Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

write up: How to replace the stock subs with eu700s

Elemental Design's eu 700 6.5" sub woofers; these woofers will adequetly replace the stock subs, and have proven to be a great solution for those looking for big sound with rich lows out of the stock set up and those not intrested in the extra weight of big subs in the hatch.

I wish i shot photos through the whole job. For this, you will need;
    _ 2, eu700 dual 4 ohm speakers
    _ Speaker wire
    _ Sound deadener [2, 12x12 sheets]
    _ 1/4" thick foam core and xActo knife
    _ 8, self driving steel screws, about 1.5" long
    _ power drill
    _ fbody wiring diagram http://www.thirdshiftstudios.com/monsoon.zip

Step 1, purchase the dual-4ohm eu700's

step 2, remove stock monsoons and throw them at zboner (don't worry about keeping the screws or the little clips that the screws hold on to.) I suggest keepin the little wireing harness.

step 3A, cover the area with sound deadener and cut out a whole where the speaker goes.

step 3B, the eu700s are free air speakers that have a port in the back of them. The port needs to breathe freely or they won't be able to perform. I suggest cutting out a hole in the B-pillar support using a 1.5" bit. This picture marks where to cut:
    Click for full size

Step 4, the eu700s are very DEEP speakers and will need a spacer to pull them away from the support beam that goes through the B-pilar. Use this diagram to cut out a hole from a 9.25" square of 1/4" foam core
    Click for full size

Step 5A, using the wiring diagram that you downloaded, find the positive line for the Left side. Using exta wire, splice the 2 positive terminals together and into the positive line. Now splice the 2 negative terminals together and into the negative line. See the diagram for more help:

Step 5B, repeat for right side. please note: each speaker line will have 2 unused wires, clip them and wrap them with electrical tape so they never contact anything else I don't know what these lead from, but per the wiring diagram, they aren't relevant to powering the speaker.

Step 6, Slide the foam core into place, you might have to pull on the interior panel to allow you access. Make sure the wiring harness is behind the foam core and sets in the little grove at the bottom. Note: the foam will have to be bent/crinked slightly to accomedate the "terrain" of the vehicle's speaker housing

Step 7, CAREFULLY maneuver the speaker into place. Now using the self-driving 1.5" screws, drill the speaker into place until they are firm.

Note: you may have to cut a tab from the bottom of the grill anchors on the interior panel so that it does not rest on the bottom of the speaker's lip.

feel free to contact me regarding anything. I was EXTREMELY pleased with the sound that resulted from this installation. The grills DO NOT rattle as i feared wich was even more pleasing.
    Last edited by Sarge; 11-29-2007 at 05:50 AM.

Custom Car Emblems
    from third_shift|studios
    Pittsburgh Car Detailing & Paint Protection from ts|s detailing
    jaison tortorea

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

wow, thanks mad!

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Can you elaborate on the 1/4" foam core? Will MDF work just fine, and what about the new EU-700 replacement, the 7Kv.2? It's only 3.5" deep...

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...products_id=33

I am considering selling my EU-700s, or making a boombox or something...

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Can you elaborate on the 1/4" foam core? Will MDF work just fine, and what about the new EU-700 replacement, the 7Kv.2? It's only 3.5" deep...

still need at least a 1/4" spacer...MDF is fine - be sure to use sound deadener, and even some caulk that remains permanently flexible under the MDF spacer.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

I actually found this site because someone linked me to the eu700 write up here after I made mine - I'm going to link mine, only because there is a LOT of extra information in there from peoples replies that could be useful. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639901

Original poster/mods: feel free to delete this post if desired.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post

i used the foam core to lift the speaker off the metal enclosure. The foamcore is semi plyable and I knew once I anchored the sub to it, would basically seal it nice and tight. If you look at the metal area the current sub sits on, it's very "bumpy" and the foam core just did a nice job adhearing to those bumps. Fredmr85, thanks for the link to "another way" of doing it. I wanted to go that direction, but didn't have a jigsaw to cut the MDF

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    i used the foam core to lift the speaker off the metal enclosure. The foamcore is semi plyable and I knew once I anchored the sub to it, would basically seal it nice and tight. If you look at the metal area the current sub sits on, it's very "bumpy" and the foam core just did a nice job adhearing to those bumps. Fredmr85, thanks for the link to "another way" of doing it. I wanted to go that direction, but didn't have a jigsaw to cut the MDF
    I actually wanted something pliable due to the terrain and didn't read this till later though! -the writeup in my link is worthless; but just the replies I got have good info and opinions because a lot of people went out and bought them, and reported their opinions which I felt was valuable since I couldn't find a lot of feedback on these anywhere else.

Black
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

where do i get that foam seal and also where to find the sound denser. How much $ thanks

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by pipes_ta View Post
    where do i get that foam seal and also where to find the sound denser. How much $ thanks
    There are many brands of sound deadener - the most well-known is Dynamat -- you can get it online from places like SonicElectronix.com or from a local Circuit City, etc. If you aren't ordering much, it probably won't come out cheaper online with shipping. Elemental Designs makes a similar product on their pages as well cheaper if you go with that and have it shipped out with the eu700s if you go for them. Either way, cost will be $8-15 for the amount you would want.

Foam core can be purchased online, from almost any hobby shop, and from some hardware stores. If you go to a Home Depot in the building materials dept, you will find a variety of foam materials that will work just as well -- or you could always purchase some 1/2" MDF.

Black

what is MDF and how much

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

probably wouldn't spend over $15 in MDF.

MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) is a hardboard product made up of of hot compressed wood fibers glued together. 3/4" MDF is commonly used for constructing subwoofer boxes. 1/2" MDF is all you would need for this application.

Black

do i need caulk for the foam and if so what kind of caulk

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by pipes_ta View Post
    do i need caulk for the foam and if so what kind of caulk
    I would not use it with the foam -- I simply used it as some sort of additional dampener between the sheet metal and wood; foam/dynamat will be plenty. But FYI, it is a polyurethane caulk that remains flexible permanently.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

no caulk, once you anchor in the screws, it's all set in place.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Formula

I assume that when selecting the Voice coil you select D4? I assume that means Dual 4ohm. I think I'm going to order a set of these speakers.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Z28 View Post
    I assume that when selecting the Voice coil you select D4? I assume that means Dual 4ohm. I think I'm going to order a set of these speakers.
    Correct -- you want Dual 4 ohm voice coils (thats two voice coils each with an impedance of 4 ohms) for both the Camaro AND Firebird models since camaros have SVC 2 ohm voice coils (wire D4 in parallel for 2 homs) and Firebirds have dual 4 ohm voice coils in the first place (wire as factory).

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

I replaced mine with Alpine Type-R's and powered them with a 100 watt 2 channel amp. Sounds great, and I used to have a 12. All that weight made a big difference, back end of the car breaks loose much easier now and it just feels faster.

white
    98 Ram air T/A Ls1/T-56

this is great info the only question I have is where do you get the speakers from I cant find anyone who sells them. thanks

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information