Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Detailing..

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Car Detailing..

Hey Guys,

My car has unfortunately been sitting under a car cover for the first time ever for this winter but i know that dust and what not can cause small scratches, so this summer i plan on taking it in to be professionally detailed. I decided to take it to auto one.. its a pretty large company and its 150 bucks for their presidential package which includes wash, clay bar, buff, wax, and shampoo..

I figure the price was fair but i wanted to know if anyone has ever used them before and could tell me if auto one did a good job or if i should look elsewhere.

Here is the site: http://www.autooneinc.com/

Thanks for viewing!

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by smkn gts View Post
    Hey Guys,

My car has unfortunately been sitting under a car cover for the first time ever for this winter but i know that dust and what not can cause small scratches, so this summer i plan on taking it in to be professionally detailed. I decided to take it to auto one.. its a pretty large company and its 150 bucks for their presidential package which includes wash, clay bar, buff, wax, and shampoo..
    I figure the price was fair but i wanted to know if anyone has ever used them before and could tell me if auto one did a good job or if i should look elsewhere.

Here is the site: http://www.autooneinc.com/

Thanks for viewing!
    I think for $150.00 to get that kind of work is probably a good deal.
    What you need to ask is about the "buffing" a lot of commercial places like that apply most of their stuff via buffer; glaze, wax, etc...
    Ask them if the "buffing job" is by using a polish to remove defects...

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

okay thank you for the response.. im kind of hesitant because i dont want my paint to get burned or what not but i know the car is going to need it after sitting under that cover all summer.. I am also having the windows tinted all the way around for 200

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Anyone else have any experience with auto one? or another car detailing shop in michigan?

Professional Detailer GoFast908Z's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

Don't skimp on detailing. Stay away from that place, the price is way too low.

Check this forum www.autopia.org. It has a region section that can help you find a REAL professional.

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

i agree 150 seems cheap but being that it is such a large company you would think they do a pretty good job, im not looking for pure perfection i just dont want damage done to my paint. Now you got me scared lol

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

i agree 150 seems cheap but being that it is such a large company you would think they do a pretty good job, im not looking for pure perfection i just dont want damage done to my paint. Now you got me scared lol
    Don't assume a company that appears large does a good job, often with the basic services they've listed quantity is more important to them. Go to someone who can show you specific examples of their work and their experience with a rotary and the other professional grade tools. You don't want some hack burning the edges or leaving holograms all over your car. Trust me....I fix cars that other "detailers" hack up all the time.
    98 Camaro Z28 M6
    LS3 427ci
    521rwhp / 473rwtq

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Little off topic, but a local place here in NC, I took my old Z28 to get it washed and waxed etc etc, they charged me like 75 bucks and took about three hours but i dont know how they did it or what they did but my car looked 110 times better. It was cheap, i took a gamble but worked out in the end.
    Just take a look at some of the other cars they have completed, most places have them lined up in the parking lot for display, or just drive by now and again to take a look, there finished product will speak for its self.
    Sometimes cheap= Good job others not so much...
    J

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Little off topic, but a local place here in NC, I took my old Z28 to get it washed and waxed etc etc, they charged me like 75 bucks and took about three hours but i dont know how they did it or what they did but my car looked 110 times better. It was cheap, i took a gamble but worked out in the end.
    Just take a look at some of the other cars they have completed, most places have them lined up in the parking lot for display, or just drive by now and again to take a look, there finished product will speak for its self.
    Sometimes cheap= Good job others not so much...
    J
    For a wash and wax thats not bad, but if you claying and polishing too... spend more than 150 for sure.

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

These guys offer shampoo, wash, clay bar, and then wax, i know 150 seems cheap but i cant find anyone near me but i will definately take your advice, i really only want the wash, buff, and wax but i gotta find places near me

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

These guys offer shampoo, wash, clay bar, and then wax, i know 150 seems cheap but i cant find anyone near me but i will definately take your advice, i really only want the wash, buff, and wax but i gotta find places near me
    What does "buff" mean to you? They don't offer it in what you posted, and you are wanting to get it done. I think some terminology here is causing confusion.

And the site I gave you should help you find someone near you.

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I am not very familiar with buffing and what not, i know that the car has sat under a car cover all winter and i know the car is getting dull around the front bumper and front quarter panels i need to find someone to polish this up and this package seemed to do just that. I am looking around with google but how much do you figure a job such as this should cost to wash, claybar or buff, and then wax the car?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

I am not very familiar with buffing and what not, i know that the car has sat under a car cover all winter and i know the car is getting dull around the front bumper and front quarter panels i need to find someone to polish this up and this package seemed to do just that. I am looking around with google but how much do you figure a job such as this should cost to wash, claybar or buff, and then wax the car?
    It doesn't seem like you dont know what you want really. You want it buffed, but you're confused on what buffing is. You say you want it buffed and are set on these guys doing it, yet they aren't buffing it.

Maybe this will help:

Buffing: The act of removing defects in paint by way of machine. Also known as polishing. In the detailing world this is called "Paint Correction".

Many people think buffing is waxing, its not.

If you want the car polished to remove swirls and imperfections, be prepared for 300+ for someone who won't hack up your car.

What they listed for 150 is ok, but it is NOT polishing. And even what they listed its still too low, not by a lot, but I sure wouldn't go there. You get what you pay for, and that can be an expensive lesson to learn.

Dude, google is not gonna help you much with this. If you want it done RIGHT, go to the detail site and post what you want done....its really easy. Hell pick any detail forum... If you want to price shop for the cheap service, be prepared to have cheap work done.

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

The car does not have many defects, there is slight dulling and a couple of defects that could be rubbed out, other than that the car needs a good wash and wax just to make it nice and pretty for the summer. I like how the car looks i just want to make it bright and shiny again in the places that have dulled down

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

The car does not have many defects, there is slight dulling and a couple of defects that could be rubbed out, other than that the car needs a good wash and wax just to make it nice and pretty for the summer. I like how the car looks i just want to make it bright and shiny again in the places that have dulled down
    You'd be shocked how often I hear that, and every single customer who says that is stunned when they see it under my lights and realize its not as good as they thought.

But since you just want a little shine out of it, buy yourself some wax and do it yourself and save $150.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

where are you located in michigan? I may have someone to suggest
    2012 Regal GS

2004 Cadillac CTS-V (Sold)
    2001 Camaro SS (Sold)
    1999 Camaro Z28 (Sold)

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

sooooo would a basic wash and wax accomplish the small defects that i would like... the only noticeable mark i see is what looks like a little girls rubber bicycle handle bumped into my front quarter panel and i just can wash it off... Idk what to do im looking at the site and i see a company named deep gloss but their wash and wax package seems good but i feel like its not going to get out these marks!!!!!

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

wayne, mi but i can drive wherever in the wayne county area!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

sooooo would a basic wash and wax accomplish the small defects that i would like... the only noticeable mark i see is what looks like a little girls rubber bicycle handle bumped into my front quarter panel and i just can wash it off... Idk what to do im looking at the site and i see a company named deep gloss but their wash and wax package seems good but i feel like its not going to get out these marks!!!!!

You're gonna have to make up your mind.

Will waxing make the car look better? YES.
    Will waxing remove the defects? NO
    Will waxing remove the bicycle handle mark? Unlikely, but possible for a cleaner wax.

You went to autopia but couldn't find the regional section? Did you look? All you have to do is scroll down...

Here is a direct link..

http://www.autopia.org/forum/midwest-usa/

There's even a thread about Michigan members dude.

It sounds like you're having a hard time between just a wax and a detail. If you want just some shine, just wax it. If you want those problems REMOVED, it has to be polished...thats all there is too it.

Bottom line, you aren't willing to pay for polishing it seems, so save yourself the $150 on this place and just wax it yourself, and you'll learn during the process.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

dang i was hoping you lived in the Southwestern MI area...I know a guy that does an awesome job for a really good price...he's the best in the area

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information