nbm
    99 z28

want new sound system for the fastcar

ok here it goes. my door speakers are shot (i have the monsoon system). I went to best buy and ne. furniture mart and they tell me that they dont have any speakers that will work with the monsoon system. I assume that is crap but I would like to hook up my I pod to my stereo. so what would be a nice not too pricey way to go here? I like the pioneer units with the i pod hook up. another thing I'm a bit puzzled by is how to still run all 6 speakers with all new stuff. do I have to keep the factory amp for that? do they make special harnesses for the monsoon?

thanks.

p.s. car is not a daily driver. so I dont need a super thumpin setup. just a nice clean sound.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Yep, that's a load of crap. I have 6.5" MB Quart Reference Series speakers in my doors and they sound just fine. I'll be swapping out the sail panel and rears soon. I'm still researching what to go with for those. And I wanna keep the Monsoon head unit.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Any speaker will work. If you put a 4ohm speaker where there was a 2 ohm you will lose a little power but since you don't need thumpin that will be fine. You just need an adaptor for any camaro for the monsoon. The amp will have to be used unless you want to rewire the speakers.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyz28 View Post
    ok here it goes. my door speakers are shot (i have the monsoon system). I went to best buy and ne. furniture mart and they tell me that they dont have any speakers that will work with the monsoon system. I assume that is crap but I would like to hook up my I pod to my stereo. so what would be a nice not too pricey way to go here? I like the pioneer units with the i pod hook up. another thing I'm a bit puzzled by is how to still run all 6 speakers with all new stuff. do I have to keep the factory amp for that? do they make special harnesses for the monsoon?

thanks.

p.s. car is not a daily driver. so I dont need a super thumpin setup. just a nice clean sound.
    blah blah blah

okay take the busted speakers out, get them reconed at a sound shop, costs 20-30$'s per speaker for it, works like new and even better than original,

not sure why no one on here knows about reconing the original speakers i've done it to both of my 'subs' in the sailpanels, super crisp sound w/o paying $60+ per new one

get a headunit of your choosing and buy an $8 adapter at walmart for it. easy to install, if the ipod hookup cable runs through the back of the new h/u its easy to reroute into the glove box or down right behind the flipout cup holder
    Last edited by justinmc978; 11-11-2009 at 04:25 PM.

nbm
    99 z28

excellent! so I can just buy whatever head unit and speakers, get an adapter and POW! POW! good to go! sounds good to me. did not know at all about getting the old speakers repaired. I'll have to call around about that. I would think shops would rather sell ya new speakers than repair your old stuff.

Thanks everyone

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Get ready to do it again, because they're poor quality speakers overall.

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    blah blah blah

okay take the busted speakers out, get them reconed at a sound shop, costs 20-30$'s per speaker for it, works like new and even better than original,

not sure why no one on here knows about reconing the original speakers i've done it to both of my 'subs' in the sailpanels, super crisp sound w/o paying $60+ per new one

get a headunit of your choosing and buy an $8 adapter at walmart for it. easy to install, if the ipod hookup cable runs through the back of the new h/u its easy to reroute into the glove box or down right behind the flipout cup holder

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Get ready to do it again, because they're poor quality speakers overall.
    what happens when the speaker busts(well minne anyways) the rubbery lining around the paper cone just gets withered and torn, the cones themselves looked fine, the replacement stuff is a higher quality than original so lasts longer..

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

And, the way the Monsoon is wired, there are actually 8 speakers, not 6. It uses both 2 and 4 ohm also

Personally, I'd go with new speakers. The stock speakers leave a lot to be desired.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

what happens when the speaker busts(well minne anyways) the rubbery lining around the paper cone just gets withered and torn, the cones themselves looked fine, the replacement stuff is a higher quality than original so lasts longer..
    Or go 100% aftermarket. Eclipse head unit with Focals all the way around here. I have a 10" Kicker in the back. I have had many people say it sounds better than some real nice home stereo's... The factory stuff is JUNK...

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

The speakers are made by Delco Electronics and in every LS1 Camaro I've owned (which is 3) they have gone bad. I'd rather spend the money on better speakers then keep repairing those.

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    The speakers are made by Delco Electronics and in every LS1 Camaro I've owned (which is 3) they have gone bad. I'd rather spend the money on better speakers then keep repairing those.
    thusly you get them re-done with modern 00's material

well i dont have the money or time to spend on all new wiring and 6+speakers all the way around the car, i'd rather just spend 60 fixing the two busted ones that plug right back in, and be done with it, also i'm like OP, i dont care that much about the loudness/gangster subthump and i dont blare my music, as long as it sounds good and clear at a moderate level i'm fine.

just giving OP a cheap alternate solution that hasnt failed me yet

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I understand and respect that bud. At this point, all I've got are the aftermarkets in the doors because both factory ones went the way of the pooper. The mids and rears still seem okay, but I'm sure they'll go out at some point too. I'm still researching what to get to replace them.

thusly you get them re-done with modern 00's material

well i dont have the money or time to spend on all new wiring and 6+speakers all the way around the car, i'd rather just spend 60 fixing the two busted ones that plug right back in, and be done with it, also i'm like OP, i dont care that much about the loudness/gangster subthump and i dont blare my music, as long as it sounds good and clear at a moderate level i'm fine.

just giving OP a cheap alternate solution that hasnt failed me yet

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I used infinty for my front doors. I had a set of infinity tweeters that I installed in the factory tweeter location. The infinity speakers I used are 652.9i. Very clear and clean sound up front.
    Last edited by ORION WS6; 11-12-2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: add a picture

Thread Information