Black
    2000 Z28

Chips and Spider Cracks...

I apologize if this has been posted before and I did check to see if it has and I didnt see anything specific. I would like to resolve the numerous paint chips, scratchs and spider cracks on my front bumper and rear bumper. The body of my car is pretty much immaculate aside from these imperfections.

I have been told that there are various solutions aside from repainting and I was wondering if anybody has tried them and what the results were.

-Body filling wax of the same color.
    -Chipstick
    -Touch up paint

Any information would be appreciated.

white
    1999 Trans AM 30th anniv.

i run a body shop and dont know of anything except repainting that will fix cracks

red
    1999 WS6

I had the same problem. the bumper has to be sanded down and then re painted with a flex agent. That will hopefully keep the paint from spidering on you

Red
    2000 Trans Am A4

ive got the same issiues with my front bumper and want to get it repainted do you know around how much that would run me?

red
    1999 WS6

I work with painters and they only charged me for paint, so i paid around $150 But any good shop could charge from 250-500 so shop around. What ever you do Make sure you DONT go to macco you'll wish you never touched it

black
    2000 camaro ss+ 1987 GN

Quote Originally Posted by 99 WS6KID
    I work with painters and they only charged me for paint, so i paid around $150 But any good shop could charge from 250-500 so shop around. What ever you do Make sure you DONT go to macco you'll wish you never touched it
    I got a quote of $800.00 to do the front bumper and the hood. Seems like newer cars sure do chip fast, i had a 99GTP black that had 41000 miles and it was geting pretty chipped up and i only drive 5 miles on the highway to work.

Black
    98 Z/28

I had the same things.... Finally gave in and spent the $800 to get the front bumper cover, hood and right front fender painted... Am a happy camper now!!!

hawkman
    If you get the bumper repainted, have them take it off the car. Will cost you a bit more but you will not get any over spray! I know they tape the car off but you could get the over spray. I had mine done and the bumper was taken off.

hawkman
    Go to a body shop that deals mostly with corvetts. They tent to take more time with the car because of the fiberglass and plastic on the car.

Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkman
    If you get the bumper repainted, have them take it off the car. Will cost you a bit more but you will not get any over spray! I know they tape the car off but you could get the over spray. I had mine done and the bumper was taken off.
    How does it look up close? I've been warned that new metallic paints must be blended to match exactly.

My grandpa backed into my Cav & spidered the back bumper a little. The shop said it would be about $800 to paint the back bumper!! I took mine to a friend to have the front bumper & hood painted b/c of the chip's & he charged me $400, it looked alright, but not near what a good shop would do!
    2008 Lincoln MKZ - AWD
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT - Wifes car
    2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP - Sold
    2004 Pontiac GTO M6 - Sold

Thread Information