extremely safe. As for polish I would use a Menzerna polish. They have a guide to help you pick which one. After the polishing just use a glaze followed by wax.

Bright Rally Red
    2002 SS Camaro vert

thanks! the dual action pc is what i was refering to. i was wondering why more people don't use the PC 7336. It has a 6" wheel...wouldn't that be a better fit for the 6 1/2" pads than the 5" on the PC 7424? Read an article that prefered the 7336 for this reason. It said there was less vibration because of a better fit. Just want to know which one people prefer.

NBM
    2000 WS6

The PC 7424 and the 7336 are the same. Only thing different is the counterbalance weight they use. The 7336 I think uses a little heavier weight = Less vibration to the user but maybe alittle less cutting action...

Some people like a 5" pad over a 6" pad cause they think a smaller pad cuts better. And there is some truth to that.

At the end of the day both will make your hands feel numb.

Awaiting Activation superman4evr's Avatar

Red Jewell Tintcoat
    2008 Grand Prix GXP

I did the majority of my detailing by hand for years. I bought the PC 7424 and the Lake Country pads with it. I got really good with it. And I'm now ready to use my new Makita polisher. PC's are great for the first timer. You won't regret buying one.

Bright Rally Red
    2002 SS Camaro vert

Thanks for the info guys! What does everybody use on their PC...a 6" or 5" backing plate? I read somewhere that a 6" backing plate with a 6 1/2" ccs pad causes less vibration which in turn translate into longer bearing life for your PC. Also, it results in less product splatter. I guess this first timer is getting confused a little. Could you guys reccommend a good equipment starting point assuming I have nothing. The car only has light swirls, so I planned on a little clay...followed by a light polish and waxing, both with the PC.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Might i suggest the FLEX hand-held buffers? I'm a bit partial since I do a lot of design work for them.

http://flexna.com/grinding.html

Last edited by third_shift|studios; 02-05-2009 at 12:52 PM.

NBM
    2000 WS6

My take on this.......Mileage may vary...

I only ever used 6 1/2" pads . I always seem to to get good results with them.....

As far as the bigger pads causing less vibration // Making the PC last longer ???? I don't think so... They are pretty bullet proof wheither you use a 4 or 6.5.......

The last ?........ Any mild polishing compound would work well. Sometimes you want to take word Compound out of the sentence and just look for a good polish....There are many......Meguiar's ....Mothers....Adams......Zaino........just to name a few.....They all make excellent polishes that will do wonders on scratches and or swirls.....

Bright Rally Red
    2002 SS Camaro vert

do you use the 6 1/2" pad with a 6" or 5" backing plate? thanks for the great info.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I'll second the Flex. Skip the PC. No need to worry with either tho.
    Last edited by INMY01TA; 02-06-2009 at 11:00 AM.

white black stripes
    1996 camaro ss

off topic

marcy is not far from sylvan beach hope you will attend thurs night cruises there we need more f bodies to show up i think they start april or early may there is a web sight hope to see you there

Red
    98 Trans Am Ws6

I would have loved to get a flex but I couldnt justify the extra cost.

NBM
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by garver View Post
    I would have loved to get a flex but I couldnt justify the extra cost.

Yep.....Would like to buy a flex.....But I don't do enough other detailing to wear the PC out......

Also I use a 6" backing plate......You really have to stick to around the same size of pads you are using...Otherwise I think you would get alot of rollover of the pad itself. The outer most part of the pad would do no good if it did'nt have something there to support it. .

Bright Rally Red
    2002 SS Camaro vert

dans96ss... I'll definitely try to make it out there...nice ride when it isn't buggy! Do they get a lot of late models out there? I've had quite a few classics in the past and always thought my late models were kind of out of place at the car shows, but if there are quite a few of them, then I wouldn't feel odd about going.

What does everybody use on there dash. Anything out there that doesn't attract dust?!?!?!?!?!?!?

white black stripes
    1996 camaro ss

beach

yes they do early spring is not to buggy i feel your pain with my artic white SS sylvan beach web site will tell you when they start i try to show up early leave befor dark helps keep the splats down mid summer the parking lot and the lawn are full every kinda car you can think of we get such a short nice weather stretch here but it keeps my mileage down another good cruise site is at wegmans rt 11 cicero.ny wednesdays especially the week of syracuse nationals 2 to 300 cars will show up cant wait for spring! try to get out if you can say hi ill be the only one with a 96 SS so far anyway

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

im guessing thats your car in that pic TSS

white black stripes
    1996 camaro ss

yes it is some reason i cant post pics in here

Red
    2001 ws6

welcome from another new yorker, get a mini duster for your dash.

Bright Rally Red
    2002 SS Camaro vert

basballny2...you near central ny or are you down state?

dan...what time do you get out to the show usually? I have committments on thursday nights...but i could get there a little late.

Red
    2001 ws6

im dan as well haha, im from long island, nassau county

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information