Red
    1998 SS

xm radio antena.........

if you have it, where did you put your xm radio antena????????

and for those of you who dont, but have good ideas on how to mount, the antena comes with a magnet on it, idealy to just attach to the roof of your car, but being the ours is made of fiberglass????, it wount stay....and i dont want to glue it or drill.

any ideas will help, thanks
    98SS A4, TSP CLR LID, LS6 INTAKE, BMR SFC/STB/ LWR CNTRL & TRQ ARMS, KYB ADJ., HOTCHKINS SWAY BARS, MSD WIRES, JETHOT LT/ORY, MAGNAFLO CATBACK, EIBACH PROKIT, 19" TSW WHEELS, PERMA COOL TRANY COOLER.

257.8 hp (MUSTANG-DYNO) b4 ANY MODS.
    13.6 1/4 mile

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Man the guys here at Year One put them on the dash. They are small, black, square, and not very tall. THey mount them on the passenger side of the dash right next to the windshield and the a pillar. Not very noticable. You could use velcro to mount it. It picks up great and you don't have to worry about it.

1999 Camaro SS #24
    98 Corvette-99 Camaro SS

I ran my wire up the driver's side a pillar across the headliner and put the wire in with the bundle going to the mirror then just set the antenna on the arm of the mirror. Really unnoticeable and I haven't had any reception problems!!! Good luck!
    -Will

'99 Camaro SS SLP#24 -- Not as Slow and Still As Pretty

Red
    1998 SS

thanks guys, ill give both a try to see wich one i like better

1999 Chevy Camaro

Not a XM owner, but a Sirius owner. Virt. the same setup.

Heres what I did. I ran a 16ft. cable from my dash all the way to my trunk. Then I used some velcro on the antenna and velcroed it to the plastic rear panel. Not noticable at all and it's out of the way . No problems on reception.

Rob

Blue
    99 Z28

I'll post my pix soon

Blue
    99 Z28

I perfer the stealth antenna install method. I believe I found it on this board. Here's the pix of my install. It should be self explanatory, but ask if you have any questions. Basically i hid my antenna in my deck lid under my spoiler. Fiberglass does have it's advantages, such as being pretty much invisible to the antenna.
    members.cox.net/arehm/100_8016.jpg
    My Stereo
    members.cox.net/arehm/100_8022.jpg
    A close up of my aux in for the XM
    members.cox.net/arehm/100_8027.jpg
    The antenna location.

I can't post pix yet. Not enough posts

nufkts
    I just installed a pioneer dvd/navigation system in my TA. It is also XM ready, with the slope of the windshield being 20% you can safely hide it under the dash with no reception problems what so ever, and it is completly hidden. Pull the main dash and there are 2 speaker mounts that are not used by GM anymore, the antannea are magnetic so they stick perfectly there. No unsightly XM antannae to be seen it is hidden^^ just thought I would help for those of you like me who dont like extra things being seen that don't need to be seen. Hope this helps. 1 more note the dash being plastic will not interfere with reception either^^

1999 Camaro SS #24
    98 Corvette-99 Camaro SS

All great ideas!!!! I really like the stealth mounts!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nufkts
    I just installed a pioneer dvd/navigation system in my TA. It is also XM ready, with the slope of the windshield being 20% you can safely hide it under the dash with no reception problems what so ever, and it is completly hidden. Pull the main dash and there are 2 speaker mounts that are not used by GM anymore, the antannea are magnetic so they stick perfectly there. No unsightly XM antannae to be seen it is hidden^^ just thought I would help for those of you like me who dont like extra things being seen that don't need to be seen. Hope this helps. 1 more note the dash being plastic will not interfere with reception either^^
    It will interfere in VERY low signal situations......but by then you'll prob loose it anyway.

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

my antenna just chills on that back shelf behind the rear seat. no reception problems at all. also, that way its not permanantly mounted and i can just slide it down between the seat the the back and its out of the way.

nufkts
    Actually I have had no reception problems with it mounted there. As a matter of fact I get signal in my garage with the door down. There is nothing to interfere with it in anyway. Only time I have lost signal was at my bank under the awning, and that is a bonus cause it is like auto mute.

phoenix99ta
    I installed mine inside of the rear wing on my T/A... it was easy and being made of fiberglass ... it sees right through it...just run the wire the same route as the 3rd brake light and double face tape it about 1/3rd the distance from the brakelight and the end
    joe

JHenley17
    The roof is fiberglass? I guess the t-tops are made slightly different, or mine it just attaching itself to a steel support... come to think of it, it's not on there very firmly. Anyways, I have t-tops... I just ran the wire behind the weather stripping up the b-pillar and out to the drain area for the tops to the center, then out to where the antenna sits between the glass tops and the rear hatch.

So is that area fiberglass or what? I always thought it was metal and the antenna just had a weak magnet, because it does pull slightly, but I assume there's a metal frame underneath if it is fiberglass... I feel kind of stupid...

Phantom Black Metallic
    2005 GTO

thats pretty interesting. I guess with that huge rear hatch glass that location on the side panel would work pretty well.

pbogdanoZ28

Cool

ive got T's and I ran mine up the pass pillar under the headliner through the dome light assemlbly then went out through the hatch and used 150 mph velcro and attached it to the glass on the outside. ive hit it with the powerwasher no leaks.... will have to see how it goes.

i have virtually no drop outs anymore.

Black
    1995 Firebird

I am pretty sure the roll bar and the center T bar both have metal frames. I can't find it right now, but there was a site where a guy was installing t-tops on his camaro (that came without them) Once he cut out each t-top, you could see the metal in between them.

Navy Blue
    2000 Firebird

I ran my XM antenna through the back hatch on the passenger side and placed it right next to the rear panel next to the exterior antenna. Apparently theres metal near the antenna. This has been working fine for me for 6 months. Never moves.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

The F-bodies have a space frame of steel which is covered by the fiberglass exterior panels that you see.The only external panels that are steel are the hood and the rear quarter panels(fenders).I've been told by a guy with a no-t-top car that installed his own sunroof that there is a significant difference between the roof panels(with or w/o t-tops).The t-top car has steel reinforcements running down the middle of the top-and the solid roof has steel reinforcement running down both sides above the door windows(w/no rib running down the middle).I was kinda surprised by this but it's true-I at the time owned a no-t-top car myself,the headliner looks like there is a rib running down the middle of it,but it's not there.Anyway there is steel frame under all that fiberglass if you go to the right places-and I personally witnessed a t-top car barrel roll three times and wind up on it's roof and stay intact.I really like all the ideas for the antennae mounting-never would have thought of them.

nice

Thread Information