Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar

what size speakers monsoon

what are all the sizes of speakers for the monsoon cause im replacing them all. is it 6.5, then 4inch, then 6.5 in the rear hatch?? or 6.5 inch all around??

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

I think the sail panels are 6.5 and the back are 4. Not sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    I think the sail panels are 6.5 and the back are 4. Not sure though.
    soo the ones in the rear hatch are 4inchs? and the ones in the back seat are 6.5? but the ones in the door are still 6.5? which ones do you mean by sail speakers? lol my bad my knowledge is garbage when it comes to speakers
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

I'm pretty sure the sail panel speakers (ones by your head in the back seat) are 6.5 because thats what the 7kv.2s are, which is what people usually put there (theres a sticky in this section). I could have sworn that there are 4" speakers and there not the ones in the doors, so I'm pretty sure its the hatch speakers. The doors are 6" I think.

Bright Red
    99 Z28 M6, 03 Gixxer 1000

If you are talking about the GTO, I think they are all 6.5". Front door, rear deck, and rear seat side panels.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Hes referring to a Camaro.

Bright Red

Ok, yeah, it is 6.5" in the front doors and rear sail panels (the ones right beside where the rear passenger would sit) and 4" in the hatch. Are you going to replace the head unit also? If you are not going to there are some issues with the frequencies that get sent to each set of speakers. There are treads on here that cover it.

I'm pretty sure the sail panel speakers (ones by your head in the back seat) are 6.5 because thats what the 7kv.2s are, which is what people usually put there (theres a sticky in this section). I could have sworn that there are 4" speakers and there not the ones in the doors, so I'm pretty sure its the hatch speakers. The doors are 6" I think.
    thanks man!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dparsons1968 View Post
    Ok, yeah, it is 6.5" in the front doors and rear sail panels (the ones right beside where the rear passenger would sit) and 4" in the hatch. Are you going to replace the head unit also? If you are not going to there are some issues with the frequencies that get sent to each set of speakers. There are treads on here that cover it.
    ok so if your positive im gonna prob buy em tomorrow..and what type/sort/ nature of frequency problems would i be facing? is it an easy cheap fix? the dude at best buy, which im sure his knowledge is minimal, said i wouldnt have any problems w the stock head unit and aftermarket speakers. i dddef dont wanna spend more than i have to but like i said, minimal knowledge,lol..also i was goin to go with infinitys all around is that a good idea?

Bright Red

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke View Post
    thanks man!!

ok so if your positive im gonna prob buy em tomorrow..and what type/sort/ nature of frequency problems would i be facing? is it an easy cheap fix? the dude at best buy, which im sure his knowledge is minimal, said i wouldnt have any problems w the stock head unit and aftermarket speakers. i dddef dont wanna spend more than i have to but like i said, minimal knowledge,lol..also i was goin to go with infinitys all around is that a good idea?
    Here is what I know from reading what other people have written...the two 6.5 speakers in the sail panels only get lower subwoofer frequencies sent to them from the Monsoon amplifier. If you buy a full range speaker, like an Infinity (which is a good mid grade speaker if that is what you want to go with), that is designed to reproduce the entire frequency range... they will not play any of the mid-range or high notes. I also know that the ohm rating is different between the front and rear speakers. After reading all of that, I decided to just replace my entire system. Again, there is a real good write up with a more technical description here somewhere. And yes, the guy at Best Buy is probably not your best source of information. I hope this helped.

Here is what I know from reading what other people have written...the two 6.5 speakers in the sail panels only get lower subwoofer frequencies sent to them from the Monsoon amplifier. If you buy a full range speaker, like an Infinity (which is a good mid grade speaker if that is what you want to go with), that is designed to reproduce the entire frequency range... they will not play any of the mid-range or high notes. I also know that the ohm rating is different between the front and rear speakers. After reading all of that, I decided to just replace my entire system. Again, there is a real good write up with a more technical description here somewhere. And yes, the guy at Best Buy is probably not your best source of information. I hope this helped.
    you think it'll sound bad if i go w that setup? i mean will i still get good bass and treble at least..what im tryin to say is will it sound as good at least as the stock monsoon system??

Bright Red

If you have the stock system, you will not get any treble out of your sail panel speakers. There is a set of speakers that will give you good sound from your door speakers based on the ohm rating that is sent to them, but I am not sure of the model. The 4" speakers in the hatch will give you treble but not a lot of bass due to the small size of the woofer. GM's idea was to have the sail panel speakers play only low notes in what the audio people call the Mid-Bass area.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

I say get some 67.2i's or a good set of components for the front (6.5s, tweeters, crossovers), some Elemental Designs 7kv.2s for the sail panels and some 6x9s for the rear. You'd have to do a little trimming for them to fit, but it shouldn't be to difficult.
    Last edited by squee; 06-18-2008 at 07:49 PM.

Bright Red

I say get some 67.2i's or a good set of components for the front (6.5s, tweeters, crossovers), some Elemental Designs 7kv.2s for the sail panels and some 6x9s for the rear. You'd have to do a little trimming for them to fit, but it shouldn't be to difficult.
    I think that would be a very good set-up if you are going to stay with the factory head unit and amp.

I think that would be a very good set-up if you are going to stay with the factory head unit and amp.
    67.2i's or a good set of components for the front (6.5s, tweeters, crossovers), some Elemental Designs 7kv.2s...where would i fine these speakers to buy man?

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

speaker sizes are

front door: 6.5"
    sail panels(the wall beside rear seat): 6.5"
    rear hatch(in the trunk area): 4"

i swapped out my front door speakers with the infinity 62.7i's. they are a pretty good speaker no complaints about them, for a stock system. they perform better than the stock speakers, and you'll have a harder time blowing them.

but whatever you choose, make sure you grab a pair of 2 ohm speakers for the front.(not too sure about the other speakers, but i think the 4" hatch speakers are a 4 ohm. you can find out just by pulling out your spare tire cover and popping out one speaker and looking at it, takes a second).

enjoy.
    Last edited by Insert; 06-19-2008 at 08:50 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Insert View Post
    speaker sizes are

front door: 6.5"
    sail panels(the wall beside rear seat): 6.5"
    rear hatch(in the trunk area): 4"

i swapped out my front door speakers with the infinity 62.7i's. they are a pretty good speaker no complaints about them, for a stock system. they perform better than the stock speakers, and you'll have a harder time blowing them.

but whatever you choose, make sure you grab a pair of 2 ohm speakers for the front.(not too sure about the other speakers, but i think the 4" hatch speakers are a 4 ohm. you can find out just by pulling out your spare tire cover and popping out one speaker and looking at it, takes a second).

enjoy.
    where can i find these 62.7i's. speakers? and btw thanks a bunch!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Just Google Infinity Kappa 62.7i. I don't think we're supposed to post links to non sponsor sites. (check CartronixPlus)

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

i used ebay, you can grab pair off there, and they are a direct fit. just dont use hte crossover they provide (monsoon setup is already crossed over.

thanks guys!

ok soo im gonna get the kappas for the doors. but what about the mid ones in the back seat?? kappas too? or something else better? and for the back whats a good 4inch 4 ohm speaker. im gonna buy it on crutchfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information