NBM
    99 TA

Trouble with subthump stealth box

Hey guys,

I just received a driver's side stealth box from subthump. I tried installing it, and understand its suppose to be a tight fit, but I can't get it back far enough to mount the plastic trim piece over the top of it. Also, the way it sits now, I wouldnt be able to put the t-top in without the sub rubbing it.

Anyone else have issues using their stealth box?

My previous set-up was with their amp rack (which I am reusing) and the rear deck box...and didn't have any issues with fitment.I tried it without the carpet as well...still no change.

Here are some pics.

The front part of the box is pretty close to where it needs to be, but the part against the back wall sticks out towards the passenger side too much (where I can't get the trim piece on). The car has never been in an accident and there is nothing behind the box...its rubbing hard against the backwall of the trunk space though.

NBM
    99 TA

anyone else use this box?

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

It looks to be a little long. This is not from subthump...

NBM
    99 TA

Did you have to modify anything to get your box to fit? I found out tonight that my box is hitting the corner screw for the tail light as well as the angle is off for the lower right corner, so its not sitting properly.

What brand is your box?

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

I did not have to modify anything to get the box to fit. I bought mine at a local stereo shop. I do know they buy them ready to install. I will try and fine out the manufacture of the box. I just know its not subthump.

NBM
    99 TA

alright cool, I received an email from subthump and apparently it was molded from a camaro, which has different mounting screw locations than firebirds do for the tail lights....which is one of the reasons why this box won't fit properly.
    I found out its hitting the corner mounting screw for my tail light as well as the angle on the front lower right corner is alittle off.
    I have been told Kee audio's stealth box is alittle smaller, so there is alittle more room for adjustments.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by peterlawl84 View Post
    alright cool, I received an email from subthump and apparently it was molded from a camaro, which has different mounting screw locations than firebirds do for the tail lights....which is one of the reasons why this box won't fit properly.
    I found out its hitting the corner mounting screw for my tail light as well as the angle on the front lower right corner is alittle off.
    I have been told Kee audio's stealth box is alittle smaller, so there is alittle more room for adjustments.
    Will subthump not just do a trade?

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I have no idea what brand mine is. I had the same problem, though. I had to cut off the tab for the changer, and bend the corner bracket up that you are talking about. Then I put screws through this bracket, and also screwed the interior trim to it. zeetwentyeight did the same thing.

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    Will subthump not just do a trade?

They just have one mold and it was made based off the Camaro. At first they did not believe me about it not fitting properly, he told me "I sell 300 of these a year for the last 7 or 8 years...so thats like 2000-3000 boxes and no one has every had an issue."
    He wants me to made a template for him, which I would not mind doing, but I do not want to keep going back and forth trying to get a box to fit right, it would be different if it was local. I might as well just build it myself...
    I was also told the kee audio box is alittle smaller so it allows for alittle more adjustment rather than just hitting the box and wedging it in.

NBM
    99 TA

Just an update:

I received the new box from subthump today and it fits properly now (they trimmed the baffle down to the shape of the template I sent them and also made the box shallower).
    I talked with another company that makes stealth enclosures and was told that the cubbyhole in Firebirds are ~1" shallower than that of Camaros. This would explain why Subthump's box was sticking out too far in my T/A.

Anyways, just wanted to say Steve was a stand-up guy and willing to work things out. Here are some pics of the final install. I already had the all silver amp and cap mounted from the previous set-up and did not feel like trying to rearrange everything when I added the 2nd amp this week as well.

Bright Red
    1998 Camaro SS

It looks tight

I have one and they work great, especially if they fit properly. Glad to see they worked with you. Goodwill goes a long way!

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by F55c6 View Post
    I have one and they work great, especially if they fit properly. Glad to see they worked with you. Goodwill goes a long way!
    I am glad they ended up cutting the box down for me, at first he was saying he would just trim the baffle...which would do me no good.

Also I assume you have a camaro from your info...so it should fit with no issues, since he designed the box off a camaro.

Bright Red
    1998 Camaro SS

It will fit

It actually looks like factory. Its tight, but it sits there perfectly. I also used Dynamat on the iside of the fender behind the box. I need to get some pictures. Check out some of the camaro's on Subthumps web site. If not, check it out and you'll see how its suppose to fit. I think they have some firebirds on there.

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by F55c6 View Post
    It actually looks like factory. Its tight, but it sits there perfectly. I also used Dynamat on the iside of the fender behind the box. I need to get some pictures. Check out some of the camaro's on Subthumps web site. If not, check it out and you'll see how its suppose to fit. I think they have some firebirds on there.

I am not arguing that it will fit a Camaro, I have already said that the box was designed from a Camaro, which has a deeper cubbyhole.

Also the issue has been resolved if you read my previous posts, subthump made the necessary modifications to the box so it fits in my T/A properly.

Thread Information