Thread: Wiring

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Wiring

I'm trying to install an ignition killswitch on my car. I just want an ignition one instead of trying to run a wire from elsewhere and just keep it simple, besides the knee panel required enough work to get off I highly doubt a would be thief would have the time to take it off. Anyways, coming out of the steering column there are several wires coming out. Which one hooks up to the ignition? There are two groups of wires that have like 8 bonded together. So two sets, each set has multiple wires all flat and joined. Then there is my airbag wire. Then there is a thick purplish/grey wire, an orange wire, and like a double wire, one that has two joined. Does anybody know which one I'm looking for?

Red
    1999 Trans Am

i think it is the purple wire going into the steering column cause its 10 gauge, but I don't want to cut the wrong wire, anybody know cause the schematics are confusing and my head is hurting from trying to figure this out

white
    01 formula

do have the schematics ? could you send them to me in an email or just post a good pic of them on here and i can probly help .

Red
    1999 Trans Am

i have the schematics and they're saying that it should be a yellow wire, but there is no yellow wire

Red
    1999 Trans Am

i ended up just saying to h*ll with the ignition and i just ran the kill of the clutch start switch. it works perfect and now i just got to mount my toggle real sneaky

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

That is an even better solution.

white
    01 formula

thats what i did with my fiero! ha it works well except when your gf cant figure it out. you could mount your switch in the center console under the lid like i did for my amp switch . thats useually the last place theyll look when in a hurry to start your car , there like wtf wheres it at ?? and all th time its under their friggin arm lol

Red
    1999 Trans Am

i quit smokin a while back so i pulled out the ashtray and just put it in there. also finally got rid of that obnoxious ashtray light, finally! if someone hops in to steal it, they'll be like WTF. except its right under their arm in the ashtray, and can't be seen really unless you put a light on it cause i put it down low in there. its funny that you mention the gf not starting it, cause I visited my dad yesterday and he had to move the car to get the b-ball goal out of the garage, and he came back in w/ this real sad look on his face to tell me my car wasn't starting and i was going to have to fix it or tow it. so i flipped the switch and moved it myself. he was bummed cause he wanted to take my car for a spin (he helps w/ insurance) and he drives a 530i and likes my car so much more, and his cost 5x more.
    Last edited by jenashclem; 05-03-2009 at 07:47 PM.

Thread Information