Pewter
    '02 WS6

Where to connect remote wire on amp???

Right now, I've got 2 10's with an audiobahn amp. The remote wire is just connected to a switch by the tcs. I'm tired of having to flip the switch off and on all the time, and also, if I forget to turn it off, it'll eat my battery. How can I hook up the remote wire to turn on and off with the radio (or even just when I turn my car on and off)??? I was hoping for something pretty simple since I'll be doing it myself. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

If you have an aftermarket HU, there should be a remote turn on from the harness (usually blue).

If you have the factory HU, look for the power antenna wire (pink), and use that -- it will turn on and off with the HU.

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

And if you dont have that (which you more than likely will), run it to the NEGATIVE side of the Accessory fuse in your fusebox.

To do this, pull out the ACC fuse, then take a mulitmeter and ground it out to the chassis somewhere, then touch the positive test lead to each side of where the fuse went(where the fuse poles went) and turn the car on to see if there is voltage, if you find the side where there is NOT voltage, then your in good shape, What I did was wrap the wire around the fuse pole that plugs into the negative side...hadn't had a problem since .

Pewter
    '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by brodband View Post
    And if you dont have that (which you more than likely will), run it to the NEGATIVE side of the Accessory fuse in your fusebox.

To do this, pull out the ACC fuse, then take a mulitmeter and ground it out to the chassis somewhere, then touch the positive test lead to each side of where the fuse went(where the fuse poles went) and turn the car on to see if there is voltage, if you find the side where there is NOT voltage, then your in good shape, What I did was wrap the wire around the fuse pole that plugs into the negative side...hadn't had a problem since .
    I don't even know what a multimeter is. Can I do without? Also, you mean you wound it around the actual fuse, then put the fuse back in?

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by watson023 View Post
    I don't even know what a multimeter is. Can I do without? Also, you mean you wound it around the actual fuse, then put the fuse back in?
    I would refer to my post first; then follow his instructions. The only reason you would need to do that is if you have a really cheap aftermark HU without remote turn on signals. Let us know what HU model (if aftermarket) you have, if you have the stock Delco/Monsoon HU -- then you are automatically fine.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I put my signal wire for my amp for my 2 10" subs on the 1 amp fuse for the RAP fuse. You can get a thing that slips on the back of the fuse spade as you install the fuse and it gives you a terminal to attach the female spade terminal to. That way whenever I have RAP then my amp is powered also. Any auto parts place should have this.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    That way whenever I have RAP then my amp is powered also.
    Remote wires (pink factory, blue aftermarket) will do that anyway since the radio is RAP controlled....cleaner install, and more straightforward.

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Quote Originally Posted by fredmr85 View Post
    I would refer to my post first; then follow his instructions. The only reason you would need to do that is if you have a really cheap aftermark HU without remote turn on signals. Let us know what HU model (if aftermarket) you have, if you have the stock Delco/Monsoon HU -- then you are automatically fine.
    Ditto on that

Pewter
    '02 WS6

I've still got the factory head unit in, so I'll check it out when I get the chance. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by fredmr85 View Post
    Remote wires (pink factory, blue aftermarket) will do that anyway since the radio is RAP controlled....cleaner install, and more straightforward.
    So, do you need to remove the factory HU to access the pink wire? Or do you get the pink wire back near the antenna? I ran my remote wire along my B+ until they separated near the fuse box. Maybe I could've accessed the remote at the antenna on the right quarter panel area!

Black
    02 SS #8850

Anyone know if Camaros have the antenna wire already run in the back near the amp?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

IDK for sure. Possible tho, since the cars are twins. It would make sense from a wiring perspective for GM.

Black
    02 SS #8850

I didn't see it back there... I'll run a wire from the radio if I need to to get this turn-on signal.

How do you guys usually turn your aftermarket amps on?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I hooked up mine as explained above. Using a DVOM or test light, find a fuse that only has power on accessory and ignition on. Not a fuse that has power at all times.

Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Remote wire on the back of the HU. You want it to only come on with switched power or you will come out to a dead battery. You also want to make sure it's putting out enough voltage to actually run the amp. The switched wire is typically blue. I suggest a wire tap or solder. Do not use the switched power to the amp located in the rear of the car. That does not have enough voltage to run and amp. The moment you put a decent amount of power to it, it will shut the amp down. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

The switched power is typically the yellow wire on aftermarket HU's. Don't use the orange, your turn signals will stay on.

Thread Information