Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Window Problems...

Finally decided to dig into why the front of my drivers side window is sinking a little bit...

the design flaw has officially bit me...it looks like somebody "probably the previous owner" attempted to put some bolts in place of the rivets but its not doing a great job of holding the weight...probably because they used little bolts with no support...............................any ideas on how I can tackle this? I was thinking about getting some giant washers to offset the weight and spread it out more, but Im not sure that will work long term...they are hanging on by a thread right now. also, if I remove those two bolts that are tearing away the fiberglass, is my window going to fall?

Thanks...

Black / White

if those two bolts fall out, is my window going to fall? also...if I remove them to try and fix the problem is the window going to fall?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Yes!! you need to support the window. I used a 2x4 cut to length to hold it up.

The washer's might work and I've seen some guys use a thin piece of sheet metal on both sides to sandwich the fiberglass and rivet it together to support it.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Yes!! you need to support the window. I used a 2x4 cut to length to hold it up.

The washer's might work and I've seen some guys use a thin piece of sheet metal on both sides to sandwich the fiberglass and rivet it together to support it.
    cool. thanks for answering the window fall question...now, question 2...

I can support the window with a 2x4 "no big deal" but how do you recommend getting the regulator back up to where it should be since its sagging? I lifted the window glass with my hand from inside the door and the bolts moved up maybe 1/4 of an inch, but they are about an inch off from where they should be as they sit right now...any ideas? I could always use the 2x4 to get the glass higher than when I pulled on it...
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Navy Blue Metallic

That's were the large washer or sheet metal plate will be needed to support it. With the plate you may need to make it large enough to index it off of something that can help line it up and drill for correct bolt location & size.

I do not envy you. not an easy fix.

Black / White

That's were the large washer or sheet metal plate will be needed to support it. With the plate you may need to make it large enough to index it off of something that can help line it up and drill for correct bolt location & size.

I do not envy you. not an easy fix.
    when it comes to the metal plate, I know where the holes need to be...I just need help figuring out how I can get the entire mechanism lifted to where it should be in the door so I can put the nuts and bolts in it correctly...not sure how to go about doing that. I've got a full print out of the plate I need to make...found it on good ole google, but I have no idea how to get the window and the regulator lifted up about an inch so i can bolt everything back down.

Navy Blue Metallic

I would remove the window to lessen the weight. May take 2 ppl to do this.

Black / White

I would remove the window to lessen the weight. May take 2 ppl to do this.
    sounds like its going to be a 2 man job...I was really trying to avoid removing the glass. F*ck my life...

Navy Blue Metallic

nothing good is ever easy....

Metallic Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6

i went to a hardware store and bought 2 inch panel washers and new bolts with locking nuts and took me about 5 minutes and it solved my probem!

to get the bolts in where they needed to be i either raised or lowered the window until it pulled the mount into the right spot and then added the washer and nut and boom problem solved one of the bolts is hard to get to so with the easier on i just tightened the crap outta it and then raised or lowered the window to gain access to the other one!
    Last edited by Sadie2; 04-14-2014 at 09:21 AM.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by Sadie2 View Post
    i went to a hardware store and bought 2 inch panel washers and new bolts with locking nuts and took me about 5 minutes and it solved my probem!

to get the bolts in where they needed to be i either raised or lowered the window until it pulled the mount into the right spot and then added the washer and nut and boom problem solved one of the bolts is hard to get to so with the easier on i just tightened the crap outta it and then raised or lowered the window to gain access to the other one!
    im guessing you did washers on both sides of the fiberglass?

I might do this first and see how it goes before I start cutting out sheets of metal...

Black / White

nothing good is ever easy....
    I was REALLY hoping it was the wheel that you had an issue with...stuck my hand back there and its snug as hell lol no cracks and no bending...would have much rather it been that thing.

Navy Blue Metallic

I've never understood why gm does this with window mounts and fiberglass. A piece of aluminum can't weigh that much.

Black / White

I've never understood why gm does this with window mounts and fiberglass. A piece of aluminum can't weigh that much.
    I agree...and so do thousands of other people. No telling how many pages I read about this particular issue and all the different ways that people have fixed it...one of the 6LE guys used zip ties years ago and its still holding up today lol

I actually went to the 6LE site and Hawks to see if they already had something fabbed up for this, but they didnt.

Metallic Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    im guessing you did washers on both sides of the fiberglass?

I might do this first and see how it goes before I start cutting out sheets of metal...
    no i just used one washer on the outside.

Thread Information