torrid red/red interior
    2005 GTO 6spd

where is sub on 2005 gto?

I just wanted to know where and what size the sub is---thanks in advance

There are 2, and they are in the rear deck. They are actually a 7", but a few folks on other GTO boards have been able to fit 8" in there with success. They are quite shallow, so only a few will work. Seems like JL Audio kinda comes to mind, but I don't remember specifically. Hope this helps.

torrid red/red interior
    2005 GTO 6spd

7" huh thats wierd---good to know you can shoehorn in a pair of shallow 8"---i'll check with crutchfield---thanks

just a suggestion....

But, I was able to get decent sound out of mine by turning up the gain on the amp, its kinda stuffed into that little lip on the left side of the trunk(or boot, as the Aussies call it). You have to remove the carpet to get to it, but it is a really easy upgrade to do. Just don't turn it up to much, or will start shutting down from the heat.

torrid red/red interior
    2005 GTO 6spd

Quote Originally Posted by simpy
    But, I was able to get decent sound out of mine by turning up the gain on the amp, its kinda stuffed into that little lip on the left side of the trunk(or boot, as the Aussies call it). You have to remove the carpet to get to it, but it is a really easy upgrade to do. Just don't turn it up to much, or will start shutting down from the heat.
    cool an adjustable factory amp---had my 199 t/a for 5 years and never did find the amp on it---everyone said it was kinda above or in front of spare tire well---i guess if i looked hard enough i coulda found it---but the amp in the goat sounds like it should be a bit easier to find---gotta pop out those plastic rivets everywhere to get carpet out---right?

Yep, if i remember right, that's exactly it. Actually, you can access it without removing completely, just the part that is closer to the cubby area. I had an 04, I am assuming everything is still the same.

torrid red/red interior
    2005 GTO 6spd

yup it's the same in the trunk---thanks simpy

Quicksilver
    2004 VZ Monaro

The subs in the back of the GTO/Monaro are actually 6" free airs. They are a paper sub that will blow easily if you drive them too hard but they work better with a decent amp. The existing amp is in the left hand side of the boot (trunk) behind a metal panel. I tried to get a set of JL Audio 8W0 in but without nibbling out the rear deck or making a custom plate to install them - which looks crap IMO - I ended up sticking with the originals for a while. I now have a 12.1 Kappa in a 1cuft sub enclosure. I have a switch box setup so I can remove the sub box and go back to the originals when I need to carry something around.

If you want to see some detail on the setup look here.

Thread Information