• Infinity 62.7i's

19 61.29%
  • Infinity 63.7i's (3-way)

12 38.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

What speakers to put in the doors?

I want to upgrade my speakers in the doors. I've heard good things about the Infinity's. Should I go with the 62.7i's for $90(total)....or upgrade the 3-way 63.7i's for $105(total). My monsoon stereo is stock including the HU, and I plan to keep it that way for now.

Adios and vaya con dios ZAPFOOL!!'s Avatar

Victory Red
    2002 Corvette Z06

I vote for the 3-way speakers and I am the only vote, finally I am a majority

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

I prefer 2-ways. I see no point in having what amounts to multiple tweeters in front of the mid-woofer. A single tweeter and a mid-woofer is all that is needed to cover the audible spectrum from mid-bass to treble. If you like your highs to be able to etch glass then by all means go with 3-ways or even 4-ways for that matter.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

Black
    99 Z28

Ditto the white rascal for me.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

62.7i's

texas_nightowl
    Well, I just voted for the 62.7i since I just ordered those to put in my front doors! I have a 2000 Camaro w/Monsoon audio and the speaker in my passenger door needs replacing.

Black
    2001 SS

Go with the 2 ways. I just installed them last week and they sound great. You won't be disappointed. Just wire them up like factory. You don't need the crossovers either.

onyx black
    1999 formula firebird

i think im going to do my whole formula in JL audio..

Black, Red, Silver Jade
    00 WS6,95 Ta, 69 R code

how do the 62.7i's hold up if you have an aftermarket amp (Rockford 600a)
    2007 Yukon XL (sold)
    2014 Z71 LTZ 3LZ (sold)
    2010 Escalade Platinum AWD , 6.2
    2017 Silverado HC , 4x4, 6.2

2000 WS6 ASC#2300 Holly LS6 intake, TR Custom grind cam, Mac Mids w/ ORY,Hotchkis LCA's, PHB, BMR Extreme STB, BMR re-location brackets,Eibach Sportlines, GMMG, Mccleod Pro 5.0, SLP SFC's, OEM ZO6 wheels
    1995 TA
    1969 R code Mach I my new project

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

well i just ordered some 62.7i s so I hope they are the best choice!

2000 Corvette

I'd go with the two ways. Three ways start getting too harsh for me.

2000 Camaro Z28

Are the stock door speakers 2 ohm??

2002 Z28

Yes they are 2ohm, the Infinity 62.7i and 63.7i is 2ohm also. I did a set of pictures when I did the 62.7i in mine, also the crossover isn't needed for the tweeter, it has one built in. For all the pictures of the install I put them on cardomain, here is a link if anyones interested. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/659714/4
    Last edited by rotwiler; 01-29-2006 at 03:56 PM.

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

As about 3 way not needed since you have the tweeter there also

vote for 2 way

-00BlueTA

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6

YAY lets all conform and all buy infinty's!!... I hate to break it to ya all, but contrary to what many believe, infinity are not what they used to be... They used to be great speakers, but now they are just commercialized everyday brand. I personally think that Boston Acoustics are the best you can buy for the money most people are willing to spend. I picked up a set of SX65's on eBay for $110 shipped brand new, and they sound 50x better than any comprable infinity's, or even higher priced ones. But do what you want its your system not mine, I just think that no one is willing to try anything else than infinty 62.7's anymore because thats what everyone has...

On another note...

Texas nightowl - I'm not sure how the monsoon system works in the camaro's, but in my Trans Am it was components in the doors, and because the monsoon system has its own amplifiers with crossovers in them, the amps send different frequencies to the woofer and the tweeter, so when you replace a door speaker with a 2-way speaker you need to rewire it bypassing the amp if you want the full range of soudn that the speaker will offer.

black
    2000 ss

bass?

what do u guys recommend for the bass speakers located in the middle of the car in a camaro 01?

2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by sk8runeg
    YAY lets all conform and all buy infinty's!!... I hate to break it to ya all, but contrary to what many believe, infinity are not what they used to be... They used to be great speakers, but now they are just commercialized everyday brand. I personally think that Boston Acoustics are the best you can buy for the money most people are willing to spend. I picked up a set of SX65's on eBay for $110 shipped brand new, and they sound 50x better than any comprable infinity's, or even higher priced ones. But do what you want its your system not mine, I just think that no one is willing to try anything else than infinty 62.7's anymore because thats what everyone has...

On another note...

Texas nightowl - I'm not sure how the monsoon system works in the camaro's, but in my Trans Am it was components in the doors, and because the monsoon system has its own amplifiers with crossovers in them, the amps send different frequencies to the woofer and the tweeter, so when you replace a door speaker with a 2-way speaker you need to rewire it bypassing the amp if you want the full range of soudn that the speaker will offer.
    It's not about conforming to Infinity and they are not by far the best speaker. They are the ONLY known speaker that is a 2ohm direct replacement for the Camaro if you are keeping the Monsoon amp that sounds good and fits like stock and connects like stock.

The Camaro and T/A door speakers are simular, woofer is 2ohm crossed over at the Monsoon amp and tweeter runs off the HU at 4ohms and are not crossed over, the tweeter has it's own crossover and is not amplified by the Monsoon amp(the T/A is components, the Camaro has a coaxil that is like a component with tweeter mounted, but still has seperate inputs, not a single one). The whole reason the Infinity IS SO GOOD, is because it has dual inputs(1 set for the woofer and 1 set for the tweeter) it can be used in the Camaro or T/A and are set up identical to stock on the Camaro, with the T/A you would just have to connect the stock tweeter wire to the Tweeter inputs on the speaker.

I don't think you are understanding the post, the Infinity is for people who want to keep the Monsoon system like it is and only replace the front door speaker. Sounds like you replaced the amp too, which is not relevant to this post.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Brown truck just dropped off the Infinity 62.7i's -be putting them in later.Guess that makes me a conformist-hehe.Yeah,I'm just replacing the door speakers cause I blew one out -not looking to change anything with the rest of the system right now.$86.35 for the speakers-$103.76 w/shipping and handling.

2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    Brown truck just dropped off the Infinity 62.7i's -be putting them in later.Guess that makes me a conformist-hehe.Yeah,I'm just replacing the door speakers cause I blew one out -not looking to change anything with the rest of the system right now.$86.35 for the speakers-$103.76 w/shipping and handling.
    You don't need to use the crossover that comes with the 62.7i, the tweeter has one on it. Makes it easier, on the first door I put the crossover and was pain to find a place and get it to stay. LMK how it turns out.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

yeah-just wired up w/o the crossover per previous instructions-couldn't have been easier to mount the speakers.Now the door panels are kinda a PITA but with a screwdriver and a flashlight I was able to see and push up the hooks that hold it in at the bottom.I'll wait until they break in a little more before passing final opinion on the sound-so far they sound great-keeping the volume low at first.Is there any problem w/keeping the stock speaker in the other side for now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information