Wanting to Add 2 12's and a amp, What should i do?

Ok im wanting to add 2 12's to my t/a its a 98 im putting the box in the back seat with the back see folded down because no one really rides in the back. I was wondering what all i would need to install them into my stock monsoon stereo?

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Placing the subs in the back seat isn't the best place to put them. There seems to be an acoustic null here that cancels out sub bass. Many people have tried this and have been disappointed with the results. The best place in our cars for subwoofers is all the way in back. You can do what I did and use dual Stealthbox type enclosures (click my sig) or a box that fills the T-top well (talk to Steve at SubThump and tell him the White Rascal sent you). This is the better way to go if you want to have dual 12's. Stealthbox type enclosures make for a tight fit when trying to squeeze in a 12" sub.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

JHenley17
    I have a setup I've never seen before... I have a box built for 2 10s that faces the subwoofers downward and sits on top of the gas tank covered in gray vynil, so it's not noticeable at all unless you know what you're looking for, I've had people looking straight at it with the hatch open ask me where my subs were... not really the best idea, because I had to break the little privacy cover out so that I could completely remove it when I put the t-tops in the back, and I have to move it to get the plastic panel off to get to my spare. The good thing, though, I can have two subs keep my spare in easy access, which I have needed on about 5 occasions in the past year. The volume is low, I don't know the size exactly, but I guess that's a problem with any enclosures for our cars. My amp is down on the driver's side where the stealth boxes mount... it's just a piece of plywood on a metal bracket covered in the same vynil stuff as the box... looks good.

All that said, I'm thinking of going to stealth boxes when I get the money to upgrade either next summer or the summer after (if they've still got passenger side boxes available). I've got two old-ass Kicker Comp 10" subs on a Punch 400s amp (a measly 400 watts), so it's not as much as I'd like sometimes (but really, it's enough, since everything rattles and I've been able to get away so far without any noise pollution citations). So, I want more powerful subs and an amp, plus I'm wanting another amp to push some upgraded speakers, and I currently have nowhere to mount one.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Agree the back seat bass will not be great. To install a aftermarket amp you will need a line level converter to change the stock outs to rca. I had that in my car for about a year and then went with a aftermarket stereo. Sounded good and any stereo shop can do it for you or sell you one. Cost is about $30-$40 for the converter. Also there are some companies that sell some better ones that plug in to your harness. Isn't a big deal to do it though.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

could a person just get his audio in from the rear speakers?, and were do you get power at?

2002 Z28

I don't see why the rear speakers couldn't be used and add a converter to rca there. High level inputs on a amp suck, so you would still want to go with the converter. Even going from the converter to a Kenwood HU with 5 volt rcs's out made a big difference on the bass and could tell right away the difference. Not sure where to get a good power spot except the battery or for remote turn on etc at the HU.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2005 GTO

You could use the JL cleansweep. Just run the deck into that, and connect the amps to the cleansweep. Are you replacing the whole system?

2002 Z28

FYI, Soundgate makes simple plug in adaptors that do about everything from retaining the steering wheel controls to RCA outputs for a amp. May want to check them out, cost is a little more, but is easier to do than any other way. The RCA output is about $65 and pretty sure it plugs in behind the Monsoon HU with no other mods. I just picked up another MTX 2150x amp, old school true 450 watts rms off ebay for $40 plus shipping to have another. That is the amp I have in my car now and it is great.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 11-25-2005 at 07:01 PM.

Black
    1995 Firebird

Definitely do not put subs in the back seat. Like they said, it won't sound as good, and you will regret it one night when you would like to use your seat. I have had 3 different setups in my FBody, and my current one is my favorite. I have one JL Audio 8" W7 in a ported box built by yours truely (to JL spec). The sub is aimed up towards the hatch, which is supposed to add 3-5dB because of the shape of the window. It is run by a JL 250/1. I took it to a competition last summer because I was curious, and it hit 136.4 dB. Check out my site if you want a picture. Its on cardomain ride number 686485.

I changed my mind and went with 2 15" L7's in the back seat with a mmats amp. The subs are faced toward the watch and it sounds amazing. The whole car will shake to where u think the side mirrors are gonna fall off when turned up. I think im gonna leave it like that for a while.

i have Audiobahn subs i love them i would reccomend them

audiobahn Amps are nice too

Thread Information