Black
    2002 trans am ws6

Detailing questions?

Hey guys just bought 2002 ws6 black...car is in great condition very clean but i do ahve some swirl marks along with very minor scratches that i kno can be taken out iv heard mixed sugestions as to wat to do should i compound the car or may that take the finish off? one budy of mine told me to wash the car compound the car wash the car again polish the car and then wax which he did 2 his and it came out flawless but his car has 17k miles on it and never seen rain mine is at 47k and it has to stay outside when it rains iv heard from other people tech wax and claybaring the car i mean i drive this car daily but plan on storing it for the winter...wats the best option to really get this car in showroom condition?? ohh and how about watermarks in the glass like the t tops or top of windshield.... all suggestions and info i thank in advance im in no rush to do this cause the weather in NY is like being in hell 97 2day with 90+ humidity!!

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

It looks like what your friend is suggesting is more like a "body shop" style buffing.
    There are some other products that can give you good results.
    If this is the first time doing it yourself, I'd recommend paying somebody else do it for you professionally. There are good detailers where you live and I could recommend one or two.
    To do it yourself for the first time it'll require a modest investment in products, tools and a reasonable know-how skills.
    This could cost more than what a pro can charge you for.
    You then can assess your position. Do you want to pay somebody to do it, and then take the time to keep it looking good by keeping it stored during the winter, and properly cleaning it during the summer, or do you see yourself buffing it once a year and learn how to do it?

Black
    2002 trans am ws6

Do you want to pay somebody to do it, and then take the time to keep it looking good by keeping it stored during the winter, and properly cleaning it during the summer, or do you see yourself buffing it once a year and learn how to do it

NAh theres no fun in that paying someone else 2 do it..I was goin to read up and learn exactly what 2 do to do it I ahve waxed and compounded cars beforei just want the best to extend the paint of the car the longest and keep it shining as much as possible Im not sure about orders to apply certain things or brand names either...my dad keeps his 70 challengerin the garage so i cant keep the car garaged so it stays outside like 7 monthes outta the year a sealant soudns good to protected the car can i apply that after wax?
    Last edited by 02blckws6; 07-24-2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: correction

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I have learned just about everything I know from Z06-Goose.

This is my car last summer. Didn't really get any good detail pics this year.
    Steps are in there, but many of the pics no longer work.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115122

And some of my daily driver...
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133587

Red
    2001 ws6

one day when im off well do it haha, my bad ive been so busy man, i havent even had a chance to do mine yet

Black
    2002 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    one day when im off well do it haha, my bad ive been so busy man, i havent even had a chance to do mine yet
    no problem dan i kno things r busy with u and stuff whenever there is time there is time ill set my tarp up the day before so we can get an early start and do both of them i dont really think ur car needs it though lol

mystic teal
    2000 camaro z28

look into the (black box) by turtle wax its a 3 stage buff and wax( cleaner, wax, and seal) its just for black paint its awsome ive used it on some of my clients cars when i had my own detailing deal going on, one of which was a srt10 viper came out awsome u can do it by hand or by high speed buffer. i is a once a year waxing and buff but it works better if u do it every 6 months.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I have learned just about everything I know from Z06-Goose.
    J/K man

yellow
    2005 corvette

interesting stuff thanks for the links !

Thread Information