Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

nbm
    99 z28

cleaning inner fenders.

I had my car on a lift the other day with the wheels off and noticed how dirty it was. I have used the tire gell before on the front plastic inner fenders and it looked great. I dont know what to do with the rear though. its metal back there and has that textured coating on it. so is there a cleaner degreaser I can use to make it black again or should I just repaint those areas black. things like the spindles and other suspension pieces could use some touching up too. Ive heard of that pore-15 stuff from eastwood I believe. I dont know much about how to use it though. Im thinking of something I could use without having to take stuff off the car.

any ideas what to use and possible prepwork needed would be greatly appreciated.

NBM
    2000 WS6

You're not going to keep the wheel wells of a daily driver black or clean for long.....Clean with a all purpose cleaner like Spray Nine, Purple Cleaner or something there like and a coat of semi gloss black spray paint would be what I'd do.......Keep it touched up with something like Armor All or the like........

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I think painting them would have the best results.

Black
    00 WS6

I used a black bed liner coating on mine and they look pretty good. I did not think paint would hold up very well.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I removed my front wheel well liners this spring and scrubbed them down with WD-40. It dissolved all the tar and accumulated gunk quite nicely. They don't look too bad now. Here are before and after pics, with some additional detailing done to the suspension components and brakes:

The rear wells I scrubbed with a stiff brush and re-applied a spray undercoating. I went just thick enough to cover the existing factory applied coating. Every time I wash the car now, I also scrub the wheel wells and it has stayed clean.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

nice job, jeff! keep her looking dark!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Time to clean up the rear now -- bought some new goodies at the UMI booth on Friday.

Lifes A Garden, Dig It!!! 02convertibleT/A's Avatar

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

This when its dirrty...

http://www.autogeek.net/amazingrolloff.html

then after you clean it with Amazing Roll Off, shine it with this...

http://www.autogeek.net/amazingrolloff.html

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Time to clean up the rear now -- bought some new goodies at the UMI booth on Friday.
    Thats really good.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

I removed my front wheel well liners this spring and scrubbed them down with WD-40. It dissolved all the tar and accumulated gunk quite nicely. They don't look too bad now. Here are before and after pics, with some additional detailing done to the suspension components and brakes:

Click for full size

Click for full size

The rear wells I scrubbed with a stiff brush and re-applied a spray undercoating. I went just thick enough to cover the existing factory applied coating. Every time I wash the car now, I also scrub the wheel wells and it has stayed clean.
    Great job Jeff.
    That's right way to do it. It's tough when you have a wheel blocking your access
    Looks great!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Thats really good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    Great job Jeff.
    That's right way to do it. It's tough when you have a wheel blocking your access
    Looks great!

Thank you! Unfortunately, it will never look as good as Preston's car underneath, but I am trying.

nbm
    99 z28

thanks for the feedback to all. never thought about the spray on bedliner stuff. I'll have to look around the parts store for that cleaner too. unfortunately the air here is getting cold quick so I doubt I'll be able to do much till spring. wont be long and the fastcar will have to go into hibernation.
    winter sucks.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Thank you! Unfortunately, it will never look as good as Preston's car underneath, but I am trying.
    Good luck with that!

2000 Trans Am

Just another question about this, mine doesn't look anything like the picture above before it was cleaned. Mine has a lot of rigid almost bedliner looking stuff on it, some of it is flaking off but most of it is still in tact. Did the person that posted the pix remove that protective coating i guess it is, or is mine just a lot of build up?
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Just another question about this, mine doesn't look anything like the picture above before it was cleaned. Mine has a lot of rigid almost bedliner looking stuff on it, some of it is flaking off but most of it is still in tact. Did the person that posted the pix remove that protective coating i guess it is, or is mine just a lot of build up?

If you are talking the front wheel wells, it simply sounds like someone applied an undercoating. All the wheel well pics I have seen posted on here look like my pictures above. Not sure if there was a dealer applied undercoating option, so chances are it could be the parts store spray bomb stuff.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Nicely done! I've got mine looking pretty much like that. Always helps not having it as a daily driver.

Click for full size

Click for full size

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Always helps not having it as a daily driver.

red
    2002 camaro ss

Get new ones its just plastic

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by camaross1 View Post
    Get new ones its just plastic

Through GMPD, they list for $33.16 each. I am guessing that their shipping charge would be close to $40 -- so it would cost over $100 to replace both wheel well liners... A little elbow grease goes a long way imo.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Through GMPD, they list for $33.16 each. I am guessing that their shipping charge would be close to $40 -- so it would cost over $100 to replace both wheel well liners... A little elbow grease goes a long way imo.
    I think cleaning it and painting them will be just as good as buying a new ones

Try something like Textured Coating Spray Paint
    Any paint store should carry this. Try Napa, Checkers or any autoparts store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information