black
    1998 camaro

cleaning suggestions..wanted

ok ive read the stickies and a bunch of threads, who else has a dated interior like my 98, that is in solid shape, but needs some TLC and freshening..before i waste money on armor all etc, ... what have you guys/gals used that really works, and what doesnt..ideas for getting carpet 'like new clean' , same with rest of cloth interior.. throw me some brands of products/pics of your work/ideas, ..

red
    95 Z28

I use prima products sometimes for interior stuff, specifically nero to protect paneling and dash surfaces. There there are lots of cleaners out there that will work. Meguiars makes good general purpose cleaners that work great to clean the dash and all the vinyl. And keep in mind, meguiars product lines extend well beyond what you see in walmart or autozone. You wont find most of their professional level products in autozone, etc. As far as the interior goes, remove all of the seats to start, including back seats. Then, with the carpet, you need to vacuum it, then brush it with a stiff bristled brush, vacuum again, and then use an extraction machine to actually clean the carpet. There are many solutions you can use for that. I've used bissel's stuff, and stuff called odo-ban to remove any smell that can be lingering in a car, like smoke, etc. You can use the same solutions on the cloth seats, just make sure everything has time to dry completely before putting it back together. You can also clean out the ventilation system by using a can of ZEP odor eliminator spray or similar. Turn the car on, turn the heater on full blast. Then spray the can into the cabin air intake and let it suck some in. Make sure you switch the heater through the different zones so all of the vents get cleaned out. Then when you're all done just use a hose to spray some water (lightly) into the cabin air intake to clean out all the excess spray build up. Dont worry, the water will drain to the ground, it wont go in the car.

black
    1998 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    I use prima products sometimes for interior stuff, specifically nero to protect paneling and dash surfaces. There there are lots of cleaners out there that will work. Meguiars makes good general purpose cleaners that work great to clean the dash and all the vinyl. And keep in mind, meguiars product lines extend well beyond what you see in walmart or autozone. You wont find most of their professional level products in autozone, etc. As far as the interior goes, remove all of the seats to start, including back seats. Then, with the carpet, you need to vacuum it, then brush it with a stiff bristled brush, vacuum again, and then use an extraction machine to actually clean the carpet. There are many solutions you can use for that. I've used bissel's stuff, and stuff called odo-ban to remove any smell that can be lingering in a car, like smoke, etc. You can use the same solutions on the cloth seats, just make sure everything has time to dry completely before putting it back together. You can also clean out the ventilation system by using a can of ZEP odor eliminator spray or similar. Turn the car on, turn the heater on full blast. Then spray the can into the cabin air intake and let it suck some in. Make sure you switch the heater through the different zones so all of the vents get cleaned out. Then when you're all done just use a hose to spray some water (lightly) into the cabin air intake to clean out all the excess spray build up. Dont worry, the water will drain to the ground, it wont go in the car.
    thank you so much, those all sound great. ive always vaccumed/wiped off/the usual basics, but it never gets that super clean i want. and the cleaning the vent system that way is an awsome idea i never would have thought of for sure. if i can get my garage heated up today (its 20 out here today) i will get on it. btw love your avitar pic, my favorite movie of all times, seen it roughly 65 times so far, classic.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I use Meguiars Interior Restorer for the plastic peices, it had great results on my Jeep. (Trans am gets the standard Meguiars)

For the leather, I use Zanio Bro's 2 step kit, wow did it clean better than any other product at the chain stores.

I pull out the household carpet cleaner for the cars carpets every other year. Keep cleaning till the water comes out clear, and make sure it dries properly.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

+1 for the household carpet cleaner. It picked up old spills from my kids' juice cups and stains from foot traffic in the foot wells. Carpet looks great again. I'm just starting to experiment with leather care. I've only tried Black Magic. The stuff smells nice (not like leather) even a week after I've applied it.

Now I just need to figure out how to clean my convertible top! It's got some mold near the back, and it's dirty in a few spots. Nothing seems to work: vinegar/baking soda, cleaner with bleach, soap and water... It's pretty annoying and nasty lookin'.

Thread Information