Detailing frustrations

How do you guys get your F-bods looking so good. I've been cleaning and waxing for hours upon hours and I think I still have at least another solid day ahead of me just to get the meguires 1,2,3 system done.

What really burns me though is how hard to is to keep wax from getting into all the crevaces. What are some of the things you guys to do keep wax from getting inbetween places like where the ground effects meet the body or where the door guards meet the doors, or how do you get it back out of those tiny cracks?

Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

try to use a smaller amount of wax, and be careful when applying wax to spots that you think will be a PITA. Most people use three times the wax they should and don't even know it.

Im betting that your car is black? overwax is nearly impossible to avoid on a black car.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

You can use a q-tip to remove the wax from the cracks.

Awaiting Activation

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28 A4

I use a soft paint brush and some water to get wax out of the crevices. But the best remedy is prevention. If you are near emblems, weatherseals, or other places where wax removal may be a problem, use a very thin coat of wax using a square sponge and take your time.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll give it a go.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

I totally avoid waxing around crevices-you'd neve know the difference. Good luck with that 3 step system, let us know how it goes!

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

I bet you're doing it all by hand.

A polisher/buffer really helps speed up the process, and it makes it easier to keep a bunch of building from happening in the crevices.

I did the full meguiars three step process, which also included clay bar work on the front, in 4.5 to 5 hours.

To keep the buildup in crevices down, just make sure you start in the center of your panel and work towards the outside. That way you have less wax on your applicator when you get to the edge.

Here's my results: (I'm so proud of these pictures!!!)
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97562

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

I let the wax dry in those spots and then use an old dry tooth brush. Works great for me.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

silver
    1999 T/A WS6 A4

Thats the thing it takes hours and hours I spend 1 day on the body and wheels and half day on the interior and glass, add another half day if I clay bar it which is not often. As for the wax in crevices, I don't use it, I use Zaino don't have that problem.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

im always removing wax from the creases and in between panels, extra gets down in there and shows up as it dries...green wax on a green car sucks

NBM
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post

What really burns me though is how hard to is to keep wax from getting into all the crevaces. What are some of the things you guys to do keep wax from getting inbetween places like where the ground effects meet the body or where the door guards meet the doors, or how do you get it back out of those tiny cracks?

My take on this..........

Regardless whether it's a wax or a sealant it comes down to how much you apply. Use as little as possible. More is never better when appling a wax or a sealant.............
    2000 NBM WS6

/oo_________oo\
    |==_/_ws6_\_==|

><(((º>´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Awaiting Activation superman4evr's Avatar

Red Jewell Tintcoat
    2008 Grand Prix GXP

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    How do you guys get your F-bods looking so good. I've been cleaning and waxing for hours upon hours and I think I still have at least another solid day ahead of me just to get the meguires 1,2,3 system done.

If you want a better & proficient way, PM me and I'll give you my number.
    So many ways you can get it looking good. It's whatever works best for you.

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

get super thin painters tape and tape over the cracks and crevices then wax away when your done just peel it off, seen it work many times

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

the last time i did a full extreme detail, stripping, claybar, alcohol bath, paint cleaning, polish, wax, etc it took me 18hrs. I kept track....but its worth it everyone tells me that they have never seen black paint look so deep and black.....i guess it works out for me, i love detailing, i mean i wipe the thing down with detail spray even if i just drove to get some food. so there is your answer......our cars look the way they do because we are super obsessive compulsive about our cars!!!! But we wouldnt have it any other way.

Thread Information