Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Rookie

What New speakers?

The passenger side door speaker is blown. Without having to buy new or used Monsoon speakers, What speakers can I put in the doors that will work with my stock monsoon system and sound great?

1999 Chevy Camaro

If your looking for cheap and good, I'd recomend the Rocksford Fosgates (Model#T162C). They sound AWESOME!! Nice and clear and good bass. I paid $150 for a set at BestBuy.

If your looking for high end, White Rascal, can recomend something better .

Rob
    Last edited by graphicsgod; 04-10-2006 at 02:20 PM.

black
    2000 Z28 (sold)

Infinity kappas, i just got a pair off ebay for $92 shipped.

The Rookie
    Great........ thanks guys!

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Infinity Kappa 62.7i's.. Unless you want to find another brand and modify it to make a seperate input for a tweeter. The Infinity 62.7i is the only choice you have if you don't want to modify it at all and is 2ohm like the stock speaker. Just don't use the crossover supplied with it, connect it just like stock. The Monsoon door speakers on the Camaro have 2 inputs(1 for the woofer and 1 for the tweeter) so any speaker will not work. The woofer is powered off the monsoon amp and tweeter off the headunit.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 04-10-2006 at 08:44 PM.

The Rookie
    thanks rotwiler

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

is my car the only one with 4" speakers in the rear? i thought they were 6.5 all around.. wtf?

2002 Z28

far rear hatch speakers are 4inch full range 4 ohm speakers and run only off the headunit in the Camaro.

JPNNH
    I just had BestBuy install their Kenwood for $69...They are great & cheap too!

The Rookie
    Bought the Infinity Kappas 62.7i's on line for 100 bucks including shipping. Should have them Monday. I'll let you know how they sound.

2002 Z28

Remember, do not use the crossover, connect them direct. I'm sure you will be happy with the sound.

The Rookie
    They sound good and thanks Rot I figured I wasn't supposed to use the cross over. They sound great! Now i have the stereo bug though and want to upgrade the whole system. Throttle body, gears and cam are coming first though.

I'm a Rockford Fosgate fan, Pioneers can be good too.

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Wait, so that Infinity speaker will just hook right up to the stock speaker's connection?

2002 Z28

Yep, and they sound good too! The 62.7i is dual input like stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobynine9
    Wait, so that Infinity speaker will just hook right up to the stock speaker's connection?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Good info here...both my door speakers are now blown and I was looking for a good replacement that would work with the stock monsoon system. Thanks.

2002 Z28

As far as I know...and I have researched this alot, the Infinity 62.7i and 63.7i is the only speaker that is a dual input 2 ohm direct replacement for the 98+ Camaro..not sure about the 97. There is a model of 4ohm Alpines that work with a little mod to the tweeter to make it work. The Pontiac cars have components, so there are more options, but they still need to be a really efficient speaker to work well with the Monsoon amp. I like the 62.7i's and very happy with the sound quality. They were released in 2005, so before 05 there were very limited options(basically the Alpines were the only choice or components). I have the 62.7i's in the sailpanel too, but I am running a seperate mtx amp and 2 memphis 10's, so I am not trying to get bass out of the 62.7i's. Most car audio shops don't have a clue about the Monsoon setup, even crutchfields says the 62.7i doesn't work with the stock system. Then when car audio shops see the dual inputs they normally connect the single input speaker to tweeter input since it is full range. Then you are not using the Monsoon amp at all and losing out on power. Since the tweeter is powered only off the headunit in the front doors and the woofer is powered only off the Monsoon amp it makes a big difference if you don't use the correct speakers. I have no plans on removing the Monsoon amp, I think with the Infinity's the Kenwood x790 hu and the 2 10's it sounds excellent.

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Alpine SPS 170-A
    Really cheap...dont distort at high level...bad thing is that they are 4 ohm... pretty decent speaker... I enjoy them!

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by rotwiler
    Most car audio shops don't have a clue about the Monsoon setup...
    So true!

Pewter
    1999 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by rotwiler
    As far as I know...and I have researched this alot, the Infinity 62.7i and 63.7i is the only speaker that is a dual input 2 ohm direct replacement for the 98+ Camaro..not sure about the 97. There is a model of 4ohm Alpines that work with a little mod to the tweeter to make it work. The Pontiac cars have components, so there are more options, but they still need to be a really efficient speaker to work well with the Monsoon amp. I like the 62.7i's and very happy with the sound quality. They were released in 2005, so before 05 there were very limited options(basically the Alpines were the only choice or components). I have the 62.7i's in the sailpanel too, but I am running a seperate mtx amp and 2 memphis 10's, so I am not trying to get bass out of the 62.7i's. Most car audio shops don't have a clue about the Monsoon setup, even crutchfields says the 62.7i doesn't work with the stock system. Then when car audio shops see the dual inputs they normally connect the single input speaker to tweeter input since it is full range. Then you are not using the Monsoon amp at all and losing out on power. Since the tweeter is powered only off the headunit in the front doors and the woofer is powered only off the Monsoon amp it makes a big difference if you don't use the correct speakers. I have no plans on removing the Monsoon amp, I think with the Infinity's the Kenwood x790 hu and the 2 10's it sounds excellent.
    rotwiler, you sound like you know what your talking about so I wanted to ask you a question
    I have a 99 Camaro without the monsoon setup and want to replace the speakers in my doors and in the back seat would the Infinity 62.7i fit in both the doors and the rear without any modifications, and do you think they would sound good without an amp pushing them?
    Last edited by Maro99; 05-01-2006 at 10:37 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information