SOM
    2002 SS

Question What happened to my bass?

Have a factory monsoon with a sub thump box in the rear. Alpine 10" R sub and kicker 400.1 amp lying on the floor. Worked great in my old z and pounded good in this car until a few days ago the bass just isn't there. Sub moves and is working. Green light on amp still. The line input converter was spliced into the right rear speaker I tried splicing into the right mid speaker to no avail. Still sounds like sub is working moving alot but I just don't feel nearly as much bass as before. Any ideas to check anything? Could something have come loose? Or does this sound like an amp issue?

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6

check the speaker box or if sub is mounted to box good. also check polarity of sub wires if dual voice coil.

SOM
    2002 SS

Didnt change a thing since I posted last night and on the way into work this morning there was no sub at all At least its off so i know there's a problem. Willcheck after work.

SOM
    2002 SS

Didnt change a thing since I posted last night and on the way into work this morning there was no sub at all At least its off so i know there's a problem. Willcheck after work.

SOM
    2002 SS

Orion you were right ! I checked the sub box and wow the sub is loose all the bottom screws were pulled from the box so it's kind of hanging

SOM
    2002 SS

Ok odd I used bigger and slightly longer wood screws and got the sub in really well. Now there is nothing at all. Amp light is on but there's no sound whatsoever :/ I'm hoping it's just the speaker input I'll check that shortly. Can line converters fail? I hope it's not the amp or sub they both look brand new still. I pulled the speaker out and all the jumpers and speaker wires are perfect still.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Ok odd I used bigger and slightly longer wood screws and got the sub in really well. Now there is nothing at all. Amp light is on but there's no sound whatsoever :/ I'm hoping it's just the speaker input I'll check that shortly. Can line converters fail? I hope it's not the amp or sub they both look brand new still. I pulled the speaker out and all the jumpers and speaker wires are perfect still.
    is the amp new? I have an old JL 6 channel that the rear right will go out ramdomly. I checked everything and it was relate to the output from the amp. while cleaning the trunk I accidentaly bump into the level knob(potenciometer) of that channel and it started to work again. It turns out it was dirty. I used some contact cleaner and it started to work. just something to check.
    1998 TA 130k A4, LS6 intake, TunedByFrost, Airlid, AIR and EGR delete, Borla exhaust, front Eibach lowering springs, LS6 valley cover, UMI TQ arm, UMI LCA's, UMI panhard bar, Poly engine mounts, BMR relocation brackets, Blistein HD shocks and struts, Oil catch can, Autotrix window fix.

Now I have an 2001 F150 5.4L

SOM
    2002 SS

Thanks so much for the input guys. Turns out the amp wouldn't get any signal from the line convertor directly connected to the mid woofer speaker wires (speaker disconnected) I connected the speaker with the line convertor in between and everything is perfect. In fact I'm an idiot for not noticing the diminished bass over the last 6 months from the sub being loose ( bottom of speaker was moveable about 1 inch out of the box) and it was barely being held in by the top 2 screws probably just due to the weight of the sub. It absolutely POUNDS now wow.

I want to slap myself for thinking all my CDs were just bad downloads over the last 6 months or so lol.

Thread Information