Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Engine Bay and Under the Car

ok...so I just read through the 9 page engine bay detailer that is stickied...

Question 1: can I spray the entire engine down with a simple green mix, scrub, and hose it off "light mist" or spray only certain stuff with the simple green mix and avoid specific parts of the motor?

Question 2: anybody have a specific product they recommend for cleaning the underside of the car...? The engine bay and the underside of the car are the only 2 places I have not detailed my car 100%. Everything else has been knocked out...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Yes you can or even use towels that ware wet and wipe off. Mist setting is the key and avoiding the intake and air lid.

I like Simple Green because it cuts grease without the risk of removing paint.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Avoid the alternator. I just use a plastic bag to cover it to be safe and try not to douse any wiring. I use simple green and keep old tooth brushes around for the tough spots. I'm going to have to do mine here pretty soon. Getting mighty dusty under there.

Navy Blue Metallic

Jeff is the best to talk with. I don't think he even drives his car. Damn thing is disgusting on how clean it is. You could eat off it.

Black / White

I've seen where they recommend not getting the back of the motor wet because of some sensors back there, but can I hit the top of the motor with the simple green mix and some water mist? Just making sure before I get this stuff around fuel rails and the injectors...im not going to concentrate in that area, just making sure.

Navy Blue Metallic

you have the OPSU and the cam sensor as well as the MAP sensor on the intake. The OPSU will crack just looking at it. Honestly unless you're in a 1000 pt judging contest for a show no one will ever look back there.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    you have the OPSU and the cam sensor as well as the MAP sensor on the intake. The OPSU will crack just looking at it. Honestly unless you're in a 1000 pt judging contest for a show no one will ever look back there.
    so its true lol dont go near the back of the motor...I was just making sure. I had no intention of sticking a hose back there or anything, but just wanted to check. So the top of the motor is fair game as long as I dont hit it with a lot of water?
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Navy Blue Metallic

light mist

unless you want to do a rebuild,

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have sprayed down the entire engine bay with Simple Green, scrubbed problem areas with a sponge and then hosed it all down. After rinsing it all real well, I get the air hose out and start the drying process catching water spray with a towel. Once everything is mostly dry, I then start the engine and let it warm up to complete the process. The only area I really avoid spraying is the PCM in the back corner of the engine bay on the passenger side. Under the car, I also use Simple Green, a bucket of hot water with dish detergent and a sponge. On plastic parts, or anything that is grimed up, I spray WD-40 on a shop rag and wipe it down. Not saying this is the right or best way to do things, but it has worked well on our all our play cars.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I have sprayed down the entire engine bay with Simple Green, scrubbed problem areas with a sponge and then hosed it all down. After rinsing it all real well, I get the air hose out and start the drying process catching water spray with a towel. Once everything is mostly dry, I then start the engine and let it warm up to complete the process. The only area I really avoid spraying is the PCM in the back corner of the engine bay on the passenger side. Under the car, I also use Simple Green, a bucket of hot water with dish detergent and a sponge. On plastic parts, or anything that is grimed up, I spray WD-40 on a shop rag and wipe it down. Not saying this is the right or best way to do things, but it has worked well on our all our play cars.
    cool that sounds like the same thing im going to do...good to know it works for you. I did read that CD2 detailer is a great product to use in the engine bay after everything is cleaned up.

Have you had any issues with using WD40 on rubber or plastic...? I've "heard" that it can pull moisture out of stuff over time.
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 04-10-2014 at 05:21 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have also heard people say that, but I have been using WD-40 for clean up now for at least 20 years with zero issues. I especially like using it on underhood wiring, plastic wheel well liners and other plastic parts that are grungy.

Black / White

I have also heard people say that, but I have been using WD-40 for clean up now for at least 20 years with zero issues. I especially like using it on underhood wiring, plastic wheel well liners and other plastic parts that are grungy.
    I've used it for tar and stuff like that so I could understand why it would be a good cleaner. Just never used it in a large area like a wheel liner or something like that. I'll give it a shot tho!

Navy Blue Metallic

I know off road guys use WD40 to help keep mud off the underside of the vehicles. They spray a liberal amount and as they go through the trails it helps prevent the mud form sticking.

Black / White

I know off road guys use WD40 to help keep mud off the underside of the vehicles. They spray a liberal amount and as they go through the trails it helps prevent the mud form sticking.
    now that you mention it...i've heard of guys putting it on the bottom portion of fenders when they take the cars to the track. keeps the burnt rubber from sticking to the fenders and the wheel wells.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Cooking spray would be preferred over WD-40 on painted surfaces to prevent things from sticking.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Cooking spray would be preferred over WD-40 on painted surfaces to prevent things from sticking.
    That is a really good idea.

Navy Blue Metallic

I know someone that uses that temp plastic paint to keep the rubber off the paint. Sprays on before going to the track, peels off when leaving.

Black / White

I know someone that uses that temp plastic paint to keep the rubber off the paint. Sprays on before going to the track, peels off when leaving.
    good ole plastidip...its like Frank's Red Hot...I put that sh*t on everything.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

That is also a very good idea.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I use the blue painters tape on my fenders at the track. Peels right off.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information