Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duster Question

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Duster Question

I have a black 98 z28 and every time I wash it/wax it within 7-8 hours pollen/dust is all over it. I thought it would be a good idea to get a California Duster but I have a few questions. (1) will it scratch my paint if I am just removing light dust or pollen? (2) I read that it can cause streaking- is this true? (3) Is it better to use it in the shade?(4) Do you guys reccomend these?-I noticed alot of guys on here have em. Thank you for your help
    -this site rules!

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I have one and use it on my car without fear and I am as big of a detail freak as you will find on this site. As long as its just a thin layer of dust on your car, it won't scratch it. If your car is very dirty/needs washing then it might scratch it.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Cool- I already bought one so I am glad of that. Did it make streaks when u first used it? Thanks for you time

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by deadbydawn421 View Post
    Cool- I already bought one so I am glad of that. Did it make streaks when u first used it? Thanks for you time
    It will streak until you get some dust and dirt in it. And it will if the paint is hot or in direct sunlight.

You need to buy a grounding strap from Gates and attach to your car to keep it static free which clings the dust and dirt to your car.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    It will streak until you get some dust and dirt in it. And it will if the paint is hot or in direct sunlight.

You need to buy a grounding strap from Gates and attach to your car to keep it static free which clings the dust and dirt to your car.
    I am not trying to be a smartass but are you for real? They really make a strap to cut down static on your car? I just never heard of such a thing and thought maybe you were pullin my leg.Thanks

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I am not trying to be a smartass but are you for real? They really make a strap to cut down static on your car? I just never heard of such a thing and thought maybe you were pullin my leg.Thanks
    Yes I don't have the part # with me it's at the shop. If you do a search on my posts I just gave the part # and a link to Gates last week or maybe 2 weeks ago I can't remember.

Yes it's a rubber strap that lightly drags the ground and keeps the car from gaining static electricity. NO BULL SH_T!!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Wow do you have one on your car and have you noticed any difference? I appreciate your help if you say it works I will be getting one. The dust and pollen really clings to my car-alot worse then my ols black s-10 pu. I appreciate your time and help Thank you

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Yes I have them on everything I drive!!
    No problem glad to help.

Bright Silver Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

The Duster will work fine for you.

Collector Yellow (54U)
    2002 Trans Am CE

When I had my Black 99 T/A, my California car duster went with me EVERYWHERE!
    When I would get out of the car after driving, I would dust it off. When I came back from wherever I was I would dust it off again before I went driving.

...I know, its a sickness.

They are safe as long as they are used properly. Let the strands hang and lightly dust. Don't rub the duster into the paint.
    2002 Trans Am Collector Edition WS6 ASC# 619
    Coupe | Collector Yellow on Ebony Leather | A4 | TCS | #126 of 510 T-Top w/A4 made
    CETA 619 "The Falcon"

Collector Edition Owner Site: www.collectorfbody.com

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by BANDITCAR View Post
    When I had my Black 99 T/A, my California car duster went with me EVERYWHERE!
    When I would get out of the car after driving, I would dust it off. When I came back from wherever I was I would dust it off again before I went driving.

...I know, its a sickness.

They are safe as long as they are used properly. Let the strands hang and lightly dust. Don't rub the duster into the paint.
    Yes-several people that live around me think I am sick. I wash my car every 3-4 days and use Meguires quick detail in between. They just dont understand!! I love my car and cant stand for her to be dirty.

Collector Yellow (54U)
    2002 Trans Am CE

Yes-several people that live around me think I am sick. I wash my car every 3-4 days and use Meguires quick detail in between. They just dont understand!! I love my car and cant stand for her to be dirty.
    I'm totally with you. Don't worry there are always more like us out there.....We got your back!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BANDITCAR View Post
    I'm totally with you. Don't worry there are always more like us out there.....We got your back!
    Glad to hear it man! Yea the people that live around me are the kind of people who get a new car and beat the shit out of it, dont maintain it, and just buy a new one in a few years. I have always improved every vehicle I ever owned. I have no intention of ever selling my Camaro z28. In fact I want another for a daily driver z28 so I can keep making this car better. LOL maybe one day.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

i use the CA Duster on my Black SS and i even have a CA Duster they make specifically for the interior as well. I love the thing and i have had no issues with paint scratches, etc. i wash my car atleast once a week and polish/wax it atleast once a month...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I don't really like the car duster. The oils in it do streak the finish and it can scratch your paint over time as it gets a buildup of dust in it. The only car I use my duster on is my beater Honda.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    I don't really like the car duster. The oils in it do streak the finish and it can scratch your paint over time as it gets a buildup of dust in it. The only car I use my duster on is my beater Honda.
    The California Duster does not contain oils. It has a paraffin wax baked into the cotton. The duster also works better the more it is used.

http://www.carvaluesplus.com/duster.htm

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

That's all fine and dandy. I've used it and didn't like the result. I've run my finger through the cotton before and got a lightly oily product on my skin from doing so. Maybe it wasn't baked in the cotton good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    The California Duster does not contain oils. It has a paraffin wax baked into the cotton. The duster also works better the more it is used.

http://www.carvaluesplus.com/duster.htm

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

It says to let it air dry on some paper for 48 hours before using the duster on the directions. Maybe he didnt do that and it caused the oily feeling on his hand?

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

No, I followed the directions and let it sit out for over two days before using it.

It says to let it air dry on some paper for 48 hours before using the duster on the directions. Maybe he didnt do that and it caused the oily feeling on his hand?

Black
    98 Z/28

I have been happy with mine...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information